AMC Theatres Says More Than 20,000 Moviegoers Have Already Booked 'Barbie'-'Oppenheimer' Double Features

barbie-oppenheimer-Movies.jpg?w=1000&h=5
VARIETY.COM

Plenty of moviegoers are watching Christopher Nolan's atomic drama “Oppenheimer” and Greta Gerwig's colorful romp "Barbie" on the same day.

With two weeks to go until the big day, AMC Theatres, the world's largest cinema chain, is reporting that more than 20,000 AMC Stubs members have purchased tickets to see "Barbie" and "Oppenheimer" on the same day.

Though it was apparently significant enough for AMC to issue a press release, it's hard to contextualize the statistic because there aren't a lot of comparable data points for guests purchasing tickets to see multiple movies on the same day — at least not ones that are publicly available. Moreover, the total number of AMC Stubs members, which includes A-List, AMC Stubs Premiere and AMC Stubs Insider, is unclear. Adam Aron, the CEO of AMC, said in early 2020 there were between 900,000 and 1 million A-List subscribers, which starts at $19.95 per month.

Tom Cruise is one of them, unless he didn't book with AMC.

• Hype 1

23 minutes ago, Keyser_Soze said:

@Bacon will decide the appropriate use of spacer.png:|

:thumbup:

e:

Tho I'm not hyped about it.

My favorite use for hype is when bad things happen to bad people and then that news is reacted to with hype, but genuine hype is good too.

22 minutes ago, Spork3245 said:

Ngapa GIF

Two possible reasons: 

1. Two of the best directors currently working in Hollywood are dropping huge, highly anticipated movies that feature like 30 stars between them.

2. For teh memez 

I may or may not have taken the weekend off to do exactly this. 

• True 1

3 minutes ago, TheLeon said:

Two possible reasons: 

1. Two of the best directors currently working in Hollywood are dropping huge, highly anticipated movies that feature like 30 stars between them.

2. For teh memez 

I may or may not have taken the weekend off to do exactly this. 

I just don’t see both movies appealing to the same audience to the point where they’d want to spend 5-6 hours straight in a movie theater :p 

2 minutes ago, Spork3245 said:

I just don’t see both movies appealing to the same audience to the point where they’d want to spend 5-6 hours straight in a movie theater :p 

Arrested Development Tobias GIF

But you don’t watch them back to back, that’s a rookie mistake. See Oppenheimer in the mid-afternoon, walk around, get dinner and a drink or two somewhere, then see Barbie at a late show that hopefully isn’t crawling with small children. 

• Halal 1

1 hour ago, TheLeon said:

Arrested Development Tobias GIF

But you don’t watch them back to back, that’s a rookie mistake. See Oppenheimer in the mid-afternoon, walk around, get dinner and a drink or two somewhere, then see Barbie at a late show that hopefully isn’t crawling with small children. 

Awkward Bye Bye GIF

I wonder if studios will try to manufacture buzz by doubling down on release dates like this in the future...

Book your tickets to your Saw 12 / Bluey's Big Adventure double feature today!

This kinda reminds me of when a bunch of teenagers were all going to that Minions movie wearing suits. My dad took my younger one to this movie and was very confused because half the theater was filled with 17 year olds wearing suits and yelling at the screen.

I think eventually theaters started banning anyone in suits.

I'm one of them. Seeing Barbie in Dolby Cinema and then Oppenheimer in IMAX.

Barbie is either going to be The Lego Movie, making a great film out of a nothing premise, or it's going to be a Cats level disaster. I really like Gerwig as a writer and director and she's really swinging for the fences here, so I'm hopeful, but I'm certainly curious to see how it ends up.

Oppenheimer as a concept plays to Nolan's strengths, and I'm a sucker for his stuff, so it has a good chance of being one of my favorite films of the year.

It's going to be a good day.

3 minutes ago, skillzdadirecta said:

That is a strange double booking... I'm not mad at it though. Definitely going to see Openheimer. Barbie? Probably not :p

Maybe, though from what I've heard of early impressions of Oppenheimer, a light-hearted comedy might be required afterwards. :p

3 hours ago, best3444 said:

I'd see it in theaters if I had someone to go with. Seeing that alone as a man isn't too appealing. 

Are you meaning because you might be judged for seeing a Barbie movie as a dude? If so, screw that... Truly being a strong man is seeing the Barbie movie if you want. :rocking:

Being silly, of course, but it's true; it's more an indicator of strength, IMO, if you don't care about the ridiculous judgment of others. 

• Haha 1
  • True 1

• 2 weeks later...