Shawn Layden departs Sony

Pikachu

https://gamedaily.biz/article/1256/shawn-layden-departs-sony-amid-restructuring-confusion-and-potential-power-struggle

Shawn Layden departs Sony amid restructuring confusion and potential power struggle

"This is the least amount of clarity we've ever had on a new console this close to transition,” the source said. “I believe that the [global restructuring] is exponentially exacerbating the already difficult process of transitioning to a new generation. And now we’re getting nervous. Read: very nervous."

With how well they handled the transition to PS4 and how well they've done everything this gen, I'd find it hard to believe they mess anything up with the PS5 launch.

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, JPDunks4 said:

https://gamedaily.biz/article/1256/shawn-layden-departs-sony-amid-restructuring-confusion-and-potential-power-struggle

With how well they handled the transition to PS4 and how well they've done everything this gen, I'd find it hard to believe they mess anything up with the PS5 launch.

Perhaps you've forgotten how Sony handled PS2 to PS3, how Nintendo handled Wii to Wii U, how MS handled Xbox 360 to XBox One, etc.

If there’s internal power struggles, then sure.  That’s a big hurdle.

But in all likelihood, most of the defining plans for the PS5 hardware were made years ago.  I don’t expect what’s in the box to be affected by this point.

The price and software strategy, perhaps.

23 hours ago, Bacon said:

More like Shawn Laydoff

It is with great emotion that we announce that DayOnePatch poster Bacon will be departing D1P. His visionary leadership and crispy goodness will be greatly missed. We wish him success in future endeavors and are deeply grateful for his years of service. Thanks for the horrible pun, Bacon!

5 minutes ago, Chairslinger said:

It is with great emotion that we announce that DayOnePatch poster Bacon will be departing D1P. His visionary leadership and crispy goodness will be greatly missed. We wish him success in future endeavors and are deeply grateful for his years of service. Thanks for the horrible pun, Bacon!

I can't believe I just got fryerd.

55 minutes ago, crispy4000 said:

If there’s internal power struggles, then sure.  That’s a big hurdle.

But in all likelihood, most of the defining plans for the PS5 hardware were made years ago.  I don’t expect what’s in the box to be affected by this point.

The price and software strategy, perhaps.

Doesn't what goes into the box affect the price though? Which affects software strategy?

16 minutes ago, crispy4000 said:

Yes, but those decisions wouldn't be dramatically changed with an executive leaving this far into R&D.

Sure they could... those decisions aren't set in stone until mass production starts. This quote right here should be enough to at least make people curious.

"This is the least amount of clarity we've ever had on a new console this close to transition,” the source said. “I believe that the [global restructuring] is exponentially exacerbating the already difficult process of transitioning to a new generation. And now we’re getting nervous. Read: very nervous."

Sounds like the actual unit has been decided on yet and it's making third parties nervous.

16 minutes ago, skillzdadirecta said:

Sure they could... those decisions aren't set in stone until mass production starts. This quote right here should be enough to at least make people curious.

Sounds like the actual unit has been decided on yet and it's making third parties nervous.

Given the context of the rest of the quote, it sounds like devs might be getting their kits later than they would have liked.  Or possibly not having enough info about when it launches.

The Switch ended up launching fine, in spite of the unfortunate passing of Iwata less than 2 years prior.  His influence was still all over the thing, according to those at the company.  Again, that speaks to the general R&D and direction of a console's goals being outlined prior.  Not to mention game development timelines.

27 minutes ago, crispy4000 said:

Given the context of the rest of the quote, it sounds like devs might be getting their kits later than they would have liked.  Or possibly not having enough info about when it launches.

The Switch ended up launching fine, in spite of the unfortunate passing of Iwata less than 2 years prior.  His influence was still all over the thing, according to those at the company.  Again, that speaks to the general R&D and direction of a console's goals being outlined prior.  Not to mention game development timelines.

Comparing Nintendo and the Switch to Sony and the Playstation is kinda pointless... Nintendo does what they do and they stay in their lane. Sony consoles have always been more ambitious than Nintendo's. Not to mention their corporate cultures are different. All I'm saying is if third party devs are nervous, they're nervous for a reason. 

41 minutes ago, skillzdadirecta said:

Comparing Nintendo and the Switch to Sony and the Playstation is kinda pointless... Nintendo does what they do and they stay in their lane. Sony consoles have always been more ambitious than Nintendo's. Not to mention their corporate cultures are different. All I'm saying is if third party devs are nervous, they're nervous for a reason. 

Doesn't change the fact that the biggest R&D decisions are made early in development, years before a console launches.  That's as true for Nintendo as it is for Sony and Microsoft. 

According to the quote, 3rd parties are nervous about what they don't know.  To speculate on what's bugging them most:

- Dev kits?  If the big publishers don't have them yet, yes, that would be a cause for concern.

- Final specs?  Wouldn't be expected at this point.

- Ballpark metrics?  Should be clear by now, but may not be info shared with all yet.

- Console cost?  Only a major concern to 3rd parties if Microsoft and Sony both throw out 'second job' price tags.
- Launch timeframe?  Important to know, but again, Microsoft will launch this year and devs will be prepping for that.

- Network/streaming/subscription/cross-play plans?  Could be question marks, but launch window releases may not need full answers yet.
- Chances of a major PS5 flop?  No major publisher would bet on that and rescind support.  Multiplat will stay the norm.

I think we can narrow it down.

On 10/1/2019 at 6:48 PM, JPDunks4 said:

On 10/1/2019 at 7:00 PM, Kal-El814 said:

Perhaps you've forgotten how Sony handled PS2 to PS3, how Nintendo handled Wii to Wii U, how MS handled Xbox 360 to XBox One, etc.

Ya I assumed it probably wasnt accurate.

Even though each company has had a flop of a transition, I'd give each a benefit of the doubt to not totally repeat the same mistakes again. 

Sony learned from the mistakes of the PS3.  Hopefully MS learned from the mistakes of the XB1.  Nintendo will continue to take risks and do whatever so who knows.  

I'll prob pick up a PS5 at launch and Scarlett.  With more and more games being cross platform though itll be interesting to see if that affect next gen adoption at all.

6 minutes ago, JPDunks4 said:

Ya I assumed it probably wasnt accurate.

Even though each company has had a flop of a transition, I'd give each a benefit of the doubt to not totally repeat the same mistakes again. 

Sony learned from the mistakes of the PS3.  Hopefully MS learned from the mistakes of the XB1.  Nintendo will continue to take risks and do whatever so who knows.  

I'll prob pick up a PS5 at launch and Scarlett.  With more and more games being cross platform though itll be interesting to see if that affect next gen adoption at all.

I feel like that article did a lot of "connecting the dots" on the whole thing, which seemed odd since Cerny is heading it again and made a very developer-friendly system the first time. As much as we remember usually at least one company screwing up each gen, it's perfectly reasonable to assume that they'll both be fine next-gen.