Pikachu

4 hours ago, eggydoo said:

I wished the story can be played all in VR, but from what I remember, it'll be separate.  I'm assuming similar to Gran Turismo.

Ugh, really? It's not 100% in VR like RE7? :/ 

EDIT: Is the VR PlayStation exclusive? I was hoping for it on my Vive :cry: 

VR for this game is only a small handful of independent missions external to the story, and is only Playstation exclusive. 

I don't give a shit about that, or multiplayer (which is only team deathmatch, or free for all. No co-op), so I'm in it for the story. This is one of my original nostalgic games from when I was a kid.

On 1/14/2019 at 12:29 PM, ThreePi said:

Looks pretty. Wish there was a demo. Never played an Ace Combat game so I really don't know if its my thing or not.

If it is like the previous games (and I cannot see why it wouldn't be) it is more on the arcade style of a flight/combat game. 

For example I do not think the franchise ever included the ability to pull so many Gs your pilot blacks out. You can pull those Gs. There just is not any realist8c consequences for it. 

They're fun. Even more so if you have flight sticks, which I had on the PS2 for AC4/5. 

Kind of disappointed the game doesn't even have HDR support. Not sure if they will add it in later. I am not too annoyed by a lack of 4k on console. Though having worse frame rate, even marginally on One X vs PS4 is pretty inexcusable.

I'm getting it anyways. Videos I've seen still look good. This game will be a nice change pace from standard shooters and 3rd person action games. 

I can't for the life of me remember if I've ever actually played an Ace Combat game. Dogfighting games, if I remember correctly, were much more popular during the PSX era, whether terrestrial or in space. I remember playing a few different ones and them being so mind-bendingly boring that I have never had an interest in the genre since. They always seemed so mechanically simple and visually uninteresting. Lots of shitty looking ground, regular machine gun fire, lock-on missiles, maybe some flares to get enemy missiles off, fancy maneuvers if it was a higher-end game...

Was Ace Combat any different? I'm willing to give the genre another try if there's actually something to it now. I'm specifically talking about the gameplay, I can just Youtube a weird/goofy story.

EDIT: Goddamn, typing this up is just bringing back bad memories of really unclear or vague mission objectives, there'll be like a tiny ass train on some random part of the map that you're supposed to protect that you don't know about until it explodes and you have to do the thousand waves of fodder enemies again and then pray you protect the shitty little thing now that you know about it. I'm gonna vomit just remembering these types of missions.

Apparently Namco can’t program for Xbox:

Digital Foundry: Ace Combat 7: a classic series evolves with stunning visuals But why does PS4 Pro outperform Xbox One X?

Overall though, if you can't play on PC, PS4 Pro is the best way to go - and how it manages to deliver marginally smoother performance than Xbox One X is a bit of a mystery. 

I played the first mission last night. It is definitely an Ace Combat game. I have not played one in a ling while, so it took me a few minutes to get back into the groove. 

The first mission was smooth. According to DF the frame drops doesn't start happening until much later in the game. Disappointing it happens at all on One X. And I am still bummed there is not even HDR support. 

10 minutes ago, Xbob42 said:

I wonder if the PS4 architecture just naturally got a big boost to performance it otherwise wouldn't have due to them having to make some VR missions for the platform.

That's what DF thinks. They too wondered if they put extra effort into making the frame rate locked at 60 for VR also meant the frame rate could be locked for the rest of the game too. 

1 hour ago, mikechorney said:

It could be that AC primarily sells in Japan?  So PS4 got all the love. 

I doubt it. Sales estimates for AC5 had it selling in north america more than japan and europe combined. AC 4 in NA outselling double what Europe and Japan sold combined.

But even if it is true (which again, I doubt) AC6 released in 2007 and 2011 Namco announced the franchise had sold 10 million units. For a single entry it doesn't seem like the difference would be that great to justify ignoring one platform because of regional preference, or spending a greater amount of time optimizing one over the other. 

I finished the game this weekend. I am in love. It's a return to form for the series, a wonderful addition, and probably the best Ace Combat game since Ace Combat 4. 

If any of you have any questions on it, @me. I'm available to answer anything that isn't VR or multiplayer. I plan on doing multiplayer, but I'm unlocking single player stuff first.