California Pizza Huts Going Carry Out Only at the End of February

WWW.USATODAY.COM

Fast-food workers in the state are set to get a pay bump of close to 30% in April as the minimum wages rises from $16 to $20 an hour.

Pizza Hut is laying off more than 1,200 delivery drivers in California.

The layoffs, which will take place through the end of February, come as California's minimum wage is about to go up by $4. Fast-food workers in the state are set to get a pay bump of close to 30% in April as the minimum wages rises from $16 to $20 an hour.

PacPizza, LLC, operating as Pizza Hut, said in a Worker Adjustment and Retraining Notification (WARN) Act notice that the company made a business decision to eliminate first-party delivery services and, as a result, the elimination of all delivery driver positions, according to Business Insider. The notice was filed with the state's Employment Development Department.

Southern California Pizza Co., a second Pizza Hut franchise, is also eliminating its in-house delivery services and laying off 841 drivers, according to a WARN Act notice from Dec 1.

The layoffs impact drivers at Pizza Hut locations in Sacramento, Palm Springs, Los Angeles and other cities throughout the state.

Do most restaurants still have their own delivery driver anymore? Pretty much in my area (+200k population) everything is pretty much done by Skip the Dishes, Door Dash, or Uber Eats for fast food delivery. I think Dominos and a few independent Chinese restaurants still use their own, but that’s about it. Surprising to kinda see driver layoffs stateside, as I thought we were behind you guys. 

9 minutes ago, silentbob said:

Do most restaurants still have their own delivery driver anymore? Pretty much in my area (+200k population) everything is pretty much done by Skip the Dishes, Door Dash, or Uber Eats for fast food delivery. I think Dominos and a few independent Chinese restaurants still use their own, but that’s about it. Surprising to kinda see driver layoffs stateside, as I thought we were behind you guys. 

I cannot emphasize enough how shit rideshares are for foodservice business.

• True 1

48 minutes ago, unogueen said:

I cannot emphasize enough how shit rideshares are for foodservice business.

They also jack up the price so it cost double than it normally would. Imagine ordering a $7 pizza and then it cost $15 to get it delivered. If it was delivered from the pizza place they allegedly include the delivery fee in the price but it's generally not much.

This should hurt Pizza Hut in the long run but never underestimate lazy people.

11 minutes ago, Keyser_Soze said:

They also jack up the price so it cost double than it normally would. Imagine ordering a $7 pizza and then it cost $15 to get it delivered. If it was delivered from the pizza place they allegedly include the delivery fee in the price but it's generally not much.

Pretty much.

5 hours ago, SoberChef said:

WHOA! Minimum wage in Cali is now $20!? Only just now hit $15 in NYS. Wow!

I mean... let me put it this way... I have 2 friends who work for facebook that live in San Jose. Between the both of them, they make something like $250k/year. They're roommates. Granted, they have a very nice apartment and both drive nice cars, but still.

The problem is, especially in the bay area, they've far passed the point where service workers can't afford to live anywhere near where they work, which has led to a dearth of service workers in places like San Francisco. They have no choice but to keep raising the minimum wage, otherwise silicon valley employees won't be able to get their cappuccinos or go out for drinks anymore, because the service workers are commuting from Stockton every day and many/most will find that it simply isn't worth it.

As usual, the problem with California is HOUSING. FUCK THE NIMBYS AND BUILD IT

• True 1
  • Halal 2

12 hours ago, silentbob said:

All the pizza places do, but that's it as far as I know. 

11 hours ago, Keyser_Soze said:

One night I compared the local pizza place's delivery service vs DoorDash (same place, order, and tip), was only $1 difference.