~Rate The Last Movie/TV Show You Watched Thread~

1 hour ago, Mercury33 said:

Oct 3: A Quiet Place II - 7.5

Really a very good sequel that moves the story in a perfectly logical direction. But I think the suspense isn’t on the level of the original. Certainly nothing comes close to the bathtub scene. And the emotion isn’t even in the ballpark. The shock of the loss bracketing the beginning and end of the original is what truly elevates it. This is a really fun good time but it’s not special like the first. 

I gave it the exact same score, I'm right there with you. It was technically very well made (like the first). Krasinski has really grown as a director.

Watched Peter Pan with one of my sons. When I was a kid I loved that movie. I remembered it had racist shit in it but you don't realize just *how* racist it is until you're an adult. Also the movie just in general sucks. Peter Pan is a little shit. Seriously WTF. Even for the 1950s the misogyny and white boy narcissism in him is really fucking bad.

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, GeneticBlueprint said:

Watched Peter Pan with one of my sons. When I was a kid I loved that movie. I remembered it had racist shit in it but you don't realize just *how* racist it is until you're an adult. Also the movie just in general sucks. Peter Pan is a little shit. Seriously WTF. Even for the 1950s the misogyny and white boy narcissism in him is really fucking bad.

Yep, it’s rough. Hook is the only Peter Pan story I acknowledge. 

RUFIIII-OOOOOOOOOO

• Like 2

Trying to do 31 Horror/Halloween movies in 31 days. 

Oct 1: The Wolf of Snow Hollow 7.5/10

Oct 2: X - 9/10
Oct 3: Quiet Place 2 - 7.5/10

Oct 4: Dale and Tucker vs Evil - 5/10

I dunno, I was excited to watch this because id heard such great things. It just didn’t click for me. I fell asleep for a few chunks around the middle so maybe that didn’t help. I just found it more annoying than charming or funny. 

3 hours ago, Mercury33 said:

I dunno, I was excited to watch this because id heard such great things. It just didn’t click for me. I fell asleep for a few chunks around the middle so maybe that didn’t help. I just found it more annoying than charming or funny. 

Just a heads up, your post, for me at least, came up as gray text, so it's hidden. I had to highlight your post to read it. 

• Thanks 1

Oct 5: Malignant - 9.9/10

Yoooo wtf was that? 😂😂😂 This shit was incredible. I went in totally blind other than remembering some people said it was funny in spots. I had no idea that’s how that was gonna go. I wish I had scene this in a crowded theater. The whole scene in the police station 😂😂 the chair from across the room. I couldn’t breath I was laughing so hard. BRA-FUCKING-VO

Oct 6: Hubie Halloween - 8/10

IDGAF, I love this movie and I’ll fight anyone who says otherwise 

• Halal 1

Trying to do 31 Horror/Halloween movies in 31 days. 

Oct 6: Hubie Halloween - 8/10

Oct 7: Werewolf By Night - 9.5/10

Fucking fantastic. Please give me more of this Marvel. Absolutely nails the look and feel of the old universal monsters while still very much having that Marvel quality. Only an hour long which is literally my only complaint. It doesn’t feel too short, I just didn’t want it to end haha

• Halal 1

Hellraiser Reboot

I absolutely love Hellraiser 1 and 2 , 3 even .For fucks sake I have Hellraiser statues,prints and action figures so calling me a fan is an understatement. This one is one of the worst horror films I have seen in awhile. At least 90% of the dialog is the main characters screaming at one another and thats not an over exaggeration. It feels like an attempt to make the audience feel on edge but instead its eye rolling . The filmmakers could have done some interesting parallels with pleasure of drugs vs the pain of addiction but instead we get the old "cant believe them ,cause they on drugs routine". The characters themselves are douchey and lifeless , at one point the main character wrestles with a terminal senior citizen who gets stabbed and then just nopes the fuck out. One characters defining trait is " i am the roommate".  The dimension hopping reality warping demons on occasion can be bested by characters doing their best solid snake impression cause fuck it why not. This film also makes the same poor choice as some of the sequels by delving into the how and the why of the box and the cenobites. This is one of the stories that benefits from less is more route. 

The new priestess is great, the voice she uses is exactly how it sounded in my mind when reading the original novella. Its very raspy and and ethereal sounding. Her look is more like that of the novella as well, she has an androgynous look that I like a lot. Overall all the cenobites have a different look, gone is the black leather and S/M fetish gear and replaced with a body modifications suits. The practical effects are a testament to the craft, the gore has a that wet look that CGI can not match.

3/10 

6 hours ago, SimpleG said:

Hellraiser Reboot

I absolutely love Hellraiser 1 and 2 , 3 even .For fucks sake I have Hellraiser statues,prints and action figures so calling me a fan is an understatement. This one is one of the worst horror films I have seen in awhile. At least 90% of the dialog is the main characters screaming at one another and thats not an over exaggeration. It feels like an attempt to make the audience feel on edge but instead its eye rolling . The filmmakers could have done some interesting parallels with pleasure of drugs vs the pain of addiction but instead we get the old "cant believe them ,cause they on drugs routine". The characters themselves are douchey and lifeless , at one point the main character wrestles with a terminal senior citizen who gets stabbed and then just nopes the fuck out. One characters defining trait is " i am the roommate".  The dimension hopping reality warping demons on occasion can be bested by characters doing their best solid snake impression cause fuck it why not. This film also makes the same poor choice as some of the sequels by delving into the how and the why of the box and the cenobites. This is one of the stories that benefits from less is more route. 

The new priestess is great, the voice she uses is exactly how it sounded in my mind when reading the original novella. Its very raspy and and ethereal sounding. Her look is more like that of the novella as well, she has an androgynous look that I like a lot. Overall all the cenobites have a different look, gone is the black leather and S/M fetish gear and replaced with a body modifications suits. The practical effects are a testament to the craft, the gore has a that wet look that CGI can not match.

3/10 

Wait. Is this the new one being hyped?

8 minutes ago, best3444 said:

Wait. Is this the new one being hyped?

Yeah. I'm going to see the original Hellraiser 1+2 with the wife, then the new one (even though the new one is a reboot and not a sequel like Halloween or Candyman). I dunno about it being "hyped" but it has a 6.4/10 on IMDb after 4,500 votes (good but not great) and a 68% (6.3/10) all critics score after 92 reviews on RT and a 64% (3.5/5) audience score after 250+ votes on RT. So it's fresh, which is pretty good for a horror movie on RT, where critics and audiences are frequently split. Silentbob's reaction seems particularly harsh. As a Hellraiser fan, I think you have to go into the new one (by The Night House creative crew) not expecting Clive Barker's interests in the extreme pains and pleasures of BDSM fetishism and psychosexual explorations. This new movie is still Hellraiser but does new metaphors and spells things out more clearly rather than the Dark Souls "less is more" approach of the original. If people can come to terms with the fact that Hellraiser has been changed and "updated", I think it could still be a very good movie. I'll come back and report once I've seen it.

• Thanks 1

i’ve never been a big hellraiser fan but this being by the night house people has me interested. 

some movies i have watched recently 

Speak No Evil 3.5/5

The Greatest Beer Run Ever 3/5

Pulse 4/5 

Viy 3/5

Werewolf by Night 4/5 neat

Trying to do 31 Horror/Halloween movies in 31 days. 

Oct 5: Malignant - 9.9/10

Oct 6: Hubie Halloween - 8/10

Oct 7: Werewolf By Night - 9.5/10

Oct 8: Scream 5 - 6.5/10

It was good. That’s it though. Not great. Just good. But I dunno, i’m a little older and don’t have the same reverence for the original and it’s sequels. I thought the new characters were generally boring and unlikable. Like I kinda wanted all of them to die. Jack Quaid was great, that’s it. And why was Billy a good guy guardian angel type in this? The more I type the less I like it. These movies annoying me. 😂 I’m gonna stop typing.  

6 minutes ago, SimpleG said:

Fast Show Nice GIFs - Get the best GIF on GIPHY

That is an interesting choice, not many have seen much less heard of this one.

i just saw it on shudder and it said soviet era horror movie i was like ok this has my attention. i didn’t think it was basically gonna be a comedy lol but it was kinda cool. 

1 minute ago, johnny said:

i just saw it on shudder and it said soviet era horror movie i was like ok this has my attention. i didn’t think it was basically gonna be a comedy lol but it was kinda cool. 

I keep forgetting Shudder has been streaming folk horror classics, its a weird one.

I did a vampire double header but I wasnt interested in doing the super sexual sophisticated vampire type film.

Near Dark 8/10

Dark and bleak western horror. No giant castles or wealthy socialites to be seen. Its middle America wasteland where the vampires are homeless vagabonds and everyone else is cattle waiting to be served.

Nosferatu

10/10

The OG of vampire films. Count Orlok is an absolute walking nightmare of a creature that brings disease with him . The mix of German expressionism and camera tricks make him sympathetic and horrible, disgusting and yet some how you cant take your eyes off of him. Its not just one of the best horror films of all time, it maybe in the top 5 greatest films ever for me. 

20 minutes ago, SimpleG said:

Near Dark 8/10

Dark and bleak western horror. No giant castles or wealthy socialites to be seen. Its middle America wasteland where the vampires are homeless vagabonds and everyone else is cattle waiting to be served.

Fun fact: the reason Near Dark is so good is it's directed by Kathryn Bigelow, who went on to direct films like Point Break, Strange Days, K-19: The Widowmaker, The Hurt Locker, Zero Dark Thirty, and Detroit. Fantastic director - Near Dark was her second directorial feature film. Her ex-husband is James Cameron (they were married from 1989-1991), who wrote the story and co-wrote the screenplay to Bigelow's Strange Days, an excellent sci-fi film starring Ralph Fiennes (underrated, more people should watch it).