Neil deGrasse Tyson under investigation after accusations of sexual misconduct

16 hours ago, Spawn_of_Apathy said:

We know that, but that's not what the FBI report said. It said they could not corroborate Dr Ford's claims. 

Are you trolling us or being intentionally disingenuous? I can't tell. :p

I ask because it was pretty clear that the FBI's investigation in the matter was completely hampered. They were restricted in many ways during the investigation so I wouldn't trust their findings at all.

31 minutes ago, Greatoneshere said:

Are you trolling us or being intentionally disingenuous? I can't tell. :p

I ask because it was pretty clear that the FBI's investigation in the matter was completely hampered. They were restricted in many ways during the investigation so I wouldn't trust their findings at all.

Very disingenuous. Just like the investigation. 

As for my boy Black Science Man, i doubt he is 100% innocent. I am sure he has tried to use his status to try get women, and maybe pushed harder than he should have. Has he ever committed actual sexual assault, I do not know. But I am sure on more than one occasion he has committed what could easily be classified as sexual harassment. 

After listening to him quite a bit on Startalk, and seeing how he looked in his younger days (he was pretty studly), I do not doubt he crossed the line when it came to flirting and disregarded work boundaries in doing so.  But I hope, and don't think, he would have drugged and raped someone. That's an evil kind of power to have over someone, and one he doesn't really need, considering he is a smooth talker and was also quite handsome back in the day. 

2 hours ago, Kal-El814 said:

This really doesn’t have anything to do with whether or not someone is going to sexually harass someone at all.

What you quoted was in context of rape,  not harassment. So far there is only one person claiming he took away their choice by force - rape. The others are claiming he was creepy, inappropriately seductive, and a little touchy, but he wasn't forcing himself to the point of taking away their choice - these are harassment. Quite frankly the fact he was handsome,  was a star athlete, is highly social,  and has a high sex drive are factors making it more likely he crossed the line in regards to harassment. 

24 minutes ago, cusideabelincoln said:

What you quoted was in context of rape,  not harassment. So far there is only one person claiming he took away their choice by force - rape. The others are claiming he was creepy, inappropriately seductive, and a little touchy, but he wasn't forcing himself to the point of taking away their choice - these are harassment. Quite frankly the fact he was handsome,  was a star athlete, is highly social,  and has a high sex drive are factors making it more likely he crossed the line in regards to harassment. 

Go talk to like...any woman, and they tell you harrassers come in all forms. I don’t think there is a secret sauce recipe for being a terrible person that sexually harasses :p

Uh, I can't even tell you how many men have sexually harassed/assaulted me in my work as a nurse. Most of them ain't good looking or smooth talking. 

GTFO with that shit.

Just a couple weeks ago, I had a man in his 50s grabbing at my body and repeatedly telling me how he wanted to fuck me in the ass. For 12 hours. I literally had to have 3 security guys come up to help me give him a sedative to stop the madness and even then, he offered me up to them because I "like it in all three holes at once." 

And it wasn't funny. It was torture. Trying to care for a person and receiving that kind of treatment. It left me horribly shaken.

• Sad 6

16 minutes ago, CastlevaniaNut18 said:

Uh, I can't even tell you how many men have sexually harassed/assaulted me in my work as a nurse. Most of them ain't good looking or smooth talking. 

GTFO with that shit.

Just a couple weeks ago, I had a man in his 50s grabbing at my body and repeatedly telling me how he wanted to fuck me in the ass. For 12 hours. I literally had to have 3 security guys come up to help me give him a sedative to stop the madness and even then, he offered me up to them because I "like it in all three holes at once." 

And it wasn't funny. It was torture. Trying to care for a person and receiving that kind of treatment. It left me horribly shaken. 

Reminds me of this guest of the hotel. He gave all the girls flowers and when she went to the bathroom he says, "You see the flower I gave her?" as if to brag, "I'm a bachelor, i'm into dancin' and romancin'" - He was actually asking me if he could use facebook on the computers in the lobby and I told him probably but I had never tried.

Then when she came back from the bathroom he says, "This guy says I can't use facebook on the computers over there can I?" and she says he can without a doubt or something like that. Then the guy goes into this whole story of facebook and his high school nickname and how he had to change it, then says his password is "horny1man" :| so she kinda doesn't want to see him after this. The guy came back and she was hiding from him and I say she's busy and he says he can't get on facebook and he wants to send me a friend request so that he can log on and post (or something that didn't make sense) - I guess after I left he ramped it up and told her, Did you know in the bathroom it says for a good time call [her name]?" She was pretty upset.

6 hours ago, cusideabelincoln said:

After listening to him quite a bit on Startalk, and seeing how he looked in his younger days (he was pretty studly), I do not doubt he crossed the line when it came to flirting and disregarded work boundaries in doing so.  But I hope, and don't think, he would have drugged and raped someone. That's an evil kind of power to have over someone, and one he doesn't really need, considering he is a smooth talker and was also quite handsome back in the day. 

Cosby 

53 minutes ago, Keyser_Soze said:

Reminds me of this guest of the hotel. He gave all the girls flowers and when she went to the bathroom he says, "You see the flower I gave her?" as if to brag, "I'm a bachelor, i'm into dancin' and romancin'" - He was actually asking me if he could use facebook on the computers in the lobby and I told him probably but I had never tried.

Then when she came back from the bathroom he says, "This guy says I can't use facebook on the computers over there can I?" and she says he can without a doubt or something like that. Then the guy goes into this whole story of facebook and his high school nickname and how he had to change it, then says his password is "horny1man" :| so she kinda doesn't want to see him after this. The guy came back and she was hiding from him and I say she's busy and he says he can't get on facebook and he wants to send me a friend request so that he can log on and post (or something that didn't make sense) - I guess after I left he ramped it up and told her, Did you know in the bathroom it says for a good time call [her name]?" She was pretty upset.

Ugh.

I bet he was a model, too. Totally. 

Just now, Keyser_Soze said:

Ha. The first time I saw him I thought he might have been a homeless person but he claims to be an architect. :p

We once had a patient who was a meth addict and he kept going on and on about how high his IQ was and meth opened him up to knowledge that simpletons like us couldn't even dream of.

And yet, he was the one lying in a bed, shitting in a diaper, unable to wipe his own ass because of his meth use. Go figure. My coworker actually said those words to him.

2 minutes ago, CastlevaniaNut18 said:

We once had a patient who was a meth addict and he kept going on and on about how high his IQ was and meth opened him up to knowledge that simpletons like us couldn't even dream of.

And yet, he was the one lying in a bed, shitting in a diaper, unable to wipe his own ass because of his meth use. Go figure. My coworker actually said those words to him.

You treated Individual 1?

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, sblfilms said:

Go talk to like...any woman, and they tell you harrassers come in all forms. I don’t think there is a secret sauce recipe for being a terrible person that sexually harasses :p

And I'm not saying there is a secret sauce.  I never indicated that at all.  I'm talking about this specific situation with the four women giving forth the four stories we've heard so far about this one man.  

3 hours ago, Jason said:

Cosby 

Is a sociopath, and there isn't enough evidence to label NDT one yet.  But if you insist on this kind of argument... he was fugly even when he was younger.  And while attractiveness level does not 100% translate to a person's moral fiber (before you, castlevanianut, and Keyser jump all over me again - I was never saying that in the first place),  there is a loose correlation.  Alpha men can use their physical charm to persuade, heavily influence, and even coerce, because they have those tools available to them before they need to resort to other tools like stature, power (physical and metaphysical), drugs, etc.  "Ugly" ass pretenders do not have those physical tools at their disposal, so they are more likely to go beyond harassment, using those other tools (Harvey Weinstein).  I don't see what's so hard to get here.

Unless everyone is trying to say harassment and rape are the same thing, because that is exactly how you guys seem to be taking what I said.  You know what I'll agree here.  There is 100% chance he harassed women,  because harassment can be subjective, especially when the harassee is trying to hide their discomfort.  The harasser might think he has the right-a-way to continue his course of action if all he has to go on are sometimes vague physical cues, or worse yet a good actor giving positive cues.  The most recent story from the girl who was invited to cheese and wine is pretty clear harassment, though.  NDT had a physical urge that he translated into coercive and creepy behavior, and there's the line.  He didn't cross over to rape, or actively taking away her freedom with threats or physical domination.

Yet.  I guess we'll see if any more women speak up about being drugged or dominated.  The one situation we have is too unclear, and is he-said-she-said.

2 hours ago, CastlevaniaNut18 said:

Sounds like I see a lot of your meth addicts when they get out of the hospital. :p

1 hour ago, cusideabelincoln said:

Is a sociopath, and there isn't enough evidence to label NDT one yet.  But if you insist on this kind of argument... he was fugly even when he was younger.  And while attractiveness level does not 100% translate to a person's moral fiber (before you, castlevanianut, and Keyser jump all over me again - I was never saying that in the first place),  there is a loose correlation.  Alpha men can use their physical charm to persuade, heavily influence, and even coerce, because they have those tools available to them before they need to resort to other tools like stature, power (physical and metaphysical), drugs, etc.  "Ugly" ass pretenders do not have those physical tools at their disposal, so they are more likely to go beyond harassment, using those other tools (Harvey Weinstein).  I don't see what's so hard to get here.

Cosby was raping women even after he was famous.

1 minute ago, Jason said:

And he was a decent looking guy when he was younger... looks have nothing to do with this. Is the argument that attractive men don't NEED to rape because they can easily get sex? Sounds like someone has a fundamental misunderstanding of what drives rapists... it ain't the inability to get sex. It's a power thing.

14 hours ago, CastlevaniaNut18 said:

GTFO with that shit.

Was he high or just like that?

14 hours ago, Jason said:

Exactly,  he resulted to using other tools to exert power over people as I said. 

14 hours ago, skillzdadirecta said:

And he was a decent looking guy when he was younger... looks have nothing to do with this. Is the argument that attractive men don't NEED to rape because they can easily get sex? Sounds like someone has a fundamental misunderstanding of what drives rapists... it ain't the inability to get sex. It's a power thing.

I agree with the sentiment about power.  I did make a misstep in my argument. The real question is what drives these people to exert power over someone. I hastily did not think this part through because the answer to this is extremely variable with too many factors in play.  I was,  however,  never making the argument attractive men don't need to resort to rape. It is far more nuanced than that,  when looking at the entire spectrum of personalities. 

14 hours ago, sblfilms said:

Some really outdated thinking going on by @cusideabelincoln. Even a tinge of the incel :/

When you focus on the tree you miss the forest. You are off base here. 

And if you're implying the I have any incel  tendencies at all you can go fuck yourself. 

3 minutes ago, cusideabelincoln said:

And if you're implying the I have any incel  tendencies at all you can go fuck yourself. 

Don’t say incelly things and pass it off as nuance then.

:shrug:

1 hour ago, CastlevaniaNut18 said:

We've been over this many times.

It's a man who hates women because he believes he's entitled to sex and they're not giving it to him. Aka, an involuntary celibate. 

And they have...interesting ideas about the differences between some men and others. 

20 minutes ago, CastlevaniaNut18 said:

I probably should look that up. I'm guessing they view men who actually respect women poorly?

That, and among many other things, they believe it's their looks that are the reason they aren't getting laid by women, not their terrible personalities. They hyper focus on their looks to a body dysmorphic degree, believing the problem is they simply aren't good looking enough, believing women to be as shallow as a) men generally are, and b) as shallow as they specifically are, and while women care about looks, my experience is they care a lot more about the person than their looks specifically.

But incels being men, they can't understand that even a little bit. It's mostly sad (except when they get violent of course) and they clearly need help. 

P.S. Sorry for what you went through with your earlier example. </3