RIP Deadspin

RedSoxFan9

For me, I have basically stopped following sports outside of my local hockey team and twitter bitching about the Tennessee Titans. So Deadspin was my tangential sports site for me. I didn't really care about the actual sports stuff they wrote. Honestly, I'm probably not going to have another site for sports. 

I loved Deadspin because they unceremoniously shit on sports because they loved them and wanted better things. For me, I was there for the shitting. That probably says a lot of not-great things about me and why I consume what I consume, but whatever. 

I just won't go on to other sports coverage as long as a Deadspin-like thing doesn't exist. I'm just going to follow some writers on twitter, essentially. 

1 hour ago, Ghost_MH said:

My biggest problem right now is that I actually don't know where to get my sports news from now. After so many years of Deadspin, I can't just jump on board any outlet that toes the company line or willingly drags a player because that's what the front office wants. I really don't want to do the $10/mo for The Athletic, but is that really what my choices come down to here? Let's call it ignorance on my part. Who are the good, player-friendly news outlets these days?

I'd say The Athletic is by far your best choice here. 

1 hour ago, Ghost_MH said:

My biggest problem right now is that I actually don't know where to get my sports news from now. After so many years of Deadspin, I can't just jump on board any outlet that toes the company line or willingly drags a player because that's what the front office wants. I really don't want to do the $10/mo for The Athletic, but is that really what my choices come down to here? Let's call it ignorance on my part. Who are the good, player-friendly news outlets these days?

If you are looking to follow a specific team -- there are lots of choices of team-specific "blog" writers out there.  Given, they are team specific, it is hard to recommend any specific one -- for the Raiders, I have always found Bill Williamson (former ESPN, Raiders Snakepit, Forbes, etc.) and Levi Damien (former SBNation's SIlver & Black Pride, currently with USA Today Raider's Wire) give me interesting insight into my favourite team. YMMV, based on which teams you're following.

Just now, AbsolutSurgen said:

If you are looking to follow a specific team -- there are lots of choices of team-specific "blog" writers out there.  Given, they are team specific, it is hard to recommend any specific one -- for the Raiders, I have always found Bill Williamson (former ESPN, Raiders Snakepit, Forbes, etc.) and Levi Damien (former SBNation's SIlver & Black Pride, currently with USA Today Raider's Wire) give me interesting insight into my favourite team. YMMV, based on which teams you're following.

I live in Massachusetts. What Patriots-specific blog exists that is going to acknowledge how odious the fanbase is and what a terrible human, albeit genius coach, Belichick is? Same goes for Sawx Nation? At least Celtics fandom isn't that bad. Bruins fans aren't too shitty either...as long as you aren't attending a game in the Garden.

3 minutes ago, Ghost_MH said:

I live in Massachusetts. What Patriots-specific blog exists that is going to acknowledge how odious the fanbase is and what a terrible human, albeit genius coach, Belichick is? Same goes for Sawx Nation? At least Celtics fandom isn't that bad. Bruins fans aren't too shitty either...as long as you aren't attending a game in the Garden.

I don't know -- I don't follow Boston teams.  I can say that I have found voices for the teams I follow that are balanced.

However, your comments on the Patriots are pretty much spot on -- and refreshing to be acknowledged by a Patriots fan, who mostly seemed to ignore everything else because they are blinded by how good a coach Belichick is.

• 1 month later...