Elden Ring - Information Thread, update (02/21): Shadow of the Erdtree DLC "Collector's Edition Messmer the Impaler Statue" trailer

4 minutes ago, GameDadGrant said:

What the...?!? Are you goons calling me a "casual" gamer because I don't like From Software's BS? :silly: 

YOU'RE ALL PERMABANNED EFFECTIVE IMMEDIATELY. 

:p 

Listen. I don't mind challenging games. I've gone through the OG Xbox's Ninja Gaiden. I beat Gamecube's F-ZERO GX. Practically the entire Castlevania series is my bitch. But those games at least don't pull this garbage of putting an enemy that can "stomp you into a mud hole" right up front. And the excuse of "oh, well you can just go somewhere else what's the problem?" doesn't hold water. Why is there anything near the start that can do that? It doesn't make any sense. 

I'll give it another shot soon. See how it goes.

If it didn't click at your first go I don't think you will enjoy it. But I could be wrong. 

28 minutes ago, GameDadGrant said:

What the...?!? Are you goons calling me a "casual" gamer because I don't like From Software's BS? :silly: 

I never called you casual.  I just said your opinion was different than most others.

28 minutes ago, GameDadGrant said:

Why is there anything near the start that can do that? It doesn't make any sense. 

It's there to teach you a lesson about how to play the rest of the game.  Don't assume you are able to beat anything in this open world.  Sometimes you have to run away, only to come back later.

• Halal 1

1 hour ago, GameDadGrant said:

Listen. I don't mind challenging games. I've gone through the OG Xbox's Ninja Gaiden. I beat Gamecube's F-ZERO GX. Practically the entire Castlevania series is my bitch. But those games at least don't pull this garbage of putting an enemy that can "stomp you into a mud hole" right up front. And the excuse of "oh, well you can just go somewhere else what's the problem?" doesn't hold water. Why is there anything near the start that can do that? It doesn't make any sense. 

I'll give it another shot soon. See how it goes.

Like I said it's a staple of the series

Demons Souls - Stray Demon

Dark Souls - Asylum Demon

Dark Souls 2 - Fat ass Hippo creature

Dark Souls 3 - Ludex Gundyr

Bloodborne - Werewolf

3 hours ago, GameDadGrant said:

Why is there anything near the start that can do that? It doesn't make any sense. 

Honestly it's there as a skill check. That enemy is perfectly beatable early in the game and if you can't beat him, unlike other From games, you can go somewhere else and come back or ignore him entirely... you don't NEED to beat this enemy If you're talking about who I think you are) early in the game. Doesn't impede progress at all. It's actually pretty GOOD game design especially when you factor in their other games that straight up have tough bosses that if you can't beat them early, you just can't progress the game. THIS was From's compromise between their hardcore Souls fanbase and the more casu- I mean MAINSTREAM audiences that they were trying to capture with this game.

• True 1

4 hours ago, Biggie said:

I need to get a Deck so I can try out this piece of shit game in handheld mode 

8 hours ago, Biggie said:

Honestly I enjoyed what I played of it but at a certain point it became to challenging. I know I can summon help but I didn’t want to be bothered by all that and I lack focus and determination that these games require. Sekiro was great until it wasn’t. 

Are you even aware.. Nevermind

• Haha 1

22 minutes ago, Keyser_Soze said:

See, I just had to know how to speak your language. 🫂

I'll be honest, your analogy was terrible and not even remotely the same as my experience with Elden Ring. And as I posted prior, I was going to give the game another shot regardless.

But! I appreciate the thought. And as with all things...it's the thought that counts. 

Wow though...imagine if someone gave up on the OG Super Mario Bros. simply because they got KO'd by the first Goomba. Wild. A Goomba is far more easy to avoid than a merciless killer on horseback! 

3 minutes ago, GameDadGrant said:

Wow though...imagine if someone gave up on the OG Super Mario Bros. simply because they got KO'd by the first Goomba. Wild. A Goomba is far more easy to avoid than a merciless killer on horseback! 

Giant Bomb used to have a show called Arcade Pit, which was like a gameshow of sorts and some challenges involved playing a game. This happened fairly often "getting KO'd by the first goomba" when someone played SMB :p

• Haha 1

Alright, I played a bit more today. I went WAAAAY out of my way to avoid the horseback killer and found…that everyone in this game wants to kill me. Are there no friendly NPCs in this game?! I haven’t even done anything yet, why attack me on sight?

I’ll keep exploring but this game gives off a terrible first vibe. I’m really pushing myself to try enjoy this garbage game.

• Haha 2
  • Hype 1

20 minutes ago, GameDadGrant said:

Alright, I played a bit more today. I went WAAAAY out of my way to avoid the horseback killer and found…that everyone in this game wants to kill me. Are there no friendly NPCs in this game?! I haven’t even done anything yet, why attack me on sight?

I’ll keep exploring but this game gives off a terrible first vibe. I’m really pushing myself to try enjoy this garbage game.

Um, if you explored you would have found a vendor and a place to upgrade weapons exactly near the spot of the horse rider. Lol, I have no idea what you're doing. Also, unlock 3 different sites of grace. You will get a ring to summon a horse that gets you around the world really fast. 

You have a really negative thought pattern going into this game which will not help at all. If you truly hate one of the best games ever made just drop it and play a Nintendo Switch game in handheld mode. I'm being sarcastic but you are being ridiculous now.  😄 

• Haha 1

25 minutes ago, Paperclyp said:

@best3444

Honest question how many games do you have going at a time :p  / do you tend to complete most of the games you start? 

I have going:

Elden Ring 

Banishers Ghosts of New Eden 

Witcher 3

FF7 Rebirth 

Yes, I make good progress on these games daily and will beat them all. I'm not working right now so I have a lot of time. I wouldn't normally have this type of load if I were working.

But mixing console and deck time is great for me. My main attention right now is on the amazing Rebirth atm. 

• Shocked 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, best3444 said:

Um, if you explored you would have found a vendor and a place to upgrade weapons exactly near the spot of the horse rider. Lol, I have no idea what you're doing. Also, unlock 3 different sites of grace. You will get a ring to summon a horse that gets you around the world really fast. 

You have a really negative thought pattern going into this game which will not help at all. If you truly hate one of the best games ever made just drop it and play a Nintendo Switch game in handheld mode. I'm being sarcastic but you are being ridiculous now.  😄 

Haha yeah I have no idea what I'm doing either. :p  I haven't stumbled across this vendor but I'll keep an eye out for them. And I always take time to play a Switch game in handheld mode. F-Zero 99 and Smash Ultimate are on regular rotation. :call:

6 hours ago, Keyser_Soze said:

The first guy you talk to when you get outside is friendly :p

Okay, fair. You are correct. 

39 minutes ago, skillzdadirecta said:

Anybody ever see this in game before? I know i haven't

I've come across those enemies but don't recall that move. There are only 3* of those enemies in the game and they are in late-game areas. So you'll be high leveled and unlikely to be grabbed when you meet them because you'll generally know how to fight them by then.

*3 of those variants. They exist as non-rotten versions earlier in the game.

• 1 month later...
  • Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to Elden Ring - Information Thread, update (02/21): Shadow of the Erdtree DLC "Collector's Edition Messmer the Impaler Statue" trailer