RIP Deadspin

RedSoxFan9

1 minute ago, Jose said:

Portnoy is overjoyed. Fuck that guy.

Seriously. He's probably thinking he'll get more clicks now that people like me don't have a sports site anymore. Well, joke's on him because most of Deadspin probably won't ever go to Barstool willingly. 

Also, this is relevant:

http://www.lawyersgunsmoneyblog.com/2019/10/can-quality-journalism-exist-in-an-age-of-extremist-capitalism

This is good:

You have to think and care about sports to read Deadspin, but if you do, it teaches you how to think and care about them (and more) more deeply than most websites get you to think and care about any of its subjects. It is, for now, the only sports publication I read every day: Its competitors repeat the official narratives a little too gladly (ESPN), diminished quietly under draconian owners (Sports Illustrated), or were killed ignobly (Grantland).

If it beggars your belief that a group of highly paid idiots can detonate an original, profitable, well-read publication out of ego and callousness, well: It’s happening here, and could happen again, even if there isn’t another site like Deadspin to ruin.

So, like, real talk here. What the fuck comes next? Deadspin was just about the only site, other than these boards, that I actually visited multiple times a day. They also had the best commenters on the Internet. It was the only place on the world wide web, where it wasn't just ok to read the comments, but you were missing out if you didn't.

On 10/31/2019 at 1:21 PM, CayceG said:

Yes. Jamboroo is hereby determined to be NOT ABOUT SPORTS. 

It's sports with a little bit of general pop culture and commentary mixed in, which is a microcosm of the entire site, and literally the appeal of the entire site. Fuck these private equity goons.

1 hour ago, Ghost_MH said:

So, like, real talk here. What the fuck comes next? Deadspin was just about the only site, other than these boards, that I actually visited multiple times a day. They also had the best commenters on the Internet. It was the only place on the world wide web, where it wasn't just ok to read the comments, but you were missing out if you didn't.

I'm in the same boat. It sucks man.

10 hours ago, Ghost_MH said:

I don't know. 

I'm on twitter and I follow some of the writers, but not all of them. 

But to me, I am just taking the passing of Deadspin like I took The Toast ending. Accepting it, remembering the good posts, and trying to move on. 

On 11/2/2019 at 9:17 AM, CayceG said:

I don't know. 

I'm on twitter and I follow some of the writers, but not all of them. 

But to me, I am just taking the passing of Deadspin like I took The Toast ending. Accepting it, remembering the good posts, and trying to move on. 

My biggest problem right now is that I actually don't know where to get my sports news from now. After so many years of Deadspin, I can't just jump on board any outlet that toes the company line or willingly drags a player because that's what the front office wants. I really don't want to do the $10/mo for The Athletic, but is that really what my choices come down to here? Let's call it ignorance on my part. Who are the good, player-friendly news outlets these days?