Baldur's Gate III - Information Thread, update: Larian doesn't plan to release DLC/expansions for BGIII nor develop BGIV

so im completely stuck in act 2. 

im doing the 

Spoiler

gauntlet of shar. and im at the one where you fight yourself and im getting absolutely destroyed. im even sneaking up and suprising them to at least eliminate 1 before the battle starts. and im still basically getting destroyed in the first turn. 3 party members go down instantly. 

is there a trick to this? 

32 minutes ago, atom631 said:

im doing the 

Hide contents

gauntlet of shar. and im at the one where you fight yourself and im getting absolutely destroyed. im even sneaking up and suprising them to at least eliminate 1 before the battle starts. and im still basically getting destroyed in the first turn. 3 party members go down instantly. 

I don't really remember but the key to most battles is to make sure you have at least 1-2 characters with a high initiative. Also enter turn based mode right before battle and potion of speed/coat weapons of key members. Also cast any buffs. 

If you have a high initiative character going first giving him a CC scroll can help, like Evard's Black Tentacles/Spike Growth etc. If you have a caster get them in difficult terrain/slow them then cast silence. 

41 minutes ago, atom631 said:

im doing the 

Reveal hidden contents

I think the trick is:

Spoiler

You can only kill the character with the same mirror character

But I’m not sure if that actually helps you. Otherwise seemed like a normal battle to me. 

@Air_Delivery @Paperclyp - I gave up and looked it up and its so ridiculously obvious. 

Spoiler

you separate the party and go in with your pc solo. sneak in and attack. 

it shouldve been obvious considering the rest of the trials you had to do solo  

lol. I feel like an idiot. 

anyway I completed that whole area…but im about to do a massive save scum and do the last part all over. 

Spoiler

I jumped in to the gauntlet doing the other quest where your looking for Art’s item to jog his memory and wandered in there. i had already beat the surgeon and didnt go back to progress arts quest bc i saw raphael out there and just continued on not realizing its a massive part of the story.   I dont think ive even explored half of act II yet. 

anyway, shadowheart perma died during the final battle, but I was so close to finishing it i said what the hell and figured ill resurrect her at camp. i saved nightsong bc it seemed like the right thing to do. i go back to camp and shes fucking pissed!! and leaves my party. i cant play without her. im too attached. 

plus I didnt realize i was going to lock myself out of so many other quests.  

I love this game! 

1 minute ago, atom631 said:

@Air_Delivery @Paperclyp - I gave up and looked it up and its so ridiculously obvious. 

Hide contents

you separate the party and go in with your pc solo. sneak in and attack. 

it shouldve been obvious considering the rest of the trials you had to do solo  

lol. I feel like an idiot. 

anyway I completed that whole area…but im about to do a massive save scum and do the last part all over. 

Hide contents

I jumped in to the gauntlet doing the other quest where your looking for Art’s item to jog his memory and wandered in there. i had already beat the surgeon and didnt go back. i saw raphael out there and just continued on not realizing its a massive part of the story.   I dont think ive even explored half of act II yet. 

anyway, shadowheart perma died during the final battle, but I was so close to finishing it i said what the hell and figured ill resurrect her at camp. i saved nightsong bc it seemed like the right thing to do. i go back to camp and shes fucking pissed!! and leaves my party. i cant play without her. im too attached. 

plus I didnt realize i was going to lock myself out of so many other quests.  

I love this game! 

There is a sweet very rare ring called Killer's Sweetheart in the Gauntlet of Shar that I missed that gives you an auto crit if you kill something first on a long rest. So make sure you get it. 

Fuck, this is so much funnier since playing BG3 :lol:

Also, patch 3 really f’d some things up: you can’t attack (ranged/magic) or use actions through door openings now, your character has to get through the doorway. For example, if you have a character who used all of their movement points positioned at an open doorway and try to use a range attack it’ll say “path blocked” or “not enough movement” (as it tries to move them into the next room) when targeting an enemy in that next room. I’m guessing they were trying to fix the exploit some people were using where you could stack boxes at a wall and then use jump to leap over the boundary, but wound up borking regular gameplay. There’s also some major quest bugs introduced in Act II now (strange ox is in enemy form as soon as you enter last light inn and will kill Dammon unless you immediately run there and kill it before his hp runs out).

I wish there was a way to roll back to Patch 2 tbh

14 hours ago, Spork3245 said:

Fuck, this is so much funnier since playing BG3 :lol:

Also, patch 3 really f’d some things up: you can’t attack (ranged/magic) or use actions through door openings now, your character has to get through the doorway. For example, if you have a character who used all of their movement points positioned at an open doorway and try to use a range attack it’ll say “path blocked” or “not enough movement” (as it tries to move them into the next room) when targeting an enemy in that next room. I’m guessing they were trying to fix the exploit some people were using where you could stack boxes at a wall and then use jump to leap over the boundary, but wound up borking regular gameplay. There’s also some major quest bugs introduced in Act II now (strange ox is in enemy form as soon as you enter last light inn and will kill Dammon unless you immediately run there and kill it before his hp runs out).

I wish there was a way to roll back to Patch 2 tbh

Oh thank you for posting this. The door thing happened to me last night and it was driving me nuts trying to figure out why I couldn’t attack 

15 hours ago, Spork3245 said:

Also, patch 3 really f’d some things up: you can’t attack (ranged/magic) or use actions through door openings now, your character has to get through the doorway. For example, if you have a character who used all of their movement points positioned at an open doorway and try to use a range attack it’ll say “path blocked” or “not enough movement” (as it tries to move them into the next room) when targeting an enemy in that next room. I’m guessing they were trying to fix the exploit some people were using where you could stack boxes at a wall and then use jump to leap over the boundary, but wound up borking regular gameplay.

As someone who has played a ton of Gloomhaven and engaged in a tremendous amount of door camping gamesmanship and lamented that if you're on a door tile you're technically not in either of the rooms the door connects to... I always smile when shit in games goes stupid around doors.

Just now, Kal-El814 said:

As someone who has played a ton of Gloomhaven and engaged in a tremendous amount of door camping gamesmanship and lamented that if you're on a door tile you're technically not in either of the rooms the door connects to... I always smile when shit in games goes stupid around doors.

Tangentially, how did you manage Gloomhaven setup/tear down? I really like it, but holy fuck it's like an hour to set up and an hour to tear down and it drains my will to play :p 

1 hour ago, legend said:

Tangentially, how did you manage Gloomhaven setup/tear down? I really like it, but holy fuck it's like an hour to set up and an hour to tear down and it drains my will to play :p 

I manage it by being the one that owns the game and insisting that players come to my house, where I can set it up on a dedicated gaming table I spent a couple thousand dollars on (this one, if you're interested or curious, though I paid a good deal less before less during a Kickstarter before COVID ruined everything) that has a recessed surface and a topper so I can fuck off at the end of the night, cover it up, and still have a table I can use. :p

Kidding (KINDA?) aside... I use an insert that I got from The Broken Token. I keep my map tiles separate in one of Romney's binders full of women that I put full size sleeves in and then sort alphabetically. The owner of TBT turned out to perhaps be not so great but there are other, similar inserts that really do help. Now that I have the muscle memory from the organizer, I can probably set up a game and break it down and it'll take me 15 minutes at the start and the end. It also helps that we play intermittently so our campaign has lasted like... 5 years and I have lots of practice. I got a similar insert for Frosthaven, though my main concern is throwing my back out lifting the fucking thing. I wish I was kidding but between the hardware and the sleeves the thing is probably pushing as many pounds as I have years.

Mentally though I'm wired in s way that I find game organization, which includes setup and breakdown, relaxing and soothing. That helps!

• Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, Kal-El814 said:

I manage it by being the one that owns the game and insisting that players come to my house, where I can set it up on a dedicated gaming table I spent a couple thousand dollars on (this one, if you're interested or curious, though I paid a good deal less before less during a Kickstarter before COVID ruined everything) that has a recessed surface and a topper so I can fuck off at the end of the night, cover it up, and still have a table I can use. :p

Kidding (KINDA?) aside... I use an insert that I got from The Broken Token. I keep my map tiles separate in one of Romney's binders full of women that I put full size sleeves in and then sort alphabetically. The owner of TBT turned out to perhaps be not so great but there are other, similar inserts that really do help. Now that I have the muscle memory from the organizer, I can probably set up a game and break it down and it'll take me 15 minutes at the start and the end. It also helps that we play intermittently so our campaign has lasted like... 5 years and I have lots of practice. I got a similar insert for Frosthaven, though my main concern is throwing my back out lifting the fucking thing. I wish I was kidding but between the hardware and the sleeves the thing is probably pushing as many pounds as I have years.

Mentally though I'm wired in s way that I find game organization, which includes setup and breakdown, relaxing and soothing. That helps!

Thanks! I do have some 3d printed organizers for it and they helped, but it still always felt like a drag. I also have an Wyrmwood modular gaming table coming in December, so I suppose that should also help with leaving things set up. Maybe I need to look into a binder as well and give it another go after that!

Just now, legend said:

Thanks! I do have some 3d printed organizers for it and they helped, but it still always felt like a drag. I also have an Wyrmwood modular gaming table coming in December, so I suppose that should also help with leaving things set up. Maybe I need to look into a binder as well and give it another go after that!

I have perhaps too much Wyrmwood stuff, including one of their modular desks. Turns out one of their creative directors got accused of harassment by a bunch of women, so there's just no getting away from this nonsense. But I've played on a few MGTs and they have a very solid price / quality ratio, especially from a domestic manufacturer. I spent a wad on their GM screen and I should really kick the tires on that one of these days.

2 hours ago, Kal-El814 said:

I have perhaps too much Wyrmwood stuff, including one of their modular desks. Turns out one of their creative directors got accused of harassment by a bunch of women, so there's just no getting away from this nonsense. But I've played on a few MGTs and they have a very solid price / quality ratio, especially from a domestic manufacturer. I spent a wad on their GM screen and I should really kick the tires on that one of these days.

Yeah I started hearing about that after I ordered the MGT. It really feels impossible to find a clean org. I will also probably still end up buying their MGT chairs which they recently teased just because deciding where to get good chairs has been tricky. Sigh. Glad to hear the product is at least good though!

• Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to Baldur's Gate III - Information Thread, update: Hotfix #7 has been released
5 minutes ago, Spork3245 said:

Have you ever played KOTOR? Did you like it?

Yes I absolutely loved KOTOR and it was my favorite game on Xbox. That being said, I watched countless videos of BG3 and it's just not for me. I really understand the greatness behind it though.

7 minutes ago, best3444 said:

Yes I absolutely loved KOTOR and it was my favorite game on Xbox. That being said, I watched countless videos of BG3 and it's just not for me. I really understand the greatness behind it though.

It doesn’t play too dissimilarly from KOTOR in terms of the overall experience and companion interactions. The main difference is that BG3 is pure turn-based for combat instead of the hybrid style that KOTOR had. I was thinking yesterday that it reminds me a LOT of KOTOR in the way the story branches and how the world and companions changes/reacts.
Do you just not enjoy high-fantasy style games? It’s a shame you don’t have a gaming PC because you could buy it on Steam and return it if you didn’t like it (as long as you play less than 2 hours).

7 minutes ago, Spork3245 said:

It doesn’t play too dissimilarly from KOTOR in terms of the overall experience and companion interactions. The main difference is that BG3 is pure turn-based for combat instead of the hybrid style that KOTOR had. I was thinking yesterday that it reminds me a LOT of KOTOR in the way the story branches and how the world and companions changes/reacts.
Do you just not enjoy high-fantasy style games? It’s a shame you don’t have a gaming PC because you could buy it on Steam and return it if you didn’t like it (as long as you play less than 2 hours).

I just don't enjoy turned-based combat or the graphical style. Over the head view is not ideal for me as well. Believe me, I did research on this and I know I won't like it. 

• Hugs 1

8 minutes ago, best3444 said:

I just don't enjoy turned-based combat or the graphical style. Over the head view is not ideal for me as well. Believe me, I did research on this and I know I won't like it. 

I hope it comes to GP and PS+ so you can give it a shot. The story and RPG elements (like character interactions) are absolutely incredible, but, yes, it's certainly not a hack & slash and is more strategy-based.

1 minute ago, Spork3245 said:

I hope it comes to GP and PS+ so you can give it a shot. The story and RPG elements (like character interactions) are absolutely incredible, but, yes, it's certainly not a hack & slash and is more strategy-based.

Oh, I understand the depth in its RPG elements and amazing character choices and interactions. It's fuckung awesome. Yea, that would be dope if it ever hit gp or ps+.