New to Xbox

Biggie

I owned a 360 back in the day but lots has changed. Got a few questions. When I shut down console does it always stay in rest mode? I chose the option to completely shut down but when I check the app it says it’s in rest mode or stand by mode. Also I bought 1 month of GamePass ultimate. Does this include LIVE? Can I play Halo Infinite multiplayer? It’s very confusing. 

• Halal 1

14 minutes ago, Biggie said:

I owned a 360 back in the day but lots has changed. Got a few questions. When I shut down console does it always stay in rest mode? I chose the option to completely shut down but when I check the app it says it’s in rest mode or stand by mode. Also I bought 1 month of GamePass ultimate. Does this include LIVE? Can I play Halo Infinite multiplayer? It’s very confusing. 

Game Pass Ultimate includes Live and you'll be able to play Halo Infinite multiplayer.

There's a delay/bug between the console and the app so the app will say that the console is in rest/stand-by even though it's been shut down.

• Thanks 1

I don't have answers to your questions, but can agree that all of this is way to confusing now. I just bout a second Xbox and trying to get it set up so both of my kids can play is so much more frustrating than it should be. WHY THE FUCKING FUCK DO I NEED A NEW FUCKING ACCOUNT FOR EVERY FUCKING GAME THEY FUCKING WANT TO FUCKING PLAY? WHY DOES EA FUCKING SUCK SO MUCH? I ALREADY HAVE A FUCKING EA ACCOUNT. OK,  I'LL JUST MAKE A NEW FUCKING EA ACCOUNT...  OH THAT ONE DOESN'T WORK EITHER? WHY? WHY DOES THE INTERFACE ON FIFA SUCK SO BAD? WHO DESIGNS THIS SHIT? DRUNK GOBLINS ON METH? FUCK YOU EA. I HOPE SCORPIONS LAY EGGS IN THE PEE HOLES OF EVER EA EMPLOYEE AND SCORIONS EAT THEM FROM THE INSIDE OUT STARTING FROM THEIR PEE HOLES.

In my fucking day you went to the store, bought a fucking game, put it in the fucking machine and you played the fucking game. You didn't need 17 fucking accounts and logins to even do anything.

• Haha 2
  • Sicko 1
  • Hugs 1

3 minutes ago, ort said:

I don't have answers to your questions, but can agree that all of this is way to confusing now. I just bout a second Xbox and trying to get it set up so both of my kids can play is so much more frustrating than it should be. WHY THE FUCKING FUCK DO I NEED A NEW FUCKING ACCOUNT FOR EVERY FUCKING GAME THEY FUCKING WANT TO FUCKING PLAY? WHY DOES EA FUCKING SUCK SO MUCH? I HAVE A FUCKING EA ACCOUNT. I MADE A NEW FUCKING EA ACCOUNT? FUCK YOU EA. I HOPE SCORPIONS LAY EGGS IN THE PEE HOLES OF EVER EA EMPLOYEE AND SCORIONS EAT THEM FROM THE INSIDE OUT STARTING FROM THEIR PEE HOLES.

In my fucking day you went to the store, bought a fucking game, put it in the fucking machine and you played the fucking game. You didn't 17 fucking accounts and logins to even do anything.

I used the app on my phone to set up my console. It was very easy and it walked me thru it. Of course it was my only one so I assume it’s more difficult when you are trying to do it for multiple people. Ask D1P. Everyone is knowledgeable as hell. 

Settings - General - Power Options

You can set it to sleep (still says “turn off console” when shutting it off) or to fully shut it down. I’ve always had it sleep, but now that I’m looking at the settings, it says automatic updates work with the shutdown option, so maybe I’ll try that and see how that plays. Anyway, that might be what you’re seeing on the app, but that’s not something I’ve really used either.

16 minutes ago, TheLeon said:

Settings - General - Power Options

You can set it to sleep (still says “turn off console” when shutting it off) or to fully shut it down. I’ve always had it sleep, but now that I’m looking at the settings, it says automatic updates work with the shutdown option, so maybe I’ll try that and see how that plays. Anyway, that might be what you’re seeing on the app, but that’s not something I’ve really used either.

Wade said there is a delay between the console and Xbox app. 

1 minute ago, Biggie said:

The UI is confusing as shit lol. I thought it was just me cause I’m so used to Sony. 

Absolutely not just you, it sucks shit. Anytime I'm on my Switch or PS5 and think, "man this is a little clunky and could be organized better," then I log onto my Xbox... "BABY I DIDN'T MEAN THE THINGS I SAID! I FORGOT WHAT IT WAS LIKE ON THESE STREETS! MARIO KART 8 DELUXE 2 SOUNDS GREAT! CRASH BANDICOOT WAS GOOD ACTUALLY!"

• Haha 3

Maybe it's because I'm used to it but Xbox menus have always made the most sense to me.

As for your Game Pass Ultimate question. Ultimate includes game pass for console, PC and Xbox Live gold. However to play Halo Infinite multiplayer you don't need Xbox Live at all because it is considered a free to play game.

Honestly, for you a better value might be the console game pass which is 6 bucks cheaper, the catch, it doesn't come with gold. So if you were to play something like Forza you couldn't play it online. Just something to keep in mind. To me the biggest perk of ultimate is the PC game pass is included but seems wasted for someone who doesn't have a PC.

On the flip side if you start doing Microsoft Rewards and getting free game pass then it doesn't matter too much. :p

7 hours ago, Biggie said:

Wade said there is a delay between the console and Xbox app. 

And I wasn’t fully satisfied with that as an answer to your question. And I had never fully explored these power settings or the app, so I did some experimenting just now. There is a delay of a minute or two when turning the console on/off, but now I see that even if you choose the energy saving shutdown option, it will still show as “standby on” when you turn off the system. You can still use the app to turn the system on. It’s still basically a sleep mode. The only way I’ve seen “console off” in the app is by going back into the power settings and choosing “Shutdown now” which turns off the system completely, but even that seems inconsistent. 

tldr: app sux

• True 1

2 hours ago, TheLeon said:

And I wasn’t fully satisfied with that as an answer to your question. And I had never fully explored these power settings or the app, so I did some experimenting just now. There is a delay of a minute or two when turning the console on/off, but now I see that even if you choose the energy saving shutdown option, it will still show as “standby on” when you turn off the system. You can still use the app to turn the system on. It’s still basically a sleep mode. The only way I’ve seen “console off” in the app is by going back into the power settings and choosing “Shutdown now” which turns off the system completely, but even that seems inconsistent. 

tldr: app sux

Yeah I picked shut down completely and app shows it’s in stand by mode. 

3 hours ago, Biggie said:

Yeah I picked shut down completely and app shows it’s in stand by mode. 

I’ve never thought to look. I wonder if that’s because the “shut down” option is now just a more extreme energy saving standby. It’s supposed to still download system and game updates, even though it basically behaves like it comes up from a cold boot every time. Mine even has to reconnect to XBL, and I’m constantly needing to download game updates after the console is turned on. 

• Halal 1

Uhhh, the UI is totally fine and takes about 30 seconds to understand.  You can go into settings and set the console to completely shut off rather than remain in standby when you turn it off, which you will then do by holding the central Xbox button... and selecting shut off... just like the other consoles.  You should absolutely do this, as it conserves energy, and the console will still download things in this state.

Xbox had an absolutely incredible backwards compatibility program.  Tons of amazing games have been enhanced visually, and in some cases have had frame rates boosted/stabilized.  If you have an HDR capable television, I would go into settings and enable both HDR10 and Dolby Vision (the latter works and looks better).  Most older games have had auto-HDR applied, which offers a significant visual improvement from my experience.

The other thing you will notice is quick resume, which keeps games suspended so that you can hop between several at a time with only a few seconds of loading.  This is the best feature on any of the current consoles.

• Like 1
  • Halal 1

45 minutes ago, ShreddieMercury said:

Uhhh, the UI is totally fine and takes about 30 seconds to understand.  You can go into settings and set the console to completely shut off rather than remain in standby when you turn it off, which you will then do by holding the central Xbox button... and selecting shut off... just like the other consoles.  You should absolutely do this, as it conserves energy, and the console will still download things in this state.

I think that’s part of the confusion. It doesn’t completely turn off. You use that setting and it still shows your console in standby mode, because it’s still connected. 

• True 1

3 hours ago, ShreddieMercury said:

Xbox had an absolutely incredible backwards compatibility program.  Tons of amazing games have been enhanced visually, and in some cases have had frame rates boosted/stabilized.  If you have an HDR capable television, I would go into settings and enable both HDR10 and Dolby Vision (the latter works and looks better).  Most older games have had auto-HDR applied, which offers a significant visual improvement from my experience.

The other thing you will notice is quick resume, which keeps games suspended so that you can hop between several at a time with only a few seconds of loading.  This is the best feature on any of the current consoles.

Ok calm down Bill Gates

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, ShreddieMercury said:

Let’s calm down for just a second. The best feature on any of the current consoles is the ability to play Tears of the Kingdom.

• True 1
  • Sicko 1
  • Hype 1

9 hours ago, Biggie said:

Did anyone do the HDR Game Calibration? Is it worth it? I have a 55inch LG Oled. @best3444  @skillzdadirecta @JPDunks4 @Kal-El814 @Spawn_of_Apathy @Keyser_Soze @TheLeon

Yea. But both my Series X and PS5 did the HDR calibration basically for me. I had to go through different screens adjusting what I needed to change and I was finished. I don't know how to manually do it but I'm sure it isn't difficult. 

Just now, best3444 said:

Yea. But both my Series X and PS5 did the HDR calibration basically for me. I had to go through different screens adjusting what I needed to change and I was finished. I don't know how to manually do it but I'm sure it isn't difficult. 

Was the improvement noticeable?