Neil deGrasse Tyson under investigation after accusations of sexual misconduct

2 minutes ago, sblfilms said:

:ohsnap:

Siiiiiiiick burn, bruh!

Well if you want to keep slandering my honest investigation, hypothesis, and workable modeling of the various types of personalities that do exist by saying I'm engaging incillible behaviour, go right on ahead and put on heyyou's crown of taking arguments out of context.  I'm willing to update my beliefs, but apparently you are stuck in your biases.  I don't hate women.  I don't hate men who respect women.  I don't hate men.  And I don't hate women who respect men.  I'm far more interested in the spectrum, and if someone was able to look at the entirety of it and examine the variables that make up certain models of individuals, there will undoubtedly be a pattern.   In terms of this deGrasse Tyson case, I think it remains to be seen if he's approaches Cosby level awfulness.

On 12/8/2018 at 6:06 PM, cusideabelincoln said:

Well if you want to keep slandering my honest investigation, hypothesis, and workable modeling of the various types of personalities that do exist by saying I'm engaging incillible behaviour, go right on ahead and put on heyyou's crown of taking arguments out of context.  I'm willing to update my beliefs, but apparently you are stuck in your biases.  I don't hate women.  I don't hate men who respect women.  I don't hate men.  And I don't hate women who respect men.  I'm far more interested in the spectrum, and if someone was able to look at the entirety of it and examine the variables that make up certain models of individuals, there will undoubtedly be a pattern.   In terms of this deGrasse Tyson case, I think it remains to be seen if he's approaches Cosby level awfulness.

What is that pattern exactly? If you have the answer then you've discovered something that psychologists, criminolgists and sociologists have been trying to figure out for decades. How much of their behavior is societal? Psychological? Biological? I don't know if there IS a pattern other than people being shitty.

23 hours ago, skillzdadirecta said:

What is that pattern exactly? If you have the answer then you've discovered something that psychologists, criminolgists and sociologists hav been trying to figure out for decades. How much if their behavior is societal? Psychological? Biological? I don't know if there IS a pattern other than people being shitty.

I don't know.  I phrased it too poorly; I wasn't saying attractiveness played the most significant role in determining how people act - which is exactly how everyone else took it and began to be dicks about it.  I think it might play a small - possibly even very small - part.  I now admit it could be insignificant altogether.  People do shitty things, and the problem is there are tons of justifications those people can come up with in their minds to do those shitty things.  There definitely isn't one reason, or a few reasons; there's a host of them, and they vary depending on the context a person inhabits. While I earlier said highly attractive people have one less reason to exert power over someone, another person could use the tool of activeness as justification to exert power over someone because he can get away with it - or whatever other justification.  So, yeah, I've changed my mind and will agree with you completely, because there are too many variables to say otherwise.

On 12/8/2018 at 9:11 PM, 2user1cup said:

I hate women AND men. Mostly though, I hate you.

That's fine by me.  I think you're a douche anyway.

• Haha 1

49 minutes ago, cusideabelincoln said:

While I earlier said highly attractive people have one less reason to exert power over someone, another person could use the tool of activeness as justification to exert power over someone because he can get away with it - or whatever other justification.

Yeah because a lot of serial killers are actually very charismatic and some are actually attractive physically.  Ted Bundy was probably the best example of this... he had no problem attracting women. Didn't stop him from killing and raping them... sometimes in that exact order.

53 minutes ago, cusideabelincoln said:

I don't know.  I phrased it too poorly; I wasn't saying attractiveness played the most significant role in determining how people act - which is exactly how everyone else took it and began to be dicks about it.  I think it might play a small - possibly even very small - part.  I now admit it could be insignificant altogether.  People do shitty things, and the problem is there are tons of justifications those people can come up with in their minds to do those shitty things.  There definitely isn't one reason, or a few reasons; there's a host of them, and they vary depending on the context a person inhabits. While I earlier said highly attractive people have one less reason to exert power over someone, another person could use the tool of activeness as justification to exert power over someone because he can get away with it - or whatever other justification.  So, yeah, I've changed my mind and will agree with you completely, because there are too many variables to say otherwise.

This is a very commendable post and should be praised.  

Or we can always continue with the uncharitable interpretations of others and try for the “I got you”.  

• Like 1

9 hours ago, skillzdadirecta said:

Yeah because a lot of serial killers are actually very charismatic and some are actually attractive physically.  Ted Bundy was probably the best example of this... he had no problem attracting women. Didn't stop him from killing and raping them... sometimes in that exact order.

Exactly there are always counter examples, and exceptions. The frequency of those exceptions compared to the other manifestations is what we need to look at in order to determine what is a trend,  a pattern,  or a norm,   and this is where the scope becomes too big and variable for my initial claim to be true. 

1 hour ago, cusideabelincoln said:

Exactly there are always counter examples, and exceptions. The frequency of those exceptions compared to the other manifestations is what we need to look at in order to determine what is a trend,  a pattern,  or a norm,   and this is where the scope becomes too big and variable for my initial claim to be true. 

I think the frequency of "attractive" sexual predators vs "unattractive" ones is so prevalent that most criminologists probably don't take it into account.  Sure for an specific individual,  that may be a factor. But for the most? I don't think it factors as much as you do... or did. A lot of rapists and sexual predators are "normal, every day  citizens". Whayever the common thread between them is, it's more than likely biological or environmental.

Basically, sexual harassment/assault is done by people that do not respect people’s boundaries / feel entitled to do what they want to other people (or even get off on pushing past someone’s boundaries). The suggestion that NDT’s attractiveness would have any bearing on this comes off very incel-ish because no matter how attractive you think NDT is, it’s plainly true that most women aren’t going to enjoy him awkwardly lifting at their shoulder straps or whatever else he is accused of doing. 

• 7 months later...
On 12/7/2018 at 12:59 PM, cusideabelincoln said:

After listening to him quite a bit on Startalk, and seeing how he looked in his younger days (he was pretty studly), I do not doubt he crossed the line when it came to flirting and disregarded work boundaries in doing so.  But I hope, and don't think, he would have drugged and raped someone. That's an evil kind of power to have over someone, and one he doesn't really need, considering he is a smooth talker and was also quite handsome back in the day. 

Oh man, how did I ever pass over this fucking gem of a post.

Ok, so this i s ridiculous. This girl says he held her hands and looked into her eyes, and then she goes on to say this, as if holding her hand and looking into her eyey is in any way, shape, or form, a case of rape. I imagine if he raped ANY woman, he wouldn't be on TV anymore. 

Then there was the fact that she "Spent so much time speaking to reporters that she didn't want to be questioned by investigators? That whole story sounds fishy. It LITERALLY sounds like she's only worried about a settlement. 

Ms. Amet was outraged by the museum’s decision.

“If Neil deGrasse Tyson had raped a white woman, he would not be on TV anymore, and this woman would have received a settlement,” Ms. Amet, who is black, said in a statement.

Ms. Watson said she had declined to speak with the museum’s investigators, as she was worn out from telling her story to other investigators and to news outlets. She said she just wanted to move on.