Work Trip to Vegas

TheLeon

I work for a major grocery chain, and they’re are in the process of opening a new distribution center in the Las Vegas area. While they’re in this transitional period and operating out of both warehouses, they need extra help, and since I have years of experience in a boring but very specific job, they’re flying me out for two weeks. It was a surprising offer, since I had never heard of anyone at my (low) level getting this type of travel work. 

I’m pretty excited. I’ve been to Vegas once, but it was a family trip when I was 18 and we didn’t spend much time in Vegas proper.

• Hype 3

4 minutes ago, Mr.Vic20 said:

Reminder/PSA: DO NOT EAT SUSHI SERVED ANYWHERE ON THE OLD STRIP! 

instructions unclear, projectile vomited all over the cocktail waitress at the roulette table

• Hype 1

20 minutes ago, Mr.Vic20 said:

Reminder/PSA: DO NOT EAT SUSHI SERVED ANYWHERE ON THE OLD STRIP! 

I’ll play it safe and continue my standard practice of not eating ANY sushi.

11 minutes ago, best3444 said:

That's cool. Enjoying the food I'd imagine would be stellar. 

Oh yeah, I’m making a lot of the best restaurants on Yelp with a single $ rating. The per diem is good, but not that good. 

• Haha 1

Awesome, congrats on the opportunity! Are you going to have much free time while there, or will even the weekends be pretty packed, as far as you know? 

I'm mostly just wondering if you'll have a chance to go to a show in Vegas, or drive over to the Hoover Dam, for example; both of which you should definitely do if you can, IMO! 

17 minutes ago, Nokra said:

Awesome, congrats on the opportunity! Are you going to have much free time while there, or will even the weekends be pretty packed, as far as you know? 

I'm mostly just wondering if you'll have a chance to go to a show in Vegas, or drive over to the Hoover Dam, for example; both of which you should definitely do if you can, IMO! 

I don’t know for sure, but I think it’ll be normal-ish work days, and I should have at least one day off. The Hoover Dam is on my list. It’s only about a 30 minute drive from where I’ll be working, so I could knock that out in an afternoon. 

I was looking at shows, but nothing really caught my eye. Probably just end up people watching on the strip. 

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, stepee said:

Caesars Palace Buffet or gtfo

Looking this up. The only way I could ever justify spending that much on a single meal is a ridiculously large/fancy buffet, so good call.

6 minutes ago, best3444 said:

Lol let's get back on topic. 

I’ll be playing some UO on this trip, it’s fine. 

• Hype 1

I should’ve bought a bigger suitcase. It’s been a long time since I’ve flown for a trip longer than 4-5 days. I just have a carry on and a backpack. I’ll be doing laundry at least once on this trip. :lol:

1 hour ago, TheLeon said:

I should’ve bought a bigger suitcase. It’s been a long time since I’ve flown for a trip longer than 4-5 days. I just have a carry on and a backpack. I’ll be doing laundry at least once on this trip. :lol:

Laundry? I wouldn't even shower on that trip. 

This is fun. Had delay complications on my flight out here so I had like a 13 hour travel day on Sunday, and they fucked up my hotel reservation so I had to pay for my first night. Then I get to work, and nobody knows what is happening. I showed up yesterday and couldn’t log into anything, they didn’t have a temporary badge for me so I can’t even get around the building on my own. Eventually they sent me “home” early because they didn’t have any work for me. Then I come in today, and it’s similar. Half of the day so far I’m just doing busywork that will probably hurt things overall, but I had to stop that because they had to spin up operations again to do more stupid shit. Now I’m waiting for that to be done so I can continue on with my bullshit little tasks that will be extremely inefficient, but nobody listens to me when I bring this up. 

But hey, I got to wander around the strip yesterday afternoon and look at all of the insane ways to waste money, so that was fun. 

• Hype 2

1 hour ago, Nokra said:

Are you going to gamble at all while you're there? I feel like you have to at least donate $20. :p

I put in my $20 last night. I had been walking for hours and thought I would take a break at a slot machine for a while. It… didn’t last long. 

• Hugs 1
  • Hype 1

• 2 weeks later...

Yeah, everything was expensive. Luckily, my per diem covered basically everything. The bulk of my trip was pretty boring. I put in a decent amount of overtime, and most evenings after work I would basically find something to eat and then go back to the hotel. I had one day off, and got in some touristy stuff, including the Hoover Dam and the Omega Mart. I hit the strip a couple of times and Fremont Street once, but mostly just kinda walked around. 

One night, the fire alarm started going off in my hotel at 2:15am. Turned out there was an electrical fire in the elevator. That was fun. Ended up getting relocated to a slightly worse hotel that actually would’ve been a better setup for a long stay, but I only had a couple nights to go at that point. 

• Hype 1

16 minutes ago, TheLeon said:

Yeah, everything was expensive. Luckily, my per diem covered basically everything. The bulk of my trip was pretty boring. I put in a decent amount of overtime, and most evenings after work I would basically find something to eat and then go back to the hotel. I had one day off, and got in some touristy stuff, including the Hoover Dam and the Omega Mart. I hit the strip a couple of times and Fremont Street once, but mostly just kinda walked around. 

One night, the fire alarm started going off in my hotel at 2:15am. Turned out there was an electrical fire in the elevator. That was fun. Ended up getting relocated to a slightly worse hotel that actually would’ve been a better setup for a long stay, but I only had a couple nights to go at that point. 

Overall, what's your thoughts on the environment in Vegas? I hear its not nearly as impressive as it is at night with all the lights. 

54 minutes ago, best3444 said:

Overall, what's your thoughts on the environment in Vegas? I hear it’s not nearly as impressive as it is at night with all the lights. 

I see the appeal, but it’s not really my scene. Now that I’ve been there as an adult, it’s lost some mystique for me. The best case scenario for a visit seems like if you’ve got a lot of cash to burn and some friends who really want to cut loose for a few days. 

• Halal 1

50 minutes ago, TheLeon said:

I see the appeal, but it’s not really my scene. Now that I’ve been there as an adult, it’s lost some mystique for me. The best case scenario for a visit seems like if you’ve got a lot of cash to burn and some friends who really want to cut loose for a few days. 

Did you hire a prostitute?