BO Report: Toy Story 4 underperforms domestically ($118 mil), breaks record worldwide UPDATE: Actuals put it at $120 mil

https://deadline.com/2019/06/toy-story-4-opening-weekend-box-office-childs-play-1202635964/

4TH UPDATE Sunday AM writethru, following Saturday 7:35 AM update Refresh for chart and more analysis: The opening for Disney’s Toy Story 4 is still lower than anticipated when this weekend started going from $136M on Friday midday to $123.7M yesterday morning to a Disney-reported $118M. Industry estimates are spotting it at $119.5M. Global is a $238M opening record for an animated movie, higher than Incredibles 2‘s $235.8M, and that’s fantastic and bodes well for a $900M to $1 billion-plus final worldwide total.

https://www.boxofficemojo.com/weekend/chart/?yr=2019&wknd=25&p=.htm

2QH4glO.png

Crazy when nearly 120 million is under performing! Will be interesting to see how it holds up over the next few weeks. WOM has been strong.

23 minutes ago, sblfilms said:

Crazy when nearly 120 million is under performing! Will be interesting to see how it holds up over the next few weeks. WOM has been strong.

I was worried if End Game was going to make Disney set higher than normal expectations for other projects. Maybe it did, maybe it didn’t. But $120million is pretty damn strong. 

28 minutes ago, Spawn_of_Apathy said:

I was worried if End Game was going to make Disney set higher than normal expectations for other projects. Maybe it did, maybe it didn’t. But $120million is pretty damn strong. 

According to BOM, Disney placed their estimates at $140. BOM went with $160.

Incredibles 2 made $180 (on Father's Day weekend, though). With 9 years of inflation, I really felt it would do better than $8 million more than 3. 

But with a great CinemaScore, still the highest opening gross of the series, and a worldwide record (that's really the story), it'll make all the money it deserves to make.

1 hour ago, SaysWho? said:

According to BOM, Disney placed their estimates at $140. BOM went with $160.

Incredibles 2 made $180 (on Father's Day weekend, though). With 9 years of inflation, I really felt it would do better than $8 million more than 3. 

But with a great CinemaScore, still the highest opening gross of the series, and a worldwide record (that's really the story), it'll make all the money it deserves to make.

A lot of industry folks are questioning Disney’s decision not to date it for Father’s Day.

Given how poor most of the summer has been, and how well this one was reviewed, I was certainly in the camp of people overestimating it's potential performance. Still, with the right multiplier and a similar international BO as its predecessor, it seems it could still hit that precious $1B WW total, so I think Disney will be fine.

I don’t think this is really underperforming. Disney probably screwed up not putting it out Father’s Day Weekend and I remember last years Incredibles 2 being really hyped. This had some hype but not on the same level. I think it did quite well. 

I had no idea this was even out, and I like across the street from a fucking movie theater! I'm sure there's been plenty of advertising, but the only thing that's reached me was that Forky FunkoPop which I thought was a joke. Movie was good, though.

On 6/27/2019 at 7:44 AM, GoldenTongue said:

*remembers when $115M opening weekend set records*

Christ, I’m getting old. 

What brought the passage of time into stark relief for me was the realization that Toy Story 3 was released nearly a decade a ago.

I honestly thought that it hadn't been more than 5 years.

35 minutes ago, SFLUFAN said:

What brought the passage of time into stark relief for me was the realization that Toy Story 3 was released nearly a decade a ago.

I honestly thought that it hadn't been more than 5 years.

Same. I honestly can't believe it came out in 2010. I was like: "we're already getting a Toy Story 4?" but nope that shit was 9 years ago. 

1 hour ago, Greatoneshere said:

Same. I honestly can't believe it came out in 2010. I was like: "we're already getting a Toy Story 4?" but nope that shit was 9 years ago. 

Only two years less than the time between TS2 and 3.

Side note: when I was a kid and TS2 released, my assumption was that every other Pixar movie would be a Toy Story sequel. So when Monsters released, there was a Finding Nemo trailer. And then Incredibles, and then Cars, and I'm like, "Huh, where's my TS3 wtf?" :lol: 

45 minutes ago, sblfilms said:

I would be totally down for Pixar to revisit Toy Story once a decade.

After 4, yes. I didn't say that after 3. After 4, it's clear to me that when they say, "We'll only do it if we think the story is worthwhile," they're serious.

Knowing my luck, 5 will be Brave quality and this post will make me look like an idiot.