Gaza/Israel Update (04/02): Israeli airstrike kills foreign workers of World Central Kitchen (Chef José Andrés food aid charity)

Just now, TUFKAK said:

I believe any incursion will escalate, lose a few IDF soldiers and there will be a larger call to action. 

I don’t disagree that it would be bad regardless of who won their (Israel’s) 2020 election, I just believe that it will be worse under Netanyahu. I think whatever it could have escalated to under another leader, with Netanyahu it will start at/around that level.

• Halal 1

1 minute ago, Spork3245 said:

I don’t disagree that it would be bad regardless of who won their (Israel’s) 2020 election, I just believe that it will be worse under Netanyahu. I think whatever it could have escalated to under another leader, with Netanyahu it will start at/around that level.

Oh I want him gone too don’t get me wrong. I just don’t see any way this doesn’t end in a full war unfortunately 

• Halal 1

2 hours ago, TUFKAK said:

As spork said he has limited support and the Palestinians have never been on board with a diplomatic solution either, “from the desert to the sea” after all.

I believe any incursion will escalate, lose a few IDF soldiers and there will be a larger call to action. 

While more Palestinians aren't on board with a diplomatic solution, Zionists aren't either and with Netanyahu's support they have continued building settlements and with other antagonising behavior. Not to mention prop up Hamas. And Israel has far more military might than the Palestinians so it isn't an equal playing field. 

If Israel wants my full support they have to actually try for peace which starts with not only stopping settlements but removing the existing ones. Yeah it probably won't work but at least they will have the moral high ground. 

• Halal 1

2 hours ago, TUFKAK said:

I just don’t see any way this doesn’t end in a full war unfortunately

FWIW, if Netanyahu wasn’t able to hold power for as long as he has, I don’t believe it would’ve escalated to anything like the past several weeks. The man is just such a turd, and I believe that the majority of everything that is about to come and has come in the past month and few years is on his head.

2 hours ago, Air_Delivery said:

If Israel wants my full support

That’s the thing, giving “full support” to either side in this forever-conflict only shows ignorance, IMO. Leaning towards one or the other is human nature, but understanding that there’s a huge grey area between that and full support is, (again) IMO, extremely important.

• True 1

The Israelis have mobilized 360,000 reservists to active duty status.  From a purely economic perspective, that represents a significant proportion of the nation's labor force that's no longer substantially contributing to GDP output.  

There's absolutley an economic clock ticking for this IDF operation where those mobilized reserve personnel are either used for the purpose for which they were recalled to active duty status or they're released back into the civilian economy to avoid a severe degradation in overall economic performance.

• Halal 1

58 minutes ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

The Israelis have mobilized 360,000 reservists to active duty status.  From a purely economic perspective, that represents a significant proportion of the nation's labor force that's no longer substantially contributing to GDP output.  

There's absolutley an economic clock ticking for this IDF operation where those mobilized reserve personnel are either used for the purpose for which they were recalled to active duty status or they're released back into the civilian economy to avoid a severe degradation in overall economic performance.

If daddy America can get their shit together I'm sure billions in aid will smooth things over for awhile.

4 hours ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

Somebody watched a Perun video :p

11 minutes ago, Jwheel86 said:

Somebody watched a Perun video :p

In fact, I have not watched that particular video at all!

It really just comes down to fairly basic economic reality.  It's practically axiomatic that a nation state simply cannot afford to have more than about 1% of its able-bodied labor force committed to active military duty for an extended period of time without risking significant disruption to the broader economy.

For my part, I can honestly say that there really isn't anything that Israel can do to ever earn my "full support" owing to the circumstances of its creation and continued existence, especially as long as settlers continue to blatantly steal Palestinian land in the West Bank.

An acknowledgement of its right to exist and reasonably defend itself (i.e., not wholesale slaughtering people who pose absolutely zero existential threat whatsoever)?  Sure - no issues with that whatsoever, but that's about as far as I'll ever go.

Hell, I'm not even going to deny that at least some part of my relative ambivalence towards Israel isn't rooted in lingering remnants of my Roman Catholicism.

• Halal 1

22 hours ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

In fact, I have not watched that particular video at all!

It really just comes down to fairly basic economic reality.  It's practically axiomatic that a nation state simply cannot afford to have more than about 1% of its able-bodied labor force committed to active military duty for an extended period of time without risking significant disruption to the broader economy.

Mass Mobilization can be a sly way to solve mass unemployment…but it’s not such a good deal when the mobilized population is already employed.  Or, god forbid, experiencing once-in-a-generation labor shortages.

WWW.ALJAZEERA.COM

Israeli prime minister describes campaign against Hamas as ‘second war of independence’.

In a press conference in Tel Aviv on Saturday night, Netanyahu told Israelis to prepare for a “long and hard” offensive, describing the campaign as the country’s “second war of independence” since 1948.

“This is the second stage of the war whose goals are clear – to destroy Hamas’s governing and military capabilities and to bring the hostages home,” Netanyahu told reporters.

“We are only at the start. We will destroy the enemy above ground and below ground.”

US blames Hamas for not letting American citizens out of Gaza (The Hill)

“It is true the Egyptians are prepared to allow American citizens and foreign nationals to come through the Rafah gate into Egypt. The Israelis have no issue with that. Hamas has been preventing their departure and making a series of demands. I can’t go through those demands in public, but that is the subject of the discussions in the negotiations that are ongoing,” he said.

There are an estimated 600 American citizens in Gaza who like the rest of the 2 million population have no way of getting out as the war intensifies and basic needs run dangerously low. Sullivan reiterated that the U.S. is working to find them a way out as Israel escalates its operations into the territory.

Israeli armored units appear to be advancing in two directions around Gaza City in a pincer movement designed to cut it off from the southern part of the territory:

From The Guardian:

Israeli forces appear to be advancing in two directions around Gaza City, according to reports in the Hebrew media, statements from Hamas and Palestinian witness accounts.

In the north of the Gaza Strip, Israeli armour was reported to be operating close to the Mediterranean coast, while Hamas said it was engaged in “heavy fighting … with the invading occupation force” in northern Gaza.

Separately, witness reports from inside Gaza described Israeli tanks cutting the main north-south Salah al-Din road south of Gaza City and operating on the outskirts of the Zaytoun and Shajaiya neighbourhoods of Gaza City.

Palestinian witnesses told the AFP news agency that tanks were seen in the Zaytun district on the outskirts of Gaza City.

“They have cut the Salah al-Din road and are firing at any vehicle that tries to go along it,” said one resident.

If confirmed, the cutting of the key road would suggest that Israeli forces are attempting to cut off Gaza City from the south, in effect isolating and laying siege to the urban sprawl that extends north all the way to Beit Hanoun and Beit Lahia.

Israeli tanks have reached the outskirts of Gaza City and cut off a road that connects north and south of the territory, signalling a potential effort to surround its main city.

Witnesses said tanks entered the Zaytun district on Monday morning and posted footage of what appeared to be the shelling of a car. “They have cut the Salah al-Din road and are firing at any vehicle that tries to go along it,” said one resident, Agence France-Presse reported.

Hamas fighters were attempting to block the incursion, Hazem Qasem, a Hamas spokesperson, told reporters. “The Palestinian resistance attacked the Israeli tanks in Salah al-Din street.” The area is about 2 miles from the Gaza fence.

The Israel Defence Forces were “gradually moving ahead according to plan”, the IDF’s chief military spokesperson, Daniel Hagari, told a press briefing, adding that the IDF had killed dozens of Hamas militants in overnight clashes and struck more than 600 “terror targets”, including weapons depots and anti-tank missile launching positions, in recent days.

The bombardment has killed more than 8,300 people in Gaza, according to the Hamas-run health ministry. More children have been killed in Gaza in the past three weeks than the total killed in conflicts around the world in every year since 2019, Save the Children said.

From the BBC:

What we know about footage showing tank firing on Salah al-Din road

BBC Verify has geolocated the footage in the post below - which was posted on social media - to the Salah- al-Din Road, the main road from north to south in Gaza.

It shows a car driving towards the tank, before doing a three-point turn to drive away from it.

We then see the tank fire, and the car explode.

Another car, from which the video is filmed, drives away after seeing the explosion. We used satellite images to pinpoint the location to a strip of the Salah al-Din road 2km north of the Wadi Gaza.

This footage is the deepest inside Gaza we have seen Israeli forces since they expanded their ground operations on Friday.

Internet connectivity inside Gaza has been largely cut off in recent days, so we have had limited footage, aside from some videos released by Israel Defense Forces.

We have reverse image searched frames from the tank video but have found no copies before this morning - indicating it was first uploaded today.

BBC reporter Rushdi Abualouf who is on the ground in Gaza has also spoken to a photographer who says he was in the car with the cameraman who took the video.

ce86771f-98c6-41d9-bcb8-07c7ac6f610b.png

EDITION.CNN.COM

A 23-year-old German-Israeli woman who was kidnapped from the Nova music festival by Hamas militants on October 7 has been found dead, the Israeli Ministry of Foreign Affairs has...

Reminder how this all started and reminder my sister lost ten friends at that festival.

• Sad 2
  • Hugs 3

https://www.reddit.com/r/CombatFootage/s/UYndPQJ553

Kind of NSFL in the horrific sense even though you don’t see the aftermath.

Car appears to drive down the street and realizes it’s rolling up on an Israeli tank around a building. Stops. Turns around. Tank blows it to smithereens anyways. Reminds me of when that Russian BMP diced up that car with the elderly couple in it.

• Guillotine 1

I'm sure Cairo is totally onboard with this plan.  

Totally.  Onboard.

A draft document prepared by the Israeli intel ministry suggests an option to initially relocate Gaza's population to tent cities in northern Sinai. This is a first indication of a possible exit strategy to the war by the political leadership

Among a number of suggestions in a new document drafted by Israel’s Intelligence Ministry is the possible relocation of the population of the Gaza Strip to Egypt’s Sinai Peninsula, in the current war's aftermath.

11 minutes ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

I'm sure Cairo is totally onboard with this plan.  

Totally.  Onboard.

Terrible idea, but at some point there needs to be a conversation that 2.3 million people living in a 25x3 mile area surrounded by neighbors who don't want anything to do with you, isn't viable. 

• True 1

22 minutes ago, Jwheel86 said:

Terrible idea, but at some point there needs to be a conversation that 2.3 million people living in a 25x3 mile area surrounded by neighbors who don't want anything to do with you, isn't viable. 

But it’s on Israel only to fix it cause reasons.

1 hour ago, Jwheel86 said:

Can someone explain the "posters of kidnapped people aren't real so we're going to tear them down" thing?

I think some Palestinians are salty that so much more value seems to be placed on the lives of Israelis. Like, where were the posters for Palestinians over the last 70 years? Why don't they put up posters in the street when Israel destroys an apartment building with a rocket? Why is that any less of a tragedy? Also, putting up missing persons posters in America for someone missing in Israel is nothing more than war propaganda. It serves no real purpose beyond riling people up.

I'm not condoning this behavior, just explaining their thought process. They 100% should not be ripping down the posters. It is a vile thing to do and is not helping their cause.

I'm very disappointed that America is not doing more to try to de-escalate this situation and is instead seemingly only interested in fanning the flames of war.

• Halal 1

3 minutes ago, ort said:

I'm very disappointed that America is not doing more to try to de-escalate this situation and is instead seemingly only interested in fanning the flames of war.

I'm not sure the US calling for a unilateral ceasefire will actually accomplish anything good in the long term for either the Israelis or Palestinians.  The only way the bloodshed stops at this point is for Hamas to capitulate and accept that Israel will occupy Gaza.

• Halal 1