PayPal Stole More Than $90k From Belle Delphine As A Fine For Selling Bathwater

WWW.NBCNEWS.COM

In 2019, Belle Delphine made headlines and propelled her online career by selling her used bathwater, but now she says the stunt lost money.

One of the internet’s most popular adult content creators says PayPal fined her more than $90,000 after she went viral for selling a nontraditional personal item: water she had bathed in.

“Not only did I not earn any money selling my bathwater, I in fact LOST money doing it,” she continued. “PayPal without any warning closed my PayPal account and took the $90,000 that I earned from selling my bathwater. There was nothing I could do, I tried phoning them up and they just said ‘sorry, nothing we can do!’”

Delphine included a screenshot that showed a transaction in which PayPal took over $90,000 from her account in May 2021, two years after she sold the used bathwater. She later posted that the screenshot showed the company withdrawing money from her account.

PayPal’s conduct toward adult performers has been scrutinized by civil rights groups, influencers and sex workers for more than a decade. In June 2021, the American Civil Liberties Union released a statement saying it joined 22 other civil rights groups to demand that PayPal and other payment processors stop what the ACLU referred to as their continued practice to “boot sex workers and other users off their platforms with little due process.”

Turns out PayPal's crusade on a adult content has been going on for a while.

8 minutes ago, Keyser_Soze said:

Turns out PayPal's crusade on a adult content has been going on for a while.

Never been able to buy onaholes with Paypal.

• Sad 1

4 minutes ago, Spork3245 said:

... does your used bathwater sell for more? Like how older alcohol sells for more?

I know what you mean, but I've chosen to interpret your question as: How much does Vic's wash sell for? Answer: There is none to be sold because my new puppy "Gus" keeps barging into my bathroom during bath time and drinking it all! :daydream:

Edit: Baths are gross, I only shower. 

• Halal 1

1 minute ago, Spork3245 said:

Counterpoint: 5090 comes out soon and you'll want multiple so you can start gaming in 8k.

I'm gong to tell you a sad, sad thing. This will be the first year I won't be upgrading anything. All of my discretionary funds are being saved at this point as the wife and I have settled on ending our stay in NY. We plan to move to Maine after my daughter graduates her masters program in the summer of 26. Limited fun times for Vic for the next 25 months! :sadsun: 

• Hugs 1

Just now, Mr.Vic20 said:

I'm gong to tell you a sad, sad thing. This will be the first year I won't be upgrading anything. All of my discretionary funds are being saved at this point as the wife and I have settled on ending our stay in NY. We plan to move to Maine after my daughter graduates her masters program in the summer of 26. Limited fun times for Vic for the next 25 months! :sadsun: 

Explain to her that you just really, really, need it, okay?

• Haha 1

38 minutes ago, Mr.Vic20 said:

I know what you mean, but I've chosen to interpret your question as: How much does Vic's wash sell for? Answer: There is none to be sold because my new puppy "Gus" keeps barging into my bathroom during bath time and drinking it all! :daydream:

Edit: Baths are gross, I only shower. 

Human soup.

They don’t come to be nearly as bad as public hot tubs though. That’s a level of gross I can’t deal with. 

Never ever keep any money in PayPal, the yoinking the money over two years later is new to me but in general they're notorious for grabbing money out of accounts and refusing to give it back. 

2 hours ago, Mr.Vic20 said:

Where in Maine? Give a fellow a holler.

2 minutes ago, Kal-El814 said:

Where in Maine? Give a fellow a holler.

We're planning to be within 45 minutes of Portland. Where we land specifically will be job dependent. You will be holler'd at sir! :sun:  

• Hugs 1

49 minutes ago, Jason said:

Never ever keep any money in PayPal, the yoinking the money over two years later is new to me but in general they're notorious for grabbing money out of accounts and refusing to give it back. 

The most I’ll do with PayPal is those PayPal in 4 things where you can do four interest free payments over the course of two months rather than one giant payment.

• Halal 1

Things like PayPal and Venmo are generally fine as long as you use it to send money and you're not hanging onto a balance. Would be better if bank transfers in the US weren't a fucking drag so sending money was easier and going into and out of spots that are FDIC insured, but we can't have nice things, so...

3 hours ago, Jason said:

When I learned how PayPal treats sellers I stopped using them. People would buy a product on ebay or something and then the buyer would claim they didn't get the product and Paypal would automatically refund them no questions asked from the seller's account.

I may or may not have sold a WoW charactor a long time ago. It was a common PayPal scam at the time.

5 hours ago, Link200 said:

When I learned how PayPal treats sellers I stopped using them. People would buy a product on ebay or something and then the buyer would claim they didn't get the product and Paypal would automatically refund them no questions asked from the seller's account.

I may or may not have sold a WoW charactor a long time ago. It was a common PayPal scam at the time.

It's even worse than that, Paypal will then charge the seller a fee for transaction cancellation.  

Happened to me once. Got scammed out my sold item on top a $20 fee after the buyer issued a refund. Paypal told me there was nothing they can do because "the bank" charged the cancellation fee that they happily passed along to me.

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/9/2024 at 10:06 PM, cusideabelincoln said:

It's even worse than that, Paypal will then charge the seller a fee for transaction cancellation.  

Happened to me once. Got scammed out my sold item on top a $20 fee after the buyer issued a refund. Paypal told me there was nothing they can do because "the bank" charged the cancellation fee that they happily passed along to me.

Good point.

Apparently people screw streamers that way all the time. Do a bunch of $1 donations and then refund it all back. Every $1 donation comes with something like a $15 fee for the streamer.