When Do You Think We'll Get Star Wars Episodes X, XI, and XII?

With Episode IX coming this year and ending the Sequel Trilogy, it has me wonder how long it will be until we get the next three Episodes, assuming we ever get them. Now I'm on a media blackout for IX (so please refrain from talking about it too much in this thread please), but one thing I do know is that Disney wants the Skywalker story to come to an end. Beforehand, and even before The Last Jedi it would have been reasonable to assume that X, XI, and XII would have focused on the next in the Skywalker bloodline, as that is what the main Episodes have always been about, as well as the main struggle against good and evil (i.e. the Republic vs. Separatists, Rebels vs. Empire, Resistance vs. First Order . Now, however, who knows, perhaps this really will be the end, and future Star Wars movies will be about side stories.

If there is a new set of mainline trilogies, I'd kind of still want it to be a generational thing, so show us the generation after Rey, Poe, Finn, Kylo Ren, and perhaps feature any of the children that survive IX. The Prequels were about Anakin, the Originals were about his kids, and the Sequels are about his grandson, so even if the Skywalker story is done, still have it be about the children of the Sequel stars. I don't want Disney to rush things out, so really I think a 15-20 year wait before Episode X sounds right. A long time, sure, but they can fill it with side stories until then, like the Rian Johnson trilogy, and Weiss and Benioff trilogy, and any other movies (I liked Solo, and would like a sequel, or even a movie about young Lando with Donald Glover back). Then when Episode X is announced it's been a long enough time that it feels really special to get a new trilogy, and see some old favourites come back, just like how we felt leading up to Episode VII.

What do you guys think?

On 5/7/2019 at 9:16 PM, Keyser_Soze said:

Probably 3 or 4 years after the next one that's coming out.

This is where I am at. I really don't see Disney sitting on the Star Wars brand for more than 4 years at the most. I think Solo and Last Jedi may have made Disney slow down but they aren't gonna sit on releasing a movie that long like 10 - 15 years. 

1 hour ago, Hurdyb1 said:

This is where I am at. I really don't see Disney sitting on the Star Wars brand for more than 4 years at the most. I think Solo and Last Jedi may have made Disney slow down but they aren't gonna sit on releasing a movie that long like 10 - 15 years. 

They have 3 Star Wars movies coming out in 2022, 2024 and 2026 so no they're not sitting on releasing Star Wars movies.

53 minutes ago, Hurdyb1 said:

Yeah, we can move on from the Skywalker bloodline.

I-IX is the Skywalker storyline so i don't believe we will get anymore numbered movies.

I think Disney has made it clear that 9 is the end of the Skywalker story.  There will be star wars stories coming out long after we all are dead, but I think we are done with Skywalker.  

My guess is that the next Skywalker movie would be maybe a generation from now someone will get the idea to remake them.  

2 minutes ago, 2user1cup said:

BOLD Prediction: Star Wars will never move past the Skywalkers

It's been confirmed that there are no skywalkers in the Mandalorian show... so that theory was debunked quick.

Also unless they screw with the story of how Vader came about in Ep 9 then any timeline that takes place prior to ep 1 would not have the skywalkers in it because Vader didn't have a previous bloodline.  

28 minutes ago, number305 said:

It's been confirmed that there are no skywalkers in the Mandalorian show... so that theory was debunked quick.

Also unless they screw with the story of how Vader came about in Ep 9 then any timeline that takes place prior to ep 1 would not have the skywalkers in it because Vader didn't have a previous bloodline.  

tenor.gif?itemid=7618321

• 2 weeks later...

I think it depends entirely on how the new films do. Star Wars has never been as big overseas (~50-55% overseas gross vs ~60-70% for the MCU). If the upcoming trilogies we know about fail, or start doing numbers closer to Solo than Rogue One, I can see them being cut short in favor of trying to make another "mainline" entry.

I'm not even sure what the timeline for that is though. I would think at least 10 years barring absolutely catastrophic failure.

The flip side is that I can see a new trilogy potentially quite well. Imagine if either new trilogy is able to increase its appeal overseas as that market continues to expand. A Star Wars film with an Endgame like 70% overseas % could be enough to convince Disney they never need to return to the original well.

No matter what, if they do try and make a new mainline trilogy, I hope it's not following the Skywalker bloodline.

4 hours ago, TwinIon said:

I think it depends entirely on how the new films do. Star Wars has never been as big overseas (~50-55% overseas gross vs ~60-70% for the MCU). If the upcoming trilogies we know about fail, or start doing numbers closer to Solo than Rogue One, I can see them being cut short in favor of trying to make another "mainline" entry.

I'm not even sure what the timeline for that is though. I would think at least 10 years barring absolutely catastrophic failure.

The flip side is that I can see a new trilogy potentially quite well. Imagine if either new trilogy is able to increase its appeal overseas as that market continues to expand. A Star Wars film with an Endgame like 70% overseas % could be enough to convince Disney they never need to return to the original well.

No matter what, if they do try and make a new mainline trilogy, I hope it's not following the Skywalker bloodline.

I don't think there is anything magic in the Skywalker name that will bring automatic ticket sales.  The original characters had a magic.  But if you don't have Vader, Luke, Han, or Leia than the Skywalker name isn't going to help much.  Starwars X featuring Bob Skywalker isn't going to sell any better or worse than just an altogether new story.

51 minutes ago, number305 said:

I don't think there is anything magic in the Skywalker name that will bring automatic ticket sales.  The original characters had a magic.  But if you don't have Vader, Luke, Han, or Leia than the Skywalker name isn't going to help much.  Starwars X featuring Bob Skywalker isn't going to sell any better or worse than just an altogether new story.

You're probably right, but my scenario was that Star Wars was failing. If in 15 years the movies aren't making a ton of money anymore, maybe a return to the original saga would be a way to boost interest.

Ep 9 trailer spoilers

Spoiler

Besides, if they're bringing the emperor back for this one, they brought back Tarkin for Rogue One, they could probably wrangle up some connections to the OT if they needed to.

• 5 weeks later...

If there is Episodes X-XII and I hope there will be and likely they will come out in the early 2030's perhaps 2034 at the latest with an older Rey,Finn and Poe and grown up broom boy leading a new order of force users called the Skywalkers battling the Yuuzhan Vong or any alien invasion from the Unknown Regions/The Beyond.

• Guillotine 1

There are two different questions being talked about here: When does the next Star Wars trilogy come out? and When do episodes 10-12 come out?

KK signed her 4 year extension with Disney earlier this year, and her current movie plans are only touching on the Rian Johnson trilogy and the GoT makers trilogy, both of which are assumed to be non-'Episode' movies. If she decides to turn any of those two clumps of movies into the 'Episode' format (if she hasn't already decided to make one or both of them 'Episode' movies and is just hiding it from the public), then maybe we can get Episode 10 as early as 2024 if/when someone else takes over the Star Wars department from KK, combined with Disney allowing said person to do so.

But there are still obstacles out there to deal with before solid decisions can be made made: How scared is Disney, still, since TLJ and Solo did bad press? Are they even still scared? How focused are they with their online network and creating new Star Wars content for it exclusively? Will KK leave her position in 4 years but still have an outline that the next person in charge will have to follow that may or may not include 'Episode' plans? Will Bob Iger be gone completely 2021, or will he have plans that the next person in charge needs to follow? Will Bob's replacement have any strong feelings about Star Wars movies when he/she comes aboard? Will the Disneyland Star Wars attraction hold water and give confidence to Disney to make more movies?

Disney has always been very fickle, and who knows if it'll see it's own shadow one season and decide to hide itself and Star Wars for a couple more years:Dunno: