The Gentleman - Netflix Series Based on Guy Ritchie's Film

The series based on Ritchie’s 2019 film of the same name has added Ray Winstone (The Departed, Black Widow) to its ensemble. He’ll play Bobby Glass, a career criminal from London who has built an industrial cannabis empire. The Gentlemen is set to premiere in March on the streamer.

Winstone joins Theo James, Kaya Scodelario, Daniel Ings, Joely Richardson, Vinnie Jones, Giancarlo Esposito, Chanel Cresswell, Michael Vu, Max Beesley, Jasmine Blackborow, Harry Goodwins, Dar Salim, Pearce Quigley, Ruby Sear and Peter Serafinowicz in the cast. The story will follow James’ Eddie Horniman, who inherits his father’s country estate and discovers it’s part of a clandestine cannabis empire that a lot of unsavory characters would like to grab from him.

Ritchie is the creator, co-writer and executive producer of the series. He also directed the first two episodes.

1 hour ago, Brian said:

Same for me and @Greatoneshere

You know me. :batting:

Definitely going to check this out. The only two Guy Ritchie projects I genuinely didn't like was his Swept Away remake from 2002 starring his then-wife Madonna (what a misfire) and his live-action Aladdin remake, which I didn't hate or anything, but found to be meh/average. Also, his delayed Operation Fortune film was solid but not memorable. Excepting those, all of his movies have multiple good things to offer - The Covenant might be his highest rated movies by critics and audiences in a good while, it did so well, and that was his latest film. 

• True 1

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Watched the first episode and very much enjoyed. I enjoyed the movie and so I really hope we get a Hugh Grant character that chews up the scenery. Loved the complete arrogant asshole the characters was but still like the guy. The druggie brother is better than I thought, even when I saw where things were going. So count me in for a series watch

• 4 weeks later...

I agree with everyone else's sentiments here, this was very entertaining. Kind of like a modern day Downton Abbey but with crime and Guy Ritchie-esque dark humor. This most reminded me of Ritchie's underappreciated movie Revolver, where this had more formalism and classiness to its filmmaking, music and cinematography than Ritchie's more gonzo cartoon style of filmmaking (and less humor but more posh class). It is a bit over the top as you have to accept cops basically don't exist but within the unique world they've built it's incredibly fun - everyone acts great in this too but the business relationship between Theo James and Kaya Scodelario is the reason I kept watching. Everyone should check this out!

Finished it a few days ago and really enjoyed it. Fn of the movie and I think it works even better here in the tv format. Get to see the cogs spinning from everyone and everywhere, but at a slightly easier pace. It really allowed the character breathing room to establish who/what kind of person they are. Loved the last episode and really do hope we get a 2nd season. Will also admit to watching this high as fuck an episode at a time. I felt a little like Freddie with the slightest bit of tension feeling just a bit tighter than it should have been. Kinda added to the experience in all honesty

I saw the movie in the theater, but it really didn’t leave any impression on me, so I wasn’t paying much attention to this show. But I heard enough good things that I watched the first couple of episodes, and I like it a lot. Kaya Scodelario :daydream:

• Hype 2