Elden Ring - Information Thread, update (02/21): Shadow of the Erdtree DLC "Collector's Edition Messmer the Impaler Statue" trailer

well, my vacation time has come to and end, the neck beard has been shaved, and "normal" life has resumed. Sad, but much was accomplished in the lands between this past week:

Level 340 reached, 18 more to go (this will let me max endurance at 99)

New build complete and tweaked to my tastes:

Bull goat armor set

Dual wield - Blasphemous blade+10, sword of Milos+10 (now I gaining health and magic back with each kill)

Holy Focus swap in on left hand for two defense buff spells and one AOE attack spell (Black flame's protection, Golden vow, Burn o' flame)

Talismans: Shard of Alexander, Dragoncrest great shield, Bull goat's, ritual shield 

Results: Malenia's head on the pike for the 3rd time and only the final boss to close out NG+++ ! :sun:

Current DLC prep projects:

Get to 99 endurance

top off 99 Rune Arcs

• Shocked 1
  • Hype 2

I don’t understand how people enjoy this game (or any game from From Software). 

Starting a new game, getting used to the controls and world…then get one-shotted by the first enemy you happen across? How is that fun?

Screw you, From. Freakin’ troll development studio. Bah. This team and its games are NOT for me. They are dead to me. 

• True 1

11 minutes ago, GameDadGrant said:

Starting a new game, getting used to the controls and world…then get one-shotted by the first enemy you happen across? How is that fun?

Screw you, From. Freakin’ troll development studio. Bah. This team and its games are NOT for me. They are dead to me. 

I can understand why people love their games. I like games that others would not play if they were free.  I guess its just what you find fun and enjoyable. I do agree with you though, their games are not for me and I will never waste another penny on them.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

22 minutes ago, GameDadGrant said:

I guess you never played Elden Ring. 

On 2/27/2022 at 12:32 PM, Biggie said:

Its a fantastic game. And I am not even a Souls guy.

31 minutes ago, Biggie said:

I can understand why people love their games. I like games that others would not play if they were free.  I guess its just what you find fun and enjoyable. I do agree with you though, their games are not for me and I will never waste another penny on them.

11 minutes ago, best3444 said:

Didn't say it wasn't a good game but with every From software game I will always hit a wall and then it becomes not fun. Also you need to find a job instead of searching out my quotes from 2 years ago you lazy piece of shit.

1 hour ago, Bacon said:

Since 2009 these games have had the same controls. You only need to learn one.

No.

1 hour ago, best3444 said:

I guess you never played Elden Ring. 

Actually, it was Elden Ring that sent me over the edge! LOL. I was playing it over the weekend and when I got immediately killed by the first monster thing you come across, I was like "oh shit, here we go again" but then it might have been a story beat? Because when the game continued there was this story sequence and I started from a completely different area. But when I went out exploring, I saw some enemy on a horse in the distance. So I made sure to do my best to avoid it and not get close. 

Sonuvabitch chased me down and one-shotted me. I was even engaging it! I was trying to avoid the battle and make some actual progress. 

Not gonna lie, I was pissed and rage quit. :skull:

• Haha 1
  • Wrong 1

5 hours ago, best3444 said:

Level 36 now. Made big progress today. Did most of you guys expose an area where you level quickly? Like a cheat area or did you legitimately level up?

There's a level where you can power level at early levels. If you're at 36 and could use some nitrous to your level engine you could try it out. It's a process to get there but it's worth it

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Biggie said:

Didn't say it wasn't a good game but with every From software game I will always hit a wall and then it becomes not fun. Also you need to find a job instead of searching out my quotes from 2 years ago you lazy piece of shit.

Man, yall know too much personal shite about one another. Yall are definitely friends or frenemies or something like that. Maybe just don't address each other for a while? Too much dirty laundry up in this piece

45 minutes ago, eventide11 said:

Man, yall know too much personal shite about one another. Yall are definitely friends or frenemies or something like that. Maybe just don't address each other for a while? Too much dirty laundry up in this piece

I'm finished talking to him. He shot a personal attack my way a couple of days ago that was completely uncalled for.

He knows I just retired and don't need a job. I am relaxing right now enjoying my time off. He is just jealous as fuck and I know it. I play videogames while he works 5 hours a day and cries like a bitch. 

1 hour ago, Bacon said:

You refuse to learn the controls even once?

Yeah. Not for stuff like these that are so frustrating to play. I’ve got a huge backlog of games that are more to my tastes. I won’t waste my time on Souls or even Elden Ring.

If others enjoy them, that’s cool. But From Software games just don’t vibe with me.

• Halal 2

19 minutes ago, best3444 said:

I'm finished talking to him. He shot a personal attack my way a couple of days ago that was completely uncalled for.

He knows I just retired and don't need a job. I am relaxing right now enjoying my time off. He is just jealous as fuck and I know it. I play videogames while he works 5 hours a day and cries like a bitch. 

First of all this so called shot was joke. Stop being so sensitive. Second why would I be jealous of you? Anytime nobody has to work is a good time in my book. Enjoy your games. 

3 minutes ago, GameDadGrant said:

Yeah. Not for stuff like these that are so frustrating to play. I’ve got a huge backlog of games that are more to my tastes. I won’t waste my time on Souls or even Elden Ring.

If others enjoy them, that’s cool. But From Software games just don’t vibe with me.

Well, alrighty then.

1 hour ago, best3444 said:

You really don’t need a job?

I Dont Believe You Will Ferrell GIF

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, best3444 said:

I'm assuming you grinded though, correct?

No. That's what I'm saying. The game wasn't difficult to me so I did not grind. I've stated many times in this thread that natural progression and exploration levels you up naturally enough to not pose too much of a challenge.

When I played I wandered around a bit, before I fought Margit. After I beat him I went south down to Castle Mourne (which is actually the natural progression of the game) after that I skipped Stormveil Castle entirely and explored Liurnia and the academy before I came back down to Stormveil and then yeah just kept going on and on without having too much of a hard time.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, best3444 said:

Level 36 now. Made big progress today. Did most of you guys expose an area where you level quickly? Like a cheat area or did you legitimately level up?

Beat bosses to gain the most runes. Before going into a dangerous area spend all of your runes to level up. Save the Golden Rune pickups as emergency money.

Caelid+Dragonbarrow (the south east area) gives you a lot of runes for bosses. A couple of enemies can be cheesed without fighting them for some quick runes you can get right from the start of the game. You can make a Night's Calvary jump off a bridge by just luring him to a spot with kukris. Greyoll, the largest sleeping dragon, can be killed easily with any bleed weapon.

• Thanks 1

Max level Elden Ring characters won't be able to breeze through Shadow of the Erdtree when it arrives in June. The DLC will use a separate leveling system borrowed from Sekiro, according to director Hidetaka Miyazaki.

In an interview with Famitsu (translated by Reddit user theangryfurlong), Miyazaki said in addition to the normal rune-based leveling system, you'll also have a Sekiro-like "attack power" stat unique to the DLC areas. Presumably, raising it will make you do more damage on top of the stats you already have.

Miyazaki said the system was added to replicate the freedom you had in the base game to explore and level up before tackling the bosses, and he specifically says it'll allow you to "more easily experience this even in the high-level range

Jack Nicholson Yes GIF

• Shocked 1

17 hours ago, GameDadGrant said:

Tree Sentinel? 

23 minutes ago, best3444 said:

@Bacon @Keyser_Soze

How difficult is Dark Souls 2? I have that in my steam library. Worth checking out?

You're in trouble if you tag bacon on this.

That being said I played DS2 right before I started Elden Ring, they are somewhat similar except you don't have the luxury of exploring the world if you get stuck.

Here are the previous posts ITT of me talking about the game:

On 4/15/2022 at 10:33 AM, Keyser_Soze said:

This will probably be an unpopular opinion but I think Dark Souls 2 is probably a good starting point if you enjoyed Elden Ring. As I've mentioned before I took a stab at playing it before this game came out and it shares a lot of similarities with ER. If you know what to expect going in (since you've played Elden Ring) you'll see how the game kind of nudges you in the right direction but you still have to figure that direction out. But once you do, it's all pretty straightforward. You can fast travel to bonfires (which you can't do in Dark Souls 1 early on) and it's got lots of NPCs and other stuff.

I would say if difficulty turns you off then Demon's Souls is near the harder ones. Also Sekiro is hard, as skills said (I think) Sekiro is more mechanics focused, you can't really grind your way to getting good, you'll have to be skilled at the game. It's less of a souls game and more like a Tenchu game.

On 3/7/2022 at 8:10 AM, Keyser_Soze said:

EDIT: I was telling someone the other day that this reminds me of Dark Souls 2 in a lot of ways (which I played more recently) that the game subtly guides you to other areas. In DS2 there's an area early on with a bunch of powerful enemies and a boss and you can get there but it's really hard. The game is actually guiding you to the forest to kill some other bosses first.

4 minutes ago, Keyser_Soze said:

You're in trouble if you tag bacon on this.

That being said I played DS2 right before I started Elden Ring, they are somewhat similar except you don't have the luxury of exploring the world if you get stuck.

Ok, I figured as much. Now that you mention it, I remember bacon hated this game. Ok....I won't touch it. I have Elden Ring anyway. 

1 minute ago, best3444 said:

Ok, I figured as much. Now that you mention it, I remember bacon hated this game. Ok....I won't touch it. I have Elden Ring anyway. 

Read my edit.

And you're not going to touch it because HE hated it?

This is a guy with very particular tastes. Remember when he told you to kill a bunch of Druids and you couldn't figure out how to do it  but he only told you to do that because he personally doesn't like Druids and wants to kill them :p

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Keyser_Soze said:

Read my edit.

And you're not going to touch it because HE hated it?

This is a guy with very particular tastes. Remember when he told you to kill a bunch of Druids and you couldn't figure out how to do it  but he only told you to do that because he personally doesn't like Druids and wants to kill them :p

No, I made my initial statement because you said this:

"Elden Ring, they are somewhat similar except you don't have the luxury of exploring the world if you get stuck".

But I might as well try it out since I own it.