Nintendo's Reggie Fils-Aime dashes hopes of an N64 Classic anytime soon

Jason

I see the SNES classic in stores. I keep looking at it as it's a very tempting device. But deep down inside I know I'll never play it. So I just can't seem to pull the trigger on it :cry: 

But if an N64 classic comes out I'd get it in an instant. Mostly because that is the console I grew up with in my teens. But it would be a shame if they don't get Goldeneye on it.

Just now, The def star said:

I see the SNES classic in stores. I keep looking at it as it's a very tempting device. But deep down inside I know I'll never play it. So I just can't seem to pull the trigger on it :cry: 

But if an N64 classic comes out I'd get it in an instant. Mostly because that is the console I grew up with in my teens. But it would be a shame if they don't get Goldeneye on it.

It wouldn't get the games I want so I probably wouldn't buy it. WCW VS NWO Revenge and World Tour would be my top picks!

4 minutes ago, The def star said:

Something seems horribly wrong that you'd ignore the masterpiece that was SNES and play the shit out of the garbage N64. 

Just now, Remarkableriots said:

It wouldn't get the games I want so I probably wouldn't buy it. WCW VS NWO Revenge and World Tour would be my top picks!

I mean Nintendo has the library on that system alone to make it great but yeah it wouldn't be the same with out third party games like the THQ games and Acclaim games. I totally forgot about WCW vs NWO. WWF Attitude is another game that I would love on it. Not as good as WCW vs NWO but it holds a place in my heart.

8 minutes ago, CastlevaniaNut18 said:

Something seems horribly wrong that you'd ignore the masterpiece that was SNES and play the shit out of the garbage N64. 

I was a Sega kid. It did what Nintendont! :p I jump to Nintendo from Sega when the Saturn came out. N64 wasn't garbage at all it has some of the most classic games of all time. Super Mario 64, Legend of Zelda OoT, Majoras Mask, Wave Race 64, Banjo Kazooie, 1080 Snowboarding, Goldeneye, Mario Kart 64, F-Zero X, Extreme G, Paper Mario, Star Fox 64 and as mentioned earlier the best wrestling games ever released. It definitely holds it's own. Heck I'd take half the games I mentioned over what Sony is doing with the PS1 classic.

Just now, The def star said:

I was a Sega kid. It did what Nintendont! :p I jump to Nintendo from Sega when the Saturn came out. N64 wasn't garbage at all it has some of the most classic games of all time. Super Mario 64, Legend of Zelda OoT, Majoras Mask, Wave Race 64, Banjo Kazooie, 1080 Snowboarding, Mario Kart 64, F-Zero X, Extreme G, Paper Mario, Star Fox 64 and as mentioned earlier the best wrestling games ever released. It definitely holds it's own.

It's easily my least favorite Nintendo console ever, aside from Virtual Boy, which hardly counts. 

Sure, it had some classics, like Mario 64, Star Fox, and Zelda, but they've gotten superior ports/remakes on newer systems. Mario Kart 64 was the bomb back then, but much better sequels have been released. I definitely don't give a shit about wrestling games. Banjo wasn't bad, but I don't think i'd ever care to play it again.

The graphics are just ugly as fuck these days and I speak as someone who has a fancy RGB modded N64 on an upscaler. It looks as good as it possibly can and it's still ugly. Early 3D just hasn't aged well, not only in looks, but controls and camera. And I hated the controller. 

It wasn't bad for its time, but it's aged horribly and a lot of the best games are still around, only done better. 

SNES, on the other hand, is timeless. Some of the greatest games of all time are housed on  that system and they still look and play great. I'm a Genesis fan, btw, too. 16-bit graphics have aged much better than early 3D.

5 minutes ago, CastlevaniaNut18 said:

It's easily my least favorite Nintendo console ever, aside from Virtual Boy, which hardly counts. 

Sure, it had some classics, like Mario 64, Star Fox, and Zelda, but they've gotten superior ports/remakes on newer systems. Mario Kart 64 was the bomb back then, but much better sequels have been released. I definitely don't give a shit about wrestling games. Banjo wasn't bad, but I don't think i'd ever care to play it again.

The graphics are just ugly as fuck these days and I speak as someone who has a fancy RGB modded N64 on an upscaler. It looks as good as it possibly can and it's still ugly. Early 3D just hasn't aged well, not only in looks, but controls and camera. And I hated the controller. 

It wasn't bad for its time, but it's aged horribly and a lot of the best games are still around, only done better. 

SNES, on the other hand, is timeless. Some of the greatest games of all time are housed on  that system and they still look and play great. I'm a Genesis fan, btw, too. 16-bit graphics have aged much better than early 3D.

I respect what the SNES is. It's not that I don't want one because it has bad games. It's that I don't want one cuz I know it won't get played :( Too many current games to play to let the thing collect dust. The biggest reason why I would buy the N64 even if I don't play it it's because that's where my nostalgia lies. So many memories I tie to my youth depending what game I was playing. I can't tell you off the top of my head how old I was when I went to my first school dance but I can tell you what game I was playing :p 

3 minutes ago, The def star said:

I respect what the SNES is. It's not that I don't want one because it has bad games. It's that I don't want one cuz I know it won't get played :( Too many current games to play to let the thing collect dust. The biggest reason why I would buy the N64 even if I don't play it it's because that's where my nostalgia lies. So many memories I tie to my youth depending what game I was playing. I can't tell you off the top of my head how old I was when I went to my first middle school dance but I can tell you what game I was playing :p 

You should really play some SNES classics. Ignore some of the AAA formulaic crap being churned out and hop on the classic train!

P.S. I give you credit for playing Hollow Knight, at least.

2 minutes ago, CastlevaniaNut18 said:

I am gonna back up Def star on this. A brief summary of my gaming life. I started with the NES which my godfather bought me. I got a PC during the 1st grade which I loved but it died and it was never fixed. For the SNES and Genesis generation I was mainly into renting games at Blockbuster and the like. I had both Genesis and SNES but I wasn't really into them. I think it was mainly because of renting games as opposed to owning games. I got a PS1 and it was cool but I am a Nintendo fanboy. My dad got me a N64 and it was amazing my first game was Shadows of the Empire followed by Mario 64. Eventually I finally got back into PC gaming there after and am mainly a Nintendo/PC gamer.

I love the N64 and prefer it to the SNES to the point where I can't comprehend why anyone would prefer it (kidding) The graphics were better, it provided new gameplay experiences and most importantly of all it had 4 player multiplayer. My friends would come over every friday after we got out of school and we would drink soda, eat pizza, and play N64. The PS1 kinda picked up the reputation of the N64 but I always prefered the N64 to it. Better graphics and multiplayer. We would play Mario Tennis, Mario Kart, WCW/NWO Revenge, WWF Attitude/Wrestlemania 2k/No Mercy, Winback, Turok, Quake, Goldeneye, Perfect Dark, and Smash Brothers. While yes it is true there are better Mario Tennis/Kart/Party the time period of the N64 is something that I haven't been able to replicate. This isn't nostalgia it's just that after elementary school some of my friends went to different schools, grew apart with others, etc so post N64 being able to play 4 player MP is rare. It's why while I love the gamecube and can objectively say it's a great system I don't feel it as much as the N64. Aside from my issues with my friends I got into PC gaming so a system that could have made me feel the N64 wasn't that good (gamecube) couldn't because I didn't really have the chance to play MP as much. 

Now in fairness I do like the SNES and I would buy a SNES classic. I have a NES classic but i have never used it. Which is why I wouldnt get an SNES now. The N64 classic would be an instabuy based on what I just typed but I would be hesitant about it. Alot of the games that I loved the 64 for are games that most likely it wouldn't have. It be hard to imagine any of the wrestling games on it or Winback. Let alone games from Acclaim or Midway. I am not sure if I am allowed to discuss emulation but the N64 is a pain to emulate so that would be another plus to a 64 classic. 

But would it have NFL Blitz, atleast No Mercy, Battletanks 1/2, Winback, hell Goldeneye or Perfect Dark? Probably not. Crap now I want to play Winback or No Mercy. 

Oh, I'm a Nintendo fanatic, probably one of the bigger ones on this forum. You go to our game room and you're mostly going to see Nintendo stuff on display. I've gotten plenty of shit from other people here over the years for my Nintendo love. I just don't have much love for the N64, despite the fact that I own 5 of them(my boxed black unit from childhood on display, a black RGB modded-unit in use, plus gold, green and orange units on display). I mostly played PS1 back then, my brother had the N64 in his room, though we only had 2 games for it. I have some fond memories of Mario Kart 64 at a friend's house, but that's about it. It just hasn't aged well. A lot of PS1 games haven't aged well, for the record, but there's a sizable number of 2D sprite games on that system, where the 64 is just ugly 3D that looks like garbage today.

I never even had a SNES as a kid, so it's not about nostalgia for me. 

21 minutes ago, Keyser_Soze said:

I'm like @The def star I never owned an SNES or N64 and would walk down to Toys R Us every weekend to play N64 there. Remember they had them hooked up to these TVs which were the most amazing thing ever!

e463ad5e-9247-47ea-bea2-079e4c78d2b8.jpg

Wow you had a fancy Toys R Us. Ours had a bunch of tvs sitting on picnic tables with plastic tablecloths. Be careful not to trip over the 9 surge protectors they had daisy-chained under the rug.

Ah, I kinda miss the 90's.

• Haha 1

I loved the N64 and SNES almost equally.  The SNES unquestionably had better games, but the N64 had some truly watershed moments in 3d gaming (Mario 64, OoT), plus 4 controller ports built into the system.  Not to mention an analog thumbstick.

Retrospectively it is one of the worst systems to revisit, but there's some true classics on there that have stood the test of time regardless of context.

But it's also much better enjoyed emulated.  That's true for the PS1 as well.  The best 3d games from the era hold up fine in that context, IMO.

9 hours ago, Keyser_Soze said:

I agree with this as well and would have mentioned it but didn’t want to bring it up since there are some retro purists ITT

It's the generation where it makes the least sense to be.  Especially with PS1, there's no excuse.  All it takes is a CD drive and you're in business.  Even the PS2 did some things to smooth it out.

On original PS1 hardware, 3d textures typically looked like a pixelated, jittery, warped perspective mess.  Lines in textures couldn't even render straight.  I was definitely on the side of the N64 smear back in the day.  The DS disappointed me for sticking a bit closer to the PS1's style.  A game like Diddy Kong Racing DS perfectly illustrates why some mild texture filtering would have been preferable.

12 minutes ago, crispy4000 said:

On original PS1 hardware, 3d textures typically looked like a pixelated, jittery, warped perspective mess.  Lines in textures couldn't even render straight.  I was definitely on the side of the N64 smear back in the day.

Not to mention the ps1 also had that polygon wobble.  Wish the PS1 classic included methods emulators have developed to combat the problem.

Here’s hoping the eventual n64 classic takes more liberties with the emulation.  N64 games can actually hold up relatively well with a resolution bump, AA, and some texture filtering.