EGS Winter Sale & Daily Giveaways

crispy4000

4 hours ago, XxEvil AshxX said:

I would play Saints Row for free.....maybe.

I figured I'd throw them a bone and buy Dead Island 2 using their coupon for $26. Since I've been freeloading on their giveaways for a while now.

I’m considering it for Kingdom Hearts III.  Console versions have bad framerates, and I don’t think it’s getting cheaper than this if I was to wait for a Steam port that may never come.

Just make sure you backup your save for KH3 if you move to a new pc as it doesn’t support cloud, less you keep forgetting this and have to play through Toy Story world 4 times like me. Idk why developers almost always use cloud saves on Steam but very often don’t on Epic, but they will need to sort that out before I actually buy anything non exclusive there again.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, AbsolutSurgen said:

If that list is right, I already own the two "big" games they are offering.  I keep collecting EGS games I will never play.

It’s pretty common for Epic to give away stuff from 2 years ago that’s made the rounds on PS+ and Games Pass.

I’m not complaining though.  I’d take a free copy from Epic over a subscription locked PS+ Essential version.  Or time limited access on Games Pass/PS+ Extra.

Its one of the best things about EGS giveaways.  Many of the games you’d lose access to on console, you now own.  Plus PC versions like GotG are preferred.

For people who haven’t played them I do think Plagues Tale, Guardians, Saints Row, and Ghostrunner are all fun games worth playing out of the remaining ones I’ve played. DNF was also a pretty killer pick.

I was happy to get Outter Worlds and Art of Rally, but fell short of 3 games I actually wanted as I already owned those other games up above. I’ll try some of the others I redeemed and 20 minutes til Dawn looks interesting, but man that’s like $3 on Steam right now.

So yeah theres good stuff here but the other years were definitely better with more fresh content. 

Steam sale is coming to a close soon. I might see what dlc is available for my games, but this could be the first biannual sale I pick up nothing since I started with it.

The $12 in credit I’ve got isn’t quite enough to cover most of the SquareEnix games I’d want.  Monster Boy & the Cursed Kingdom for $7.50 is tempting, but I’m thinking we’ll see that in a humble bundle or epic giveaway soonish.  Guardians could have got me, but as we know, it’s being given away.

Is Lego Skywalker Saga worth it?  Ahead of picking up Nier Automata or FFXV the next sale?  That’s the choice as I see it.

16 hours ago, crispy4000 said:

Steam sale is coming to a close soon. I might see what dlc is available for my games, but this could be the first biannual sale I pick up nothing since I started with it.

The $12 in credit I’ve got isn’t quite enough to cover most of the SquareEnix games I’d want.  Monster Boy & the Cursed Kingdom for $7.50 is tempting, but I’m thinking we’ll see that in a humble bundle or epic giveaway soonish.  Guardians could have got me, but as we know, it’s being given away.

Is Lego Skywalker Saga worth it?  Ahead of picking up Nier Automata or FFXV the next sale?  That’s the choice as I see it.

Lego Skywalker is very good and definitely the best of the lego games I’ve played besides Undercover imo. The only complaint people mention seems to be it does a more shortened version of the story for each movie than the original releases did, but I think that might be a good thing considering the content on hand here. Tons of optional content and worlds to explore, you could spend a lot of time here or just blast through the movies. It looks great and plays a lot better with the new camera and more action like loves and even combos.

36 minutes ago, Brian said:
SLICKDEALS.NET

Deal includes Divinity: Original Sin Enhanced Edition and Divinity: Original Sin 2 Definitive Edition for $16.43. All-time low price. Both games are from Larian Studios, makers of Baldur's Gate

@best3444

I bought DOS2 already for $13 on the steam sale. But thanks for the heads up. 

3 hours ago, best3444 said:

I bought DOS2 already for $13 on the steam sale. But thanks for the heads up. 

Just a heads up, if you have part of a bundle on Steam, buying the bundle gives just what you're missing. So if you do want the first game, you can get it with the 81% bundle discount instead of 75% off. I think it will automatically add the bundle if you try to buy just DOS since you already have DOS2.

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, dualhunter said:

Just a heads up, if you have part of a bundle on Steam, buying the bundle gives just what you're missing. So if you do want the first game, you can get it with the 81% bundle discount instead of 75% off. I think it will automatically add the bundle if you try to buy just DOS since you already have DOS2.

Very interesting to know. I litteraly have no money so I won't be getting it but that's good info. 

54 minutes ago, XxEvil AshxX said:

Well they got me with this one. Came for the free games, used that coupon on Dead Island 2.

Guess I'm installing their launcher now....

Dead Island 2 is freagin great for a zombie game. 

2 hours ago, AbsolutSurgen said:

:shrug:

if their price is better, i have no issue buying anything there that i don’t plan on playing on Steam Deck. 
some of their coupons on AAA games have been 🔥

I used to feel this way but I’ve found myself constantly disappointed by lack of cloud save space support even in games that do have it on Steam. Until I feel it’s better there I think I’ll only buy exclusives. 

20 minutes ago, stepee said:

I used to feel this way but I’ve found myself constantly disappointed by lack of cloud save space support even in games that do have it on Steam. Until I feel it’s better there I think I’ll only buy exclusives. 

Eh, I'm playing My Time in Sandrock on EGS and the cloud syncing seems to be working fine between my gaming PC and gaming laptop.

2 minutes ago, Ghost_MH said:

Eh, I'm playing My Time in Sandrock on EGS and the cloud syncing seems to be working fine between my gaming PC and gaming laptop.

I think I may have phrased that poorly, Epic most certainly does support cloud saves and they work fine. But for whatever reason it’s very hit and miss which games do or do not support it whereas with Steam it seems very rare. 

18 minutes ago, stepee said:

I think I may have phrased that poorly, Epic most certainly does support cloud saves and they work fine. But for whatever reason it’s very hit and miss which games do or do not support it whereas with Steam it seems very rare. 

Ah, I think that's probably because EGS backs up the save data when it's stored either in My Documents or AppData. Steam forces games to store their save data on one central Steam userdata folder. I'm guessing games that don't support EGS cloud saves didn't put their save data in a normal place and did something like store them in a game's own directory or something weird like that. There's probably some way to flag your save data location for EGS, but some game publishers/devs probably aren't bothering.

• Halal 1

5 minutes ago, stepee said:

Dead Island 2 is one of those that doesn’t support cloud saves btw so keep it backed up!

That game just straight up disabled cloud saves. That's wild. Save data is in a totally normal place. I haven't seen anything from the devs explaining why.

That's as obnoxious as Gamefreak disabling cloud saves for Switch Pokemon games.

• True 1

1 hour ago, stepee said:

I very rarely care that much about Cloud support. 
When I have, it’s usually a GAAS situation. 

Cloud support is one of the most important things for me when buying a game. Not having to worry about losing progress over the years and being able to easily move between machines is one of the main perks to actually owning a game for me. I’m looking forward to getting emudecks cross platform cloud saves because that has been so annoying over the years starting over classic games. One of the main reasons I got the MGS collection was just to finally have cloud saves for those to keep forever.

21 minutes ago, stepee said:

Cloud support is one of the most important things for me when buying a game. Not having to worry about losing progress over the years and being able to easily move between machines is one of the main perks to actually owning a game for me. I’m looking forward to getting emudecks cross platform cloud saves because that has been so annoying over the years starting over classic games. One of the main reasons I got the MGS collection was just to finally have cloud saves for those to keep forever.

Different strokes for different folks.

I do 99% of my gaming on one PC, and rarely use a save that wasn't already installed on that PC.  

• True 1