~*US Federal Government Shutdown Watch - Fiscal Year 2024 Edition*~

From The Hill's Emily Brooks:

Rep. Don Bacon says if Jordan moves to another vote, “he's gonna probably lose another 10 votes.” Bacon is supportive of Joyce move to empower McHenry — or another GOP Speaker candidate. “We have great candidates that could win, I think 218 votes. This one had a lot of baggage.”

Some quality posts from the ResetERA thread:

Jordan should just claim he won and the voting was rigged. Be consistent.

Every time someone says Boehner's name in the House he eats an extra edible so he's having a pretty chill day today

If there is one thing Jordan knows, not taking no for an answer.

• Haha 1

From CNN's Melanie Zanona:

Some of Jim Jordan's opponents tell me they've been purposely staggering their "no" votes over multiple ballots -- a strategy designed to show Jordan's speakership opposition is only growing.

And that's why they tell me Jordan will bleed even more support on a third ballot

• Sicko 2
  • Sicko Sherman 1
  • Hype 1

12 minutes ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

I'm breaking my rule because FOR GOD'S SAKE, SOMEONE NOMINATE THIS MAN FOR SPEAKER!

You know... Since Dennis Hastert had the job for like 8 years and was a bit of a rapist... Santos wouldn't be the worst man who's also a Republican to have held the job

• True 1

NEWS: Jordan is going to announce he will NOT hold a third vote as speaker now.

He will get behind the plan to temporarily empower McHenry until Jan 3.

He will remain speaker designee.

He gets two months to strong-arm the holdouts into supporting him. I'm sure they're going to just love that over the year-end holiday season.

Of course, the Freedumb Caucus is "Big Mad" about this potential arrangement:

From Semafor's Joseph Zeballos-Roig:

It’s early, but hearing conservatives are “pissed” about Jordan reportedly getting behind broadening McHenry’s speaker powers thru Jan. 3.

House GOP aide says that the next conference meeting is about to “light up”

This proposal is facing strong opposition from both the Freedumb Caucus AND the GOP moderates.

The Freedumb Caucus is opposed because it would amount to a "coalition" government with the Democrats and represents a "unconstitutional elevation of power to an unelected Speaker" while the GOP moderates are opposed because they want Gym just to drop out entirely.

From a constitutional perspective, an empowered "Temporary Speaker" would have no place in the line of succession following the President and the VP.  The Freedumb Caucus is probably absolutely correct that the position is unconstitutional.

Per a Punchbowl News reporter:

GOP Rep Pat Fallon estimates that 2/3 of House Republicans will oppose the speaker pro tem resolution. 

Fallon is a “Hell no, Hades no!” on the resolution.

He wants a vote inside the Republican Conference on the resolution before coming to the floor.