'Blind Side' subject Oher alleges Tuohys made millions off lie

This is the least shocking turn of events in a Hollywood feel-good-story you’ll ever see

i?img=%2Fphoto%2F2023%2F0813%2Fr1210165_
WWW.ESPN.COM

In a 14-page court petition, the former NFL star alleges that Sean and Leigh Anne Tuohy never adopted him, instead tricking him into signing a document that gave them legal authority to make business...

• Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to 'Blind Side' subject Oher alleges Tuohys made millions of lie

It's not surprising to me that the Tuohys benefited so much from their actions, but it's a bit wild to me that they engineered it so that they all got paid and he didn't get anything. I would have guessed that they'd come up with some deal where they were the primary beneficiaries or where Oher otherwise got less than he deserved, but I didn't expect them to completely stiff him, if only for appearances sake.

It's also sad that his professional career was impacted by the film. NFL players other than Quarterbacks don't get enough credit for the mental side of the game, and it isn't hard to imagine why coaches might steer clear of a guy they thought dimwitted.

I hope he gets what he deserves and they get all the press they deserve.

• Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to 'Blind Side' subject Oher alleges Tuohys made millions off lie
50 minutes ago, TwinIon said:

It's not surprising to me that the Tuohys benefited so much from their actions, but it's a bit wild to me that they engineered it so that they all got paid and he didn't get anything. I would have guessed that they'd come up with some deal where they were the primary beneficiaries or where Oher otherwise got less than he deserved, but I didn't expect them to completely stiff him, if only for appearances sake.

It's also sad that his professional career was impacted by the film. NFL players other than Quarterbacks don't get enough credit for the mental side of the game, and it isn't hard to imagine why coaches might steer clear of a guy they thought dimwitted.

I hope he gets what he deserves and they get all the press they deserve.

I'm ignorant of this. How was his career impacted? He was drafted 23rd overall and played for 8 years or so. Pretty good for a lineman.

3 minutes ago, GeneticBlueprint said:

I'm ignorant of this. How was his career impacted? He was drafted 23rd overall and played for 8 years or so. Pretty good for a lineman.

Per the article:

For years, Oher has chafed at how "The Blind Side" depicted him, saying it hurt his football career and clouded how people view him. He has said that based on the film, some NFL decision-makers assumed he was mentally slow or lacked leadership skills.

"People look at me, and they take things away from me because of a movie," Oher told ESPN in 2015. "They don't really see the skills and the kind of player I am."

• Halal 1

53 minutes ago, GeneticBlueprint said:

I certainly feel for him. I'm sure it did cause people to treat him differently in a lot of respects. But you don't last eight years as a lineman if you're not good at it. Most last about half that long at best.

I think the issue is within football, Black players are viewed on a different scale when it comes to intelligence, and if even one team that would have been willing to pay you to play has a GM/Coach that doesn’t think you are smart enough to play a crucial position. That lack of extra competition for your services drives down your wages, so if his assessment of the impact is accurate, I definitely understand his feelings.

3 minutes ago, sblfilms said:

I think the issue is within football, Black players are viewed on a different scale when it comes to intelligence, and if even one team that would have been willing to pay you to play has a GM/Coach that doesn’t think you are smart enough to play a crucial position. That lack of extra competition for your services drives down your wages, so if his assessment of the impact is accurate, I definitely understand his feelings.

Doesn’t help that in addition to all that linemen also are not considered a “skill position” like wr or qb 

1 hour ago, sblfilms said:

The ol' argument every time there's a black quarterback and all the pundits spend 5 years debating the question: "But can he throw?'

22 minutes ago, Dre801 said:

It was yet another tropey, Hollywood "White Savior" film.  

Which is why I never saw it... and I LIKE Sandra Bullock.

GettyImages-507089106.jpg?w=1024
DEADLINE.COM

The family at the center of The Blind Side movie that took in Michael Oher as a young player has hit back on his legal claims.

Listening to Sean Jr. talk about it…I’m not entirely sure of whether Oher is correct in his assertions regarding the movie money. It seems there might be more Hollywood accounting at the center of this issue, as well as hurt feelings that just come up in families. Made me more sad than anything.

70605502007-230816-tuohy-press-conferenc
WWW.TENNESSEAN.COM

Each member of the Tuohy family – including Michael Oher – received $100,000 from the profits of “The Blind Side,” their lawyers said Wednesday.

It seems increasingly likely that the studio simply didn’t pay any of the subjects of the film much at all. Pretty typical of the way Hollywood studios protect profits with their creative accounting.

I’m guessing there was some other issue the precipitated the apparent falling out between Oher and the Tuohys, and somebody found out about the conservatorship and got in Oher’s ear about it.

Reading the complaint itself, money from the film is at the heart of the complaint. The next issue is him claiming the Tuohys enriched themselves on things like speaking gigs. I dunno man, ancillary characters in the lives of others get benefits like speaking engagements. I don’t think people generally have an issue with that, and it didn’t seem like Oher really did until…whatever happened to sour the relationship.

Interestingly in the complaint there is virtually nothing describing how the Tuohys harmed him via the conservatorship agreement itself.

Family drama is always sad and there are no winners

• 1 month later...