Jump to content

Comcast drops bid for 21st Century Fox


Recommended Posts

40 minutes ago, SFLUFAN said:

Absolutely, but this is is the greater of the two evils.

I'm not really sure about that. There's the evil of content consolidation vs the evil of content being weaponized in the service of distribution. The evils of the former are clear, those of the latter have yet to really materialize. Comcast's purchase of NBC/Universal was only recently let off the leash, AT&T only just bought Time Warner (assuming the appeal doesn't change anything), and net neutrality is still freshly in the grave. Disney as a dominant force in content is still reliant on that content to generate revenue, so their incentives will always be to get more people to see their stuff, and you end up with things like Movies Anywhere. These other conglomerates have so much incentive to put up barriers and make their platforms the only or best place to get their stuff.

 

I don't think it's clear how these mergers of distribution and content creators is going to shake out. It could be that net neutrality is reinstituted, mitigating the worst consequences of those mergers, and the distribution side ends up paying for more and better content. Or maybe AT&T and Comcast end up destroying their media brands in service of their delivery platforms.

 

Mega Disney is obviously bad, but I think we'll have to wait and see if it really ends up being worse than the alternatives.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Guess I'm not, I'm not all into the multimedia details like folks are. Hell, I don't watch TV like most folks in general. But from where I stand, if anybody would ask my opinion on Comcast, it would be negative just from what I have seen prior to this bid. I just don't watch TV enough to care but I know there was a lot more at stake here than just the X-Men and FF with this.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I'm no fan of all the consolidation going on but Comcast is the worst company ever. I don't want Disney owning everything and exerting more pressure on theaters and the like, but Disney at a bare minimum does have some good content creators and directors under their umbrella. Comcast has proven to be nothing but a disaster as the owner of NBC. The network is worse in every respect when it comes to sports, original programming, and news than it was 10 years ago.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, johnny said:

The x-men movies are mostly forgettable. I’ve recently watched the older ones and it really makes me appreciate the MCU. 

MCU movies are mostly forgettable too.

 

The difference is X-men has Deadpool, Logan, Days of the Future Past. Fox has shown that they are willing to go past your typical superhero stories and in to R rated territory.

 

I am not convinced Marvel will do the same.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Dragonseeker said:

MCU movies are mostly forgettable too.

 

The difference is X-men has Deadpool, Logan, Days of the Future Past. Fox has shown that they are willing to go past your typical superhero stories and in to R rated territory.

 

I am not convinced Marvel will do the same.

They have Deadpool and Logan. 

 

Apocalypse was fucking awful. I think Days of Future Past being great happened by accident considering their track record. 

 

The Guardians movies are great. This board loves Thor Ragnarok. Black Panther was great. Infinity War was great. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 7/19/2018 at 5:44 PM, johnny said:

They have Deadpool and Logan. 

 

Apocalypse was fucking awful. I think Days of Future Past being great happened by accident considering their track record. 

 

The Guardians movies are great. This board loves Thor Ragnarok. Black Panther was great. Infinity War was great. 

 

Actually, they have Deadpool, Logan, Days of the Future Past, First Class, and X2.

 

Guardians are great for a laugh. Thor Ragnarok is great fun. Black Panther was good, except for the ending. Infinity was great.

 

The point is, Marvel movies are fun, but they almost never even attempt to be anything more. Or different. They have no guts. Infinity War is the only movie with true guts. But even that, we'll see how Avengers 4 address the "death" of characters.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Dragonseeker said:

 

Actually, they have Deadpool, Logan, Days of the Future Past, First Class, and X2.

 

Guardians are great for a laugh. Thor Ragnarok is great fun. Black Panther was good, except for the ending. Infinity was great.

 

The point is, Marvel movies are fun, but they almost never even attempt to be anything more. Or different. They have no guts. Infinity War is the only movie with true guts. But even that, we'll see how Avengers 4 address the "death" of characters.

X2 doesn’t hold up imo. Have you seen First Class recently? There are some cool ass parts but so much of that movie is boring. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 7/20/2018 at 1:44 AM, johnny said:

They have Deadpool and Logan. 

 

Apocalypse was fucking awful. I think Days of Future Past being great happened by accident considering their track record. 

 

The Guardians movies are great. This board loves Thor Ragnarok. Black Panther was great. Infinity War was great. 

 

Watched it this morning and after really hating the tone, ended up really enjoying it.  Genuine laugh out loud moments, though as with all movies outside of the MCU main canon, it's hard to care about the antagonist.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...