New to Xbox

Biggie

10 hours ago, Biggie said:

Did anyone do the HDR Game Calibration? Is it worth it? I have a 55inch LG Oled. @best3444  @skillzdadirecta @JPDunks4 @Kal-El814 @Spawn_of_Apathy @Keyser_Soze @TheLeon

I did, though I don’t have an OLED, but I just wanted to make sure my white and black levels were tuned well. 

also check out your video modes under Tv & display > Advanced. You can set the max refresh rate, max resolution, variable refresh rate, HDR types, etc. So you can max out what your Tv supports. 

• Halal 1

Since you're on a budget I would try out MS rewards to get points for either giftcards for games or just to get Games Pass for free. There is a reddit page for it which is probably the fastest way to figure out how to max out your points. Waste a few minutes a day, get some free stuff. I have Games Pass through July 2026 with enough points to have it extended through the rest of 2026. Games Pass is pretty fucking sweet when you aren't even paying for it. 

The UI might suck, but Quick Resume and Smart Delivery are awesome, and as SM said, all the upgrades to BC games are nice too. A lot of your favorite last gen games probably have free 4k60fps support. 

• Thanks 1

I find quick resume to be hit and miss for some of the games I play. For example, Remnant 2 will not even load past the character select if I let it quick resume. It is a constant loop of loading the title screen, the character select, and then back again. I have to completely close the game out. Halo Infinite would never register you being online if you quick resume the game. Kind of annoying. 

1 hour ago, Spawn_of_Apathy said:

I find quick resume to be hit and miss for some of the games I play. For example, Remnant 2 will not even load past the character select if I let it quick resume. It is a constant loop of loading the title screen, the character select, and then back again. I have to completely close the game out. Halo Infinite would never register you being online if you quick resume the game. Kind of annoying. 

Yeah, I think it's good for games that don't require being online.

All games I've done it with work perfectly (Eiyuden Chronicles Rising, Tinykin, and Starfield) - On Tinykin I was kind of blown away, last time I played it was in March and then recently last month it was going off game pass so I finished it up. But I quick resumed from the quick resume from march and it was still there, so like 6 months and working like a charm.

9 hours ago, Spawn_of_Apathy said:

I did, though I don’t have an OLED, but I just wanted to make sure my white and black levels were tuned well. 

also check out your video modes under Tv & display > Advanced. You can set the max refresh rate, max resolution, variable refresh rate, HDR types, etc. So you can max out what your Tv supports. 

Ok I did the recalibration and it looks better than before. Also changed it from 60Hz to 120Hz. @best3444 did you change the refresh rate?

Just now, Biggie said:

Do I get the EA Play 10 hour free trials with GamePass Ultimate or is that a seperate thing?

I'm gunna say yes...not 100% sure. I played Madden 24 yesterday from something I could download and I could only do practice scenarios but it was fun. I was actually completing passes and running the ball pretty well. It looks great. 

Settings-> General-> TV & Display Settings-> Video Fidelity & Overscan: Change color depth to 10-bit.

Don’t bother with 12-bit for two reasons: 1.) games and media are almost always coded in 10-bit HDR or Dolby Vision (those that aren’t 10-bit are 8-bit), 2.) XSX’s HDMI port isn’t full speed 2.1 (neither is PS5’s) so it can’t always handle 12-bit color depth and if it exceeds bandwidth it drops everything to the lowest possible settings.

1 hour ago, Spork3245 said:

Settings-> General-> TV & Display Settings-> Video Fidelity & Overscan: Change color depth to 10-bit.

Don’t bother with 12-bit for two reasons: 1.) games and media are almost always coded in 10-bit HDR or Dolby Vision (those that aren’t 10-bit are 8-bit), 2.) XSX’s HDMI port isn’t full speed 2.1 (neither is PS5’s) so it can’t always handle 12-bit color depth and if it exceeds bandwidth it drops everything to the lowest possible settings.

I thought the Xbox cable was a full 2.1, 48Gps cable. The PS5 wasn’t at launch, it was only 40Gbps, but they’ve since gone with a 48Gbps cable too. Is that not the case? Everywhere I look online says they both a full HDMI 2.1. 

I know the big problem I have is I need an HDMI 2.1 switch and none I’ve found with any kind of IR or auto switching can handle a signal using the full 48Gbps. I’m not sure if it’s a voltage issue or not with power being drawn by the auto switching or the IR sensors, resulting in only being able to pass through 47 or less Gbps and so the screen goes black. Because when I unplug from switch and go directly into the Tv the image appears. 

18 minutes ago, Spawn_of_Apathy said:

I thought the Xbox cable was a full 2.1, 48Gps cable. The PS5 wasn’t at launch, it was only 40Gbps, but they’ve since gone with a 48Gbps cable too. Is that not the case? Everywhere I look online says they both a full HDMI 2.1. 

Look up the bandwidth, they're within spec of what qualifies as 2.1, however the XSX is only capable of around 40Gbps. Sony was 32Gbps at launch but was updated to about 38Gbps iirc.

8 minutes ago, Spork3245 said:

Look up the bandwidth, they're within spec of what qualifies as 2.1, however the XSX is only capable of around 40Gbps. Sony was 32Gbps at launch but was updated to about 38Gbps iirc.

explains why Sony thought they could get away with including a mere 2.0 HDMI cable at launch. that may be also why my Xbox warns me that while I can get Dolby Vision gaming, there may be input latency? Could also be why I see people complain that Dolby Atmos or at least some implementations of them have sync issues on Xbox. Or I don’t know, maybe all of that is unrelated.