Elden Ring: Shadow of the Erdtree (06/21) - Information Thread, update (06/20): significant content update (bug fixes, balance changes, etc.) for the base game to release with expansion

11 hours ago, stepee said:

I got the blood fang now but it wants 5 more levels of dex and I’m not sure if I want to bother with that over just using the greatsword for now, I’ll keep it to consider later. I also went back and beat that dragon

Reveal hidden contents

allllll by myself, I’m amazing now.

Level up dexterity by 5. You will thank me later. Just farm.

12 hours ago, stepee said:

I got the blood fang now but it wants 5 more levels of dex and I’m not sure if I want to bother with that over just using the greatsword for now, I’ll keep it to consider later. I also went back and beat that dragon

Hide contents

protecting the glintstone key

allllll by myself, I’m amazing now.

I would use it for humanoid and animal bosses  Bleed is an excellent buildup for anything that is flesh and blood. Plus its ash of war is great for striking and creating distance between you and the enemy, and it has a good follow up.

Not sure what level you are, but banging out 5 levels is pretty quick.

I've been larping about the capital and thought it would be harder so I told myself I'd just stop once I keep getting my face stomped in, but that never happened. Beat Godfrey and Morgott on the first try each. I did miss some exploration so I'll keep larping about to see what I missed. Had more problems with that fucking Crucible Knight than I did either named boss. I've officially crossed 100 hours and level like 93 or so. This is definitely one of my favorite games of all time. And I don't mind taking my time because this is definitely one of those games I'll wish I could play for the first time all over again. 

24 minutes ago, Dodger said:

I've been larping about the capital and thought it would be harder so I told myself I'd just stop once I keep getting my face stomped in, but that never happened. Beat Godfrey and Morgott on the first try each. I did miss some exploration so I'll keep larping about to see what I missed. Had more problems with that fucking Crucible Knight than I did either named boss. I've officially crossed 100 hours and level like 93 or so. This is definitely one of my favorite games of all time. And I don't mind taking my time because this is definitely one of those games I'll wish I could play for the first time all over again. 

On the subject of LARPing I need From Soft to make an early renaissance game so I can pretend it's a warhammer souls game.

Btw the hardest part of being a Warhammer Fantasy fan is having to spell renaissance.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Bacon said:

NO! People needed to live in ignorance! This knowledge is a curse and shouldn't be passed on to anyone! 

IB4 we start walking around and hitting every wall 5 times to make absolutely sure there isnt a weapon or item we don't need.

So, I only fought trump's wife once yesterday and now I'm just trying out different things in the fight to if one of my styles of fight is better than the others and I have encountered something I believe is 100% bullshit and should be changed with that fight. Like, I almost want to say it is a bug because I can't believe this would be allowed to happen. Like, it seems legit unfair to one particular playstyle. 

Spoiler
Spoiler

And that playstyle is if you are a greatshield or even a regular shield user. Especially in NG+ I often turn to sword and board to just not bother with dodging and my first playthru has been going on so long that I've started to used this combo while casually going through a level. So, I wanted to try it on the boss first before I really started to beat the boss with my greatswords. And the boss has a mechanic where she heals when she hits you. This is where the bullshit comes in. Even if she is doing Zero damage to you through a shield she will still heal on hit. It doesn't matter if she does damage or not. As long as she hits you, she heals. To me, that completely invalidates a playstyle. Depending on RNG, she can totally out heal your damage because of her many long attack chains. I've gotten her to half health and she has healed to full because I just kept blocking and attacking with a spear. Seems outrageous. I don't believe it is fair for her to heal off of your 100% damage negated attacks. 

• True 1

54 minutes ago, Bacon said:

So, I only fought trump's wife once yesterday and now I'm just trying out different things in the fight to if one of my styles of fight is better than the others and I have encountered something I believe is 100% bullshit and should be changed with that fight. Like, I almost want to say it is a bug because I can't believe this would be allowed to happen. Like, it seems legit unfair to one particular playstyle. 

Hide contents
Spoiler

And that playstyle is if you are a greatshield or even a regular shield user. Especially in NG+ I often turn to sword and board to just not bother with dodging and my first playthru has been going on so long that I've started to used this combo while casually going through a level. So, I wanted to try it on the boss first before I really started to beat the boss with my greatswords. And the boss has a mechanic where she heals when she hits you. This is where the bullshit comes in. Even if she is doing Zero damage to you through a shield she will still heal on hit. It doesn't matter if she does damage or not. As long as she hits you, she heals. To me, that completely invalidates a playstyle. Depending on RNG, she can totally out heal your damage because of her many long attack chains. I've gotten her to half health and she has healed to full because I just kept blocking and attacking with a spear. Seems outrageous. I don't believe it is fair for her to heal off of your 100% damage negated attacks. 

Im largely axe and board, and had the same reaction.

Also hate that you take bleed damage buildup when you 100% block an attack throughout the rest of the game. 

4 hours ago, Bacon said:

Hide contents
Spoiler

Thats the one major bullshit mechanic ive heard of so far. 

b2d877aebb596fb81ccf35b9f0232a1f.png

Huh, the fight really isn't that bad, but I also got super lucky when I beat her. My offhand already had Bloodhound's Step on it so I made use of that, but it kinda feels like cheating even though I still got hit. But that move is pretty godly for dodging. Like, there was the trade off of having less bleed by swapping Bloodhound's Fang to the offhand so you could say I made a sacrifice for mobility over damage, but I also applied bleed grease to my main hand so I could still cause bleed damage with critical attacks. I used high poise armor to prevent my character from getting staggered mid-swing. I swapped out two of my talismans. One increased a bunch of physical stats but at the cost of taking more damage, and I changed that to a 20% damage negation talisman. I swapped out my increased stamina regen talisman for increased HP Flask restoration. I pre-buffed with rune arc (Radahn Great Rune), special vial for increased stam and stam regen, and applied bleed grease as soon as I entered the boss arena. I fought the boss more than 14 times, but I know I really only tried/went hard 14 times because of how many bleed greases I had left. I did a lot of encounters with no buffs trying to see exactly what would be the best way to go about the fight. Of course, the best way was essentially the way I have played all along. Also, like all major boss encounters I used no summons , 6/14 flasks remained when I finished the fight, and I was level 154. 

I'll spoiler the rest as I actually talk about the fight. Long post btw. 

Spoiler
Spoiler

As I mentioned in a different post I went in with spear and great shield but that was an utterly useless combination due to the boss's healing mechanic. After that, I gave it a few serious attempts with buffs, heavy armor, and dual-wielding. I kept missing my jump attacks which I have heavily relied upon ever since I fought the Crucible Knight in Limgrave. Not making it to the second phase like this, except for maybe once, I went back to trying other things. I two-handed bloodhound's fang with nothing else for a good number of rounds. Here I kind of realized how my overreliance on jump attacks was fucking me over as I kept jumping short and my jump attack wouldn't track her one move which left her open for a jump attack and kept jumping in the opposite direction. So, I started R1 spamming and I found this had a lot of enemy tracking and would stagger the boss when she didn't have hyper armor which was during specific animations and attacks. She actually has hyper armor often so it isn't some cheesy stagger fest. 

What was always my downfall during this time was her omni-slash attack, Waterfowl Dance(WFD). Even though I have beat the boss I couldn't get many of the dodge timings right and when I did happen to dodge many or all of the slashes it was really just pure luck. So, while it would result in the boss healing, I decided it was time to try out a combo I rarely use, Greatsword and Greatshield. During these rounds, I felt really unlucky. I kept taking large chunks of damage from WFD as she somehow kept hitting my back when my shield was up. Of course, when that didn't happen the trade-off of blocking WFD vs her "life steal" was worth it. Overall tho, I felt like this phase of my testing was getting me nowhere and so I figured it was time to bring out the crutch known as Bloodhound's Step. 

Now, I have always had Bloodhound's step on my off-hand since I got the Ash of War, but I only used it to traverse lava lakes and other such movement impairing areas. I have known it was a bit busted with the low FP cost, but that really isn't my preferred playstyle and I really dislike giving up the weapon art on Bloodhound's fang. But it wasn't like I haven't used rings and the like that make your default roll better in previous FROM games so it wasn't something that was fully off the table for me. So now is when I fully committed to beating the boss. Now, I still didn't full buff right away. I wanted to get used to dual-wield again and I changed up my vial a few times before deciding to go stam/stam regen and swapping in the increased HP flask restoration trinket. 

I went into the fights only attacking with L1 at first and here I understood things that were vital to clearing the fight for my playstyle.  It was worth it to trade attacks at times. Her casual attacks only did 1/8th or so of my bar and if I attacked through the damage I would stagger her for 3 solid hits, which was the full L1 combo, even if she sidestepped. Some of her more basic attacks were non-threatening for someone of my level and HP values. I also realized that I was the reason why I was not landing jump attacks and that the boss leaves lots of openings and her recovery time isn't as fast as it seems.

See, she does a good amount of side-stepping and there is one that always seemed to have a massive opening. The issue is that I would roll as this sidestep was an attack, and then jump which would put the boss behind me. Turns out I had to think like a boss to kill the boss. I had to delay my attack just like all of these stupid bosses tend to do to bait you into an early roll. So, I would stand still after rolling and my character would auto-rotate to face the boss. Even when she has reached her landing spot there is quite a bit of time where she does absolutely nothing. Once my character faced the boss all I had to do was push forward a little bit and then unleash my jumping attack. I had always felt like I was missing that thing I needed to beat the fight and this was what I was missing. Of course, I still wasn't perfect or even good at dodging WFD even with Bloodhound's Step but at most I only need to heal once instead of twice and I knew that was good enough. 

Now I really didn't enter Phase 2 of the fight often so I can't say much about it. There is one move that I would just die to if it happened. She would shoot out butterfly clones that would skate towards you and would try to run you through. It was one clone at a time which would disappear on hit/miss followed by another clone, and another, and another, and finally the boss herself would sweep down from the sky and try to gut you. That was basically an instadeath for me. Which leads to how I beat the boss. Basically, I just killed her before she would use that move. 

So, there were two things I needed to do. Kill Phase 1 before she can do two WFDs. If she did 2 I wouldn't have enough FP to use Bloodhound's Step in Phase 2 to dodge her clones or the enhanced WFD. The second thing I needed to do was to not let the boss use her clones and abuse her openings. And this is how I got lucky which led me to beat the fight. See, in her phase 2 transition the boss starts off by jumping to the sky, turning into a giant flower meteor, which then "flowers" into a big AoE that inflicts rot. However, this leaves her open for a very, very long time. As the petals fall she just sits there. It is free damage and there is a timing to it so you can inflict maximum damage while taking minimal damage/rot damage and I nailed that timing. I build up so much posture damage during that part that I break her posture nearly the moment she recovers from her flower meteor. But that isn't what is lucky. What IS lucky is that she happened to make the flower meteor her second big attack.

When she recovers from the meteor she uses some enhanced basic attacks before using another big attack. She has 3 to choose from. Enhanced WFD, Clones, and Flower Meteor. Now, I think it might be a Health thing for her to use a second Flower Meteor as this wasn't the first time she as used that move a second time, but it was the first time she didn't use WFD or Clones beforehand. And I think that is because I happened to do an insane amount of damage in her Flower Meteor recovery phase. I think I pushed her HP to the point where the game decided it was time to use it again. Well, that was a mistake and I totally fucked that bitch in the ass and the Chef's Kiss was that I killed the boss by breaking her posture and finishing the fight with a Critical Attack. 

And that was how I beat Trump's wife, which was like 2-3 hours ago now. 

And to end this long ass post, here is a copypasta from twitch chat that I prolly need to spoiler so I will

Spoiler

God I fucking need scarlet rotussy I never wanted to breed with anyone more than I want to with Malenia. I'd do fucking ANYTHING for the chance to get Malenia, Goddess of Rot pregnant. Why would Miyazaki create something so perfect?! Honestly guys, I just fucking can't anymore.

13 hours ago, Dimden said:

Talk about being a hyped-up boss. All my friends told me he was crazy difficult, but honestly, it was oversold. The journey to get to him was more difficult than the actual boss itself.

Reveal hidden contents

That being said, I love the whole aesthetic and he's a cool boss. Just underwhelming in terms of difficulty.

He was pretty difficult for me at the time.  It was a fun fight though that I thoroughly enjoyed.  I wasn't spec'd very well though as it was before my Malenia fight.

7 hours ago, JPDunks4 said:

Im largely axe and board, and had the same reaction.

Also hate that you take bleed damage buildup when you 100% block an attack throughout the rest of the game. 

Yea that pissed me off earlier as well, the bleed on 100% phys blocking. It makes no sense, the weapon didn't strike you.

7 hours ago, BloodyHell said:

How?

I think my Aya Neo never synced it's saves to the cloud so when it finally did it had an older save for my main playthrough and overwrote the most recent one.  So about 8 hours gone. Was disappointed so I didn't play last night but will xontinue my journey today.

30 minutes ago, Zaku3 said:

I think my Aya Neo never synced it's saves to the cloud so when it finally did it had an older save for my main playthrough and overwrote the most recent one.  So about 8 hours gone. Was disappointed so I didn't play last night but will xontinue my journey today.

That sucks. Im sure you'll get that progress back quick tho.

How do you like the Aya Neo?

I wish I could afford one right now, but had to settle for the Steam Deck, which is waiting for me at home when I get back from our trip later this morning.  Even bought a second copy of Elden Ring for it last night. Gotta boost those sales numbers for our lord and savior, Miyazaki San.

3 hours ago, BloodyHell said:

That sucks. Im sure you'll get that progress back quick tho.

How do you like the Aya Neo?

I wish I could afford one right now, but had to settle for the Steam Deck, which is waiting for me at home when I get back from our trip later this morning.  Even bought a second copy of Elden Ring for it last night. Gotta boost those sales numbers for our lord and savior, Miyazaki San.

Where did you go on vacation? I hope you actually enjoyed yourself instead of feeling awful for not being able to game. Games aren't going anywhere. 

50 minutes ago, best3444 said:

Where did you go on vacation? I hope you actually enjoyed yourself instead of feeling awful for not being able to game. Games aren't going anywhere. 

Just to visit my wifes mother and extrnded family. She hasn't been able to see them since the pandemic started.

Some questions and thoughts on the game from a From Software/Souls newb.

First, thank you to those that responded and nudged me towards the game. I'm really enjoying it.

Thoughts:

The game for me is at it's best in the open world. I love how the map works and find the SoG and respawn system works. I like how the world is so interesting with stuff to see and do and that most of it can be found by looking critically at the map. So far I've taken down several world bosses (both the horsemen bosses, the dragon, several of the mini-dungeons, and Margit.

Quests:

I like that they are there and how they don't automatically put an icon on your map leading you exactly to the spot. However, some sort of a log to let you know that there is something to do in X area would probably be a good Quality of Life improvement. 

Stormveil Castle:

I've headed here as my next step and am reminded why I've avoided Souls games for the most part so far. I don't mind the tough encounters but I do mind having 5-10 minutes of replaying an area over and over again to get back to those really aggravating Banished Knights. I've died to those things more times than any of the bosses (probably combined). The bosses, you respawn close can quickly re-engage to learn how they fight and devise a strategy. They seem to continually attack me without breaking and have long enough range it's tough to get distance to heal. So if anyone has any tips for these asshole's I'd love to hear it (playing Vagabond, mostly with a Dex/Str build and using a +2 Bloodhounds fang ATM). The ones I've taken down so far I basically get them with a backstab, bloodhounds finesse, then a jump attack. However when I have to face them head on they almost always take me out because of their combination of range and frequent combos make it difficult to hit then retreat.

For what it's worth, I have similar struggles with other "elite" type shield/spear enemies. So any tips on those I'd love to hear.