Future harassee, Keri Russell, lands role in Star Wars Episode IX

1 hour ago, Wild said:

I don't understand the title, but the Americans has turned me into a big fan. She's got some real acting chops.

The online Star Wars community has notoriously gone after female stars in the new trilogy, going so far as to harass them until they leave social media completely. The title is alluding to this, and that Keri Russel will be the next to be harassed. Obviously this doesn't represent all Star Wars fans...but it's a pretty toxic and anti-woman community compared to many fanbases.

• Thanks 1

35 minutes ago, CitizenVectron said:

The online Star Wars community has notoriously gone after female stars in the new trilogy, going so far as to harass them until they leave social media completely. The title is alluding to this, and that Keri Russel will be the next to be harassed. Obviously this doesn't represent all Star Wars fans...but it's a pretty toxic and anti-woman community compared to many fanbases.

Ah, gotcha. I was thinking it had something to do with JJ. That makes sense.

18 hours ago, CitizenVectron said:

All forms of harassment are bad...

But I think it would be more accurate to say Star Wars fans have a history of going after bad characters.  The two that I know of that have been harassed are Jar Jar and Rose.  I haven't seen that Rey or Leia were abused on social media unless I missed that somewhere.  

Again in my opinion there is no good excuse to harass someone.  

10 minutes ago, number305 said:

All forms of harassment are bad...

But I think it would be more accurate to say Star Wars fans have a history of going after bad characters.  The two that I know of that have been harassed are Jar Jar and Rose.  I haven't seen that Rey or Leia were abused on social media unless I missed that somewhere.  

Again in my opinion there is no good excuse to harass someone.  

http://time.com/4438463/daisy-ridley-quits-instagram/

https://www.yahoo.com/lifestyle/kelly-marie-tran-daisy-ridley-highlight-social-medias-dangers-theyre-not-wrong-192741995.html

20 minutes ago, Remarkableriots said:

Having her use a double-bladed or dual lightsabers would be awesome.

I want Rey to do that. I want her to build a dual bladed saber out of the two halves of Luke's that she took after it was severed.

And if she doesn't I'm going to spout a bunch of sexist nonsense about how Episode IX sucks.

32 minutes ago, number305 said:

Good old name calling of others with different opinions.  Great thing to do in an anti harassment thread.  

There are many things one could critique TLJ for; the writing or performance of Rose is not one of them.

1 minute ago, Chris- said:

There are many things one could critique TLJ for; the writing or performance of Rose is not one of them.

Well see that there is an opinion.  I think she is a fine actress and her performance was fine.  I have big issues with her character.

She better not be Rey's mom. What is with people thinking that every brunette cast in the new Star Wars movies could be Rey's mother? Jyn Erso, Qi'ra, and now Russell's character all getting speculation that they'll turn out to be Rey's mother. JJ better keep Rey's parents as unimportant nobodies that are already dead. 

On 7/13/2018 at 3:21 PM, number305 said:

That link about Rey says she was harassed by the pro gun crowd - not the star wars crowd.  

The actress who played Rey was harassed by many at the time of her casting for being a woman and the main character of a Star Wars flick at the same time. My understanding is this is pretty well known and well-trod information. 

• Thanks 1