February PS+: For Honor, Hitman Season 1 (PS3 owners get MGS4)

SaysWho?

Man if the PS5 was BC to PS1, PS2, PS3 and PS4 that would confirm my day one purchase.

Games are ok. MGS4 is great for those with PS3s and haven't played it yet.

I have never played Hitman so I might give that a shot. I couldn't see cancelling my PS+ because I take advantage of the discounts and I have like 6 years of free games on my systems.

Love it when it's a month with games I haven't bought. I'll probably even play hitman, rather than just download it and toss it into a folder of games I delete when hard drive space is low 😂 

100GB is pretty big for just saves. They planning on letting us use that space for something more? 

9 hours ago, SaysWho? said:

Also an upgrade to cloud storage space:

"In early February, we will be expanding our cloud storage space from 10GB to 100GB for PS Plus members playing on PS4 – giving you even more space to keep all those game saves."

Not that I am complaining, but why on earth would anyone need 100GB of cloud storage for saves? 

Also, it is my understanding that this will be the last month for free PS3 and PS Vita games :( Have they announced what format they'll be switching to? Are they going to add in more PS4 titles, or just go down to 2 games per month?

20 hours ago, Spork3245 said:

Don't hold too tightly there :p 

By the time PS5 rolls around, those specs should be powerful enough to just brute force BC for any of their previous gens, save for PS4, which they wouldn't have to if it uses the same architecture.

Their PSNow shouldn't be a factor. In fact it would lessen the burden if it didn't need to stream the previous gen games, and was just able to download and play them.

2 hours ago, XxEvil AshxX said:

By the time PS5 rolls around, those specs should be powerful enough to just brute force BC for any of their previous gens, save for PS4, which they wouldn't have to if it uses the same architecture.

Their PSNow shouldn't be a factor. In fact it would lessen the burden if it didn't need to stream the previous gen games, and was just able to download and play them.

PS3 had a weird and not-so-easy to program for architecture. Emulating it is likely a nightmare, brute force or not. :/ 

20 minutes ago, Spork3245 said:

PS3 had a weird and not-so-easy to program for architecture. Emulating it is likely a nightmare, brute force or not. :/ 

MS says "hold my beer." Even though the Xbox 360's PowerPC architecture was easier to program for than the PS3, emulating it was apparently no walk in the park either. There's a reason both companies went with x86 this time around.

I'm no programmer or expert by any means, but I'm sure if Sony really wanted to roll up their sleeves, they could figure it out. The question is, do they want to?

Just now, XxEvil AshxX said:

MS says "hold my beer." Even though the Xbox 360's PowerPC architecture was easier to program for than the PS3, it was apparently no walk in the park either. There's a reason both companies went with x86 this time around.

I'm no programmer or expert by any means, but I'm sure if Sony really wanted to roll up their sleeves, they could figure it out. The question is, do they want to?

Pretty clearly they do not. It's been over a decade, and the bulk of two console life cycles since they found BC to be a worthwhile selling point.

I think they invested a lot into PSNow satisfying the demand for BC. I don't suspect we'll ever see BC back in a Sony console. At this point it's not about how difficult the PS3 is to emulate....it's about how much money they think they can get from things like PSNow and PS2 Classics. 

I don't say this to excuse Sony. Their handling of BC is probably the biggest problem I've had with them in the past 10 years, and I don't expect it to get better anytime soon. 

28 minutes ago, XxEvil AshxX said:

MS says "hold my beer." Even though the Xbox 360's PowerPC architecture was easier to program for than the PS3, emulating it was apparently no walk in the park either. There's a reason both companies went with x86 this time around.

The 360 used PC parts and Direct X, hence it can emulate on other PC parts and a newer DX version. It must be done per-game due to the way the coding is set for what basically amounted to proprietary DRM to prevent an easy emulation on PC (and is why OG Xbox + 360 + Xbone PC emulators are worthless)

Microsoft does deserve props for BC.  In my view, it is the best argument to purchase a Microsoft console ahead of a PC (upgrade).  There's still a good number of og Xbox and 360 games that never got ported anywhere, and its great to see them automatically enhanced.

That said, the most exciting thing happening right now in the retro space is AI texture up-scaling with ESRGAM/Waifu/etc.  There's going to be tons of up-rezed PC mods coming in the next few months.

maxresdefault.jpg

38 minutes ago, crispy4000 said:

Microsoft does deserve props for BC.  In my view, it is the best argument to purchase a Microsoft console ahead of a PC (upgrade).  There's still a good number of og Xbox and 360 games that never got ported anywhere, and its great to see them automatically enhanced.

I have been playing my 360 a lot lately and I have been impressed with just how extensive the BC list has become. Out of about 100 games there's only about 5 or 6 that I care about that aren't supported. 

As a PS4 owner who doesn't care for Halo or Forza I haven't missed owning a second console much this gen, but I think I might get a One just to replace my 360. Which is going on an impressive 10 years old at this point, but is showing some signs of death(sounds like a small plane taking off, and it's an open question whether the disc tray will open on a given day).

On 1/31/2019 at 10:29 AM, Biggie said:

For Honor is great. I downloaded it at full price and got my money’s worth. 

It's why I never complain when something like Bloodborne or Ratchet & Clank go on PS+. I own them and love them, so no complaints that I bought them full price at the time.