Dog ownership associated with longer life, especially among heart attack and stroke survivors

Dog ownership may be associated with longer life and better cardiovascular outcomes, especially for heart attack and stroke survivors who live alone, according to a new study and a separate meta-analysis published in Circulation: Cardiovascular Quality and Outcomes, a journal of the American Heart Association.

https://medicalxpress.com/news/2019-10-dog-ownership-longer-life-heart.amp

Full disclosure: I love dogs and have a Brittany named Oddo (best dog ever) and my fiancée has a lab mix. 

1 minute ago, Mr.Vic20 said:

But of course! She's a lovely dog, but dumb as a stump, and its always a surprise to her. 

Mine loves to sleep between the couch and the ottoman when I’m sitting there, and gets stepped on all time, same surprised look. I think he secretly likes it. 

• Haha 1

I think studies have shown that pet ownership in general is beneficial to your health and mental health. Also all those studies about married people living longer and happier. It's probably just bad to be lonely all the time. So if you do live alone try getting a cat or a dog or whatever your circumstances will allow. Shit I bet even a turtle or hamster would help out a little. 

6 minutes ago, Dodger said:

I think studies have shown that pet ownership in general is beneficial to your health and mental health. Also all those studies about married people living longer and happier. It's probably just bad to be lonely all the time. So if you do live alone try getting a cat or a dog or whatever your circumstances will allow. Shit I bet even a turtle or hamster would help out a little. 

As long as you don’t get two hamsters. If you do, and they have two sets of babies, you’ll reinforce it’s a cold hard world. - lessons from my childhood

• Shocked 1