Jump to content

Puerto Rico pushes for statehood, calling it a civil rights issue


Recommended Posts

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/puerto-rico-pushes-for-statehood-calling-it-a-civil-rights-issue/ar-AAzg5Tx?ocid=st

 

Quote

Puerto Rico is making its biggest push for statehood in years, filing legislation in Congress that would make the island the 51st state by 2021.

 

Rep. Jenniffer González-Colón (R) filed a bill on Wednesday that would pave the way for the island to become a state no later than January 2021. The measure is co-sponsored by 21 Republicans and 14 Democrats and fulfills the promises of González-Colón and Puerto Rico Gov. Ricardo Rosselló, who campaigned on a statehood platform and said statehood is a civil rights issue for Puerto Ricans.

 

“No longer do we want ambiguity. No longer do we want this kicked down the road,” Rosselló said at a Capitol Hill news conference. “In Congress you’re either with us or you’re against the people of Puerto Rico.”

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, SFLUFAN said:

The status quo is simply untenable for Puerto Rico.

 

The fact of the matter is that the choice is between statehood and independence, and while the vast majority of Puerto Ricans favor statehood, they should be prepared to seriously consider the independence option if/when his falters.

 

I honestly think they'd end up in a worse situation then they are now if they went for independence.  Maybe not Haiti level bad, but at least Dominican Republic or Jamaica bad.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, mclumber1 said:

I honestly think they'd end up in a worse situation then they are now if they went for independence.  Maybe not Haiti level bad, but at least Dominican Republic or Jamaica bad.  

Yes, it would absolutely be "worse" but at the very least they wouldn't be treated like a colony and could enter into economic development agreements with other nations.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, SFLUFAN said:

Yes, it would absolutely be "worse" but at the very least they wouldn't be treated like a colony and could enter into economic development agreements with other nations.

 

 

Aren't they strangled by some import or export mark ups from the U.S. government that Trump was nice enough to wave for about two weeks after the hurricane?

 

I don't know how their economy as a whole is doing, but it seems like getting rid of that would help them a lot.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, Chairslinger said:

Aren't they strangled by some import or export mark ups from the U.S. government that Trump was nice enough to wave for about two weeks after the hurricane?

 

I don't know how their economy as a whole is doing, but it seems like getting rid of that would help them a lot.

Yes, the Jones Act does hurt Puerto Rico quite a bit.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Civil rights huh? Good way to make sure the GOP opposes it.

 

6 minutes ago, SFLUFAN said:

Yes, the Jones Act does hurt Puerto Rico quite a bit.

 

Also Alaska and Hawaii. Hawaii in particular, IIRC. Products coming from Asia have to sail all the way to the mainland and then back west instead of just making a port stop along the way.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, PaladinSolo said:

Whats next the state of Guam?!  Samoa!?

DC

 

They don't get screwed like Puerto Rico, but it's the second most populated potential state and statehood is very popular in the district. It's possible that there could be a legal challenge to DC statehood, but if Puerto Rico is successful I think they'd try to be right behind.

 

 

I really hope that Puerto Rico can become a state. I have no idea what the chances of it actually happening are.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, TwinIon said:

DC

 

They don't get screwed like Puerto Rico, but it's the second most populated potential state and statehood is very popular in the district. It's possible that there could be a legal challenge to DC statehood, but if Puerto Rico is successful I think they'd try to be right behind.

 

 

I really hope that Puerto Rico can become a state. I have no idea what the chances of it actually happening are.

 

The 23rd amendment guarantees the District 3 electoral votes.  What happens to the 23rd amendment if you make the district a state?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, PaladinSolo said:

If the thing it changes no longer exists, sure it would, lol.

 

Well, you can't just erase the three electoral votes  that the district receives.  Either you'll need another amendment to nullify the 23rd amendment, or you'll have 3 electors who are beholden to no state/district, and will vote how they so choose. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

21 minutes ago, mclumber1 said:

 

Well, you can't just erase the three electoral votes  that the district receives.  Either you'll need another amendment to nullify the 23rd amendment, or you'll have 3 electors who are beholden to no state/district, and will vote how they so choose. 

I really don't see this being that difficult, they're assigned to the district the district no longer exists so there's no one to assign the electors, so they will just disappear, also states must all be treated equally as far as I know. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 6/29/2018 at 9:10 PM, mclumber1 said:

The 23rd amendment guarantees the District 3 electoral votes.  What happens to the 23rd amendment if you make the district a state?

3 electoral votes is what it would get if it were a state, so maybe it could exist as a state without a constitutional amendment? Like I said, I think there is a valid legal challenge to DC statehood, I'm just not sure how it could possibly work.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Jason said:

I don't really see what's so hard to understand about what would happen to the 23rd upon DC statehood: it seems like it'd just exist without doing anything since the entity it covers no longer exists.

Wouldn't it just be kinda like how some laws are still on the books but no longer enforced?

https://whirlwindreports.com/2017/03/03/dumb-laws-that-are-no-longer-enforced-this-weeks-state-is-tennessee/

Quote

Are female motorists in Tennessee bad? Someone in Memphis didn’t have a lot of faith in them. No worries ladies. If you want to drive your car legally, you DON’T need a man to accompany you in it. It’s nothing like that. You just need a man to be either running or walking in front of the car waving a red flag to warn approaching motorists and pedestrians.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...