Baldur's Gate III - Information Thread, update: Larian doesn't plan to release DLC/expansions for BGIII nor develop BGIV

49 minutes ago, Kal-El814 said:

I think her point is pretty clear?

D&D is clunky and you need a good GM to make it sing, a video game based on that system is going to be inherently limited by the fact that the "GM" can't flex the story and creative space beyond what's already written, even though what's written is good.

Her point about a PC getting randomly ambushed and pushed to death makes this obvious I think; no GM would do that to you in a TT game unless everyone opted into Looney Toons mode. Good TT RPGs thrive when failure is fun, even in combat, and a video game can't really do that since the rules of combat need to be consistent. The stakes are lower in a CRPG since you can just quick load, where your PC getting dunked in a TTRPG is likely going to feel awful (again, unless the system / playstyle leans into that).

She calls D&D straight up bad though, not clunky. I would argue that a forgiving dungeon master is not a significantly less clunky solution that reloading a save if you are really upset about an outcome, or using the specific to BG3 systems they’ve employed, like withers. 

It’s not that she doesn’t have some valid claims, they are just couched behind hyperbole to the point where I can’t tell what she actually thinks of the game. 

2 hours ago, Kal-El814 said:

I think her point is pretty clear?

D&D is clunky and you need a good GM to make it sing, a video game based on that system is going to be inherently limited by the fact that the "GM" can't flex the story and creative space beyond what's already written, even though what's written is good.

Her point about a PC getting randomly ambushed and pushed to death makes this obvious I think; no GM would do that to you in a TT game unless everyone opted into Looney Toons mode. Good TT RPGs thrive when failure is fun, even in combat, and a video game can't really do that since the rules of combat need to be consistent. The stakes are lower in a CRPG since you can just quick load, where your PC getting dunked in a TTRPG is likely going to feel awful (again, unless the system / playstyle leans into that).

Sounds to me like her complaining about her PC getting dunked and deciding "that wasn't fun" is her problem. Why can't that failure be fun? I think it's fucking hilarious. You could assemble the rest of the crew to go on a revenge mission, and you've got the "nice DM" bit where Withers can just revive you, or you can revive anyone yourself. Death ain't fuckin' permanent. It's not a big deal. Stop playing like you're going to die in real life, people!

13 hours ago, Bacon said:

I don't wanna race through it, but I am not a fan of long combat encounters in general. I would always skip or FF>> enemy turns if I could. And it's not that the turn isn't going my way, as in advantageous, it's that nothing is even happening. Like, I'm not here reloading after every time Lae'zel goes down, or Gale gets fuckin' sniped for the umpteenth time. Like, I know I said I reload a lot, but that was on Sroc, and I mentioned rerolling to Durge Barb to stop that.

So what are you actually reloading for that makes it go faster than just playing it out if not the rolls not going your way?

1 hour ago, legend said:

So what are you actually reloading for that makes it go faster than just playing it out if not the rolls not going your way?

I was going to give you an example but I don't have one. The last times I can remember reloading is when Halsin had the highest initiative roll so I could save the gob kids and when a spider killed a tief during the battle at the gate. I reloaded and put Lae'zel there so the spider would have to target her.

2 hours ago, Xbob42 said:

Sounds to me like her complaining about her PC getting dunked and deciding "that wasn't fun" is her problem. Why can't that failure be fun? I think it's fucking hilarious. You could assemble the rest of the crew to go on a revenge mission, and you've got the "nice DM" bit where Withers can just revive you, or you can revive anyone yourself. Death ain't fuckin' permanent. It's not a big deal. Stop playing like you're going to die in real life, people!

Disco Elysium is probably the best CRPG I've seen that makes failure fun. BG3 goes this pretty well outside combat though not to the same extent. Combat fails in BG3 don't feel meaningfully different to me than failure in combat in orbiter CRPGs. That's fine; not every game needs to do everything and BG3 is excellent as is.

55 minutes ago, Kal-El814 said:

Disco Elysium is probably the best CRPG I've seen that makes failure fun. BG3 goes this pretty well outside combat though not to the same extent. Combat fails in BG3 don't feel meaningfully different to me than failure in combat in orbiter CRPGs. That's fine; not every game needs to do everything and BG3 is excellent as is.

The only time I feel like this is if you get party wiped, because it forces a reload. I'd very much like the ability to switch to my camp party members to try to mount a rescue (let's say defeat in certain places leads to capture) or failing that, reviving and retrieving the stuff.

Wouldn't stop some Baconheads from just reloading everything, but I find this game so, so, SO much more fun when you just accept the hand you're dealt and say "fuck it, let's keep going." If every single roll goes in your favor, it makes combat super boring and turns every fight into tedious OCD nonsense that seems antithetical to fun. People keep talking about good or bad DMs, but reloading every save is like if you were playing D&D and one dude was like "no wait hold on I didn't actually want to do that go back go back" like... what? Just go man!

I've maxed my party level and am cleaning up the gate. I will probably beat the game next weekend, though its often hard to tell how close I am, so who knows. I've made many poor choices and I look forward to my second run (next year, after all of this year's big titles have been played) to do a "clean run" probably followed by a dark urge run on campaign number 3. :sun:

• Hype 2

5 hours ago, Spork3245 said:

BTW, @legend , since you were helping me earlier with my question about a noob build, I wanted to let you know that I decided to go Paladin with a Warlock multi class (because the combo, in theory, is kinda lulzy)

As an RP that is a pretty funny combo. But on the up side they're both Charisma-based casters which is a good synergy!

8 minutes ago, Firewithin said:

how do you mean?  you can shift click and then send everything highlighted to camp already

That still takes more than one action. With as much crap loot is in this game it would be nice just to have as few actions as possible when dealing with it.  Even a button you can toggle that just auto sends to camp all loot you click on.

I do, however, fully expect Larian to release an a whole bunch of improvements including expanded content 1 year later all released free because that's what they did for the Divinity games.

Although I do wonder (and hope) that they also do a large scale paid expansion with a new campaign (even if shorter) given how enormously popular the game is.

16 minutes ago, legend said:

Then it would be the most polished EA game of this scale to ever release. As it is, it's far more polished and a finished product than most game releases.

True, but maybe that should have waited a few months instead of launching it early. I mean, you can beat the game, but I guess it's up to the individual if reaching the credits is enough to consider the game complete.

Course, I'm not even outta act 1 yet, but I have seen the doom a gloom of people who have completed act 3.

11 minutes ago, Bacon said:

True, but maybe that should have waited a few months instead of launching it early. I mean, you can beat the game, but I guess it's up to the individual if reaching the credits is enough to consider the game complete.

Course, I'm not even outta act 1 yet, but I have seen the doom a gloom of people who have completed act 3.

I'm not really worried about it. I just finished act 2 and have loved every moment. The game got incredible scores across the board too. There will be people who are unhappy because there will always be people that are unhappy. This is already such an incredible achievement, particularly as someone who is a DnD player that I'm just not worried about it.

If I hate it though I'll eat crow. I loved ME3 up until star child which poisoned me on the series and I'm only now slowly recovering from it. So I suppose it could happen! But seems unlikely :p 

25 minutes ago, legend said:

If I hate it though I'll eat crow. I loved ME3 up until star child which poisoned me on the series and I'm only now slowly recovering from it. So I suppose it could happen! But seems unlikely :p 

oh no

It's reddit tho so who really knows lol.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Bacon said:

oh no

It's reddit tho so who really knows lol.

The first response is:

For as hard I think this ending misses the landing, it really puts into perspective just how bad ME3's was. Not even comparable at all.

I think I'll be okay :p