Grim Zaslav Reaps Again: People's fear of digital media is happening.

WWW.FORBES.COM

Sony is deleting shows that you may have paid for through the PlayStation Store thanks to a crumbling deal with Warner Bros.

“Due to our content licensing arrangements with content providers, you will no longer be able to watch any of your previously purchased Discovery content and the content will be removed from your video library.”

• Guillotine 1

• 4 weeks later...

Good news. If you have great shows like Beasts Behaving Badly, Living With Man Eaters, or Sex Sent Me to the Slammer on your Playstation this zero hour licensing deal has saved your library!

WWW.THEVERGE.COM

You can keep watching those MythBusters episodes you bought.

I was going to say, if this happened then Sony was looking at a MASSIVE lawsuit. I don't see how me buying something from a digital storefront can affect my purchase after I bought it. Am I missing something? That would be like going to best buy, buying a DVD and then them taking the DVD back after you paid for it because their deal with the studio that made the DVD fell through. Makes no sense.

EDIT: Okay I just read it... that's crazy to me that you don't actually own these digital copies you buy. NUTS. The only digital versions of movies I "own" are the ones that come with the physical combo discs that I buy and redeem online. I still buy physical media for movies because that's where the absolute best image quality is going to be.

• Hype 2

Sadly Warner Bros releases in Canada and a good chunk of other companies, don’t include the blu-ray and/or the digital copy anymore. We had a problem 10 or less years ago when a Canadian digital movie site go belly up and I had 80+ movies on their site at the time. Thankfully I was able to keep all but maybe a small handful of 2-5 movies, where they didn’t get a Google Play store conversion. 

• Hugs 2

2 hours ago, silentbob said:

Sadly Warner Bros releases in Canada and a good chunk of other companies, don’t include the blu-ray and/or the digital copy anymore. We had a problem 10 or less years ago when a Canadian digital movie site go belly up and I had 80+ movies on their site at the time. Thankfully I was able to keep all but maybe a small handful of 2-5 movies, where they didn’t get a Google Play store conversion. 

Do they love Hitler's Zombie Army in Canada?

6 hours ago, Greatoneshere said:

Physical media is quickly going by the way side, I think we all just need to learn to adapt. I've moved on from physical for a few years now, just don't see the point anymore when it can be prohibitively expensive and hard to get (or can't get at all). It's a shame, but it's the case.

@Greatoneshere watches Monster Bug Wars confirmed!

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, Greatoneshere said:

Physical media is quickly going by the way side, I think we all just need to learn to adapt. I've moved on from physical for a few years now, just don't see the point anymore when it can be prohibitively expensive and hard to get (or can't get at all). It's a shame, but it's the case.

While I very well may be biased in my opinion, it isn't too far a stretch to see that the rise of popularity for vinyl, and to a lesser degree, cassette & V/H/S for niche markets, collecting movies in a physical format won't ever be fully stopped as there will ALWAYS be a wanton need for such a product & there are many distributors catering to that market (which still rakes in billions annually.) Wal-Mart will continue to keep a footprint for these and I wouldn't be surprised to see Target and even to a lesser degree, Best Buy, going back on this "market strategy". Then again, that's just my opinion, I could be wrong.

14 hours ago, SoberChef said:

While I very well may be biased in my opinion, it isn't too far a stretch to see that the rise of popularity for vinyl, and to a lesser degree, cassette & V/H/S for niche markets, collecting movies in a physical format won't ever be fully stopped as there will ALWAYS be a wanton need for such a product & there are many distributors catering to that market (which still rakes in billions annually.) Wal-Mart will continue to keep a footprint for these and I wouldn't be surprised to see Target and even to a lesser degree, Best Buy, going back on this "market strategy". Then again, that's just my opinion, I could be wrong.

I'm not saying it will disappear but it's become a rich person's niche hobby, just like vinyl. I'm not suggesting it will ever truly go away 100% but it's not supported in the mainstream like it once was. Most streaming content never even sees a physical release these days. You will not see the market go back the other way. Director's commentaries, deleted scenes, archival purposes, no one cares anymore except academics and film nerds like us. 

• Halal 2

1 hour ago, Greatoneshere said:

I'm not saying it will disappear but it's become a rich person's niche hobby, just like vinyl. I'm not suggesting it will ever truly go away 100% but it's not supported in the mainstream like it once was. Most streaming content never even sees a physical release these days. You will not see the market go back the other way. Director's commentaries, deleted scenes, archival purposes, no one cares anymore except academics and film nerds like us. 

It’s the reason why I sadly spend close to $100Cnd to import my Marvel 4K/3D set. I usually try and splurge for the steelbook if available. Sadly that might be an extra $10-20Cnd to do that, but I have almost all of them since Thor: The Dark World (missing Eternals, GotG: V3, and Dr Strange: MoM, but bought their 4k/3D release) Crossing my fingers that a release announcement will be coming from Amazon.jp for The Marvels 4K/3D soon. 

• Halal 1
  • Hugs 1

1 hour ago, SuperSpreader said:

Yup. I haven't cared about this since like 2006

38 minutes ago, silentbob said:

It’s the reason why I sadly spend close to $100Cnd to import my Marvel 4K/3D set. I usually try and splurge for the steelbook if available. Sadly that might be an extra $10-20Cnd to do that, but I have almost all of them since Thor: The Dark World (missing Eternals, GotG: V3, and Dr Strange: MoM, but bought their 4k/3D release) Crossing my fingers that a release announcement will be coming from Amazon.jp for The Marvels 4K/3D soon. 

Exactly. It's just not tenable in terms of making real money for most studios these days. It sucks and I wish it wasn't the case but while I miss the days of my awesome DVD collection and decent bluray collection those days are long gone.

On 12/29/2023 at 12:26 PM, TwinIon said:

I have avoided "buying" any digital media for largely this reason, but I have given in a few times just for the convenience factor. 

The only exception is PC games, which I've largely accepted, but still don't love my reliance on Steam and what not. 

there have been a couple of things that disappear from streaming, rental, or digital sale for long stretches of time. I’ve bought them when I see them become available on Amazon and so far I’ve never not had access to them, even when they are unavailable to everyone else for a bit again. Yeah it probably won’t last forever, but from what I can tell most digital purchases of licenses are honored even past the point where new copies can be sold. I think that’s why so many found this so shocking and upsetting. Maybe it’s a difference in how Sony has handled the sale of things vs everyone else. But I wonder if maybe Sony just didn’t want to keep taking up server storage space for these titles and figured nobody would miss them or care.