So WTF, is Jamie Foxx going to die?

He went to the hospital for what sounded like a minor medical issue, at first. Then it sounded a little more serious with a 'minor stroke' and now my news feed is saying 'family and friends are praying for the best, but preparing for the worst'. It's been 4 weeks now and he's still hospitalized. Sounds pretty serious.

• Sad 2

On 5/10/2023 at 2:26 PM, Kamusha said:

Don't keep up with tabloid news - had no idea this was a thing. Doesn't seem like the nicest guy but he's undeniably a talented actor with movie star presence.

What makes you say that? I remember @NeoJoe sharing a story of him being very friendly, and gracious when he Foxx stayed at his hotel. 

3 hours ago, Brick said:

What makes you say that? I remember @NeoJoe sharing a story of him being very friendly, and gracious when he Foxx stayed at his hotel. 

Jamie Foxx was the host of the Emmitt Smith roast. Compared to the big names on the how relatively low comedian was bombing and instead of being a professional host and letting him bomb he interrupted the dude’s set so he could humiliate him in front of the audience. Like yes it is a roast, but it’s not normal for the host to interrupt someone’s set to mock them for bombing. I’ve talked to a lot of comedians who felt like he crossed a line. Maybe that’s not an accurate reflection of his character, but it‘s hard for me to not see him as an asshole after that.

13 hours ago, Kamusha said:

Jamie Foxx was the host of the Emmitt Smith roast. Compared to the big names on the how relatively low comedian was bombing and instead of being a professional host and letting him bomb he interrupted the dude’s set so he could humiliate him in front of the audience. Like yes it is a roast, but it’s not normal for the host to interrupt someone’s set to mock them for bombing. I’ve talked to a lot of comedians who felt like he crossed a line. Maybe that’s not an accurate reflection of his character, but it‘s hard for me to not see him as an asshole after that.

Yeahhhhh, tremendously talented guy but man that moment shaped my perception of him, fair or not. It just seemed so mean spirited, people thought it was really funny when it first came out but I always thought it was gross.

Holy shit, THIS is what has you guys thinking Foxx is an asshole? It was a roast and he was roasting another comedian... BLACK COMEDIANS DO THIS ALL THE TIME! My ex and partner is a stand up comic and she tells me all the time how brutal these guys are with each other ESPECIALLY when they bomb. Trust me that dude took that shit in stride and was ok. Comedians are assholes... news at 11. I thought you guys had some REAL tea on him. I've heard some stuff about Jamie, but nothing about him being a dick.  

• Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, skillzdadirecta said:

Holy shit, THIS is what has you guys thinking Foxx is an asshole? It was a roast and he was roasting another comedian... BLACK COMEDIANS DO THIS ALL THE TIME! My ex and partner is a stand up comic and she tells me all the time how brutal these guys are with each other ESPECIALLY when they bomb. Trust me that dude took that shit in stride and was ok. Comedians are assholes... news at 11. I thought you guys had some REAL tea on him. I've heard some stuff about Jamie, but nothing about him being a dick.  

I don’t like hate him or anything and will definitely watch movies with him in them, I even watched Day Shift. It just seemed like it was over a line, I mean I’ve seen Black comedians at roasts plenty, but never anything quite that level, and I think his status compared to the other guy also made it off putting. Something about it didn’t sit with me well, and it shaped my perception. I could believe he’s a fine person, and I definitely hope he’s okay, but I just never shook that impression. 

1 minute ago, stepee said:

I don’t like hate him or anything and will definitely watch movies with him in them, I even watched Day Shift. It just seemed like it was over a line, I mean I’ve seen Black comedians at roasts plenty, but never anything quite that level, and I think his status compared to the other guy also made it off putting. Something about it didn’t sit with me well, and it shaped my perception. I could believe he’s a fine person, and I definitely hope he’s okay, but I just never shook that impression. 

I have seen that shit happen all the time to comedians of all levels... I saw Kevin Hart do an impromptu set once clearly working out new material and he bombed. EVERY COMEDIAN that came up after him INCLUDING the host roasted him for the rest of the night. It comes with the territory. This guy was also going in on Mo'niqu MERCILESSLY who is a friend of Foxx' and was sitting right next to him with the fat jokes. Of course he's gonna defend her. 

10 minutes ago, skillzdadirecta said:

I have seen that shit happen all the time to comedians of all levels... I saw Kevin Hart do an impromptu set once clearly working out new material and he bombed. EVERY COMEDIAN that came up after him INCLUDING the host roasted him for the rest of the night. It comes with the territory. This guy was also going in on Mo'niqu MERCILESSLY who is a friend of Foxx' and was sitting right next to him with the fat jokes. Of course he's gonna defend her. 

That’s fair, like I said I don’t really hate him or anything, it just gave me a perception that I haven’t shaken yet.

48 minutes ago, skillzdadirecta said:

Holy shit, THIS is what has you guys thinking Foxx is an asshole? It was a roast and he was roasting another comedian... BLACK COMEDIANS DO THIS ALL THE TIME!

Sensitive white bois itt :p

(And yes I know kamusha doesn't identify as a "boi" I'm just using the expression)

8 minutes ago, skillzdadirecta said:

Yes we know how roasts work, but you have to wait your turn to get your roasts in. Hosts normally have their mics turned off during someone else's set but for some reason Jamie specifically requested to have his kept on. And ball busting is common in the comedy world but doing it in front of a televised audience is another thing. You claim that this is nothing but the fact that comedians still talk about this to this day shows that none of this was usual.

And no, he absolutely did not take it in stride. He was pretty much an unknown and this really hurt his career for a while. He says he's cool his Jamie now but whenever he talks about the incident you can tell he's still not over it. Again, this was not a normal incident like you are treating it as.

I have talked about this comedian and non comedian friends about this and non-comedians are less likely to understand why Jamie Foxx crossed a line. Fans of comedy tend to just assume anything goes in comedy but this is simply not true. There are spoken and unspoken guidelines to work within.

3 minutes ago, Kamusha said:

I have talked about this comedian and non comedian friends about this and non-comedians are less likely to understand why Jamie Foxx crossed a line.

My partner IS a stand up, a working stand up who tours regularly, and I just asked her about this... it's a non-issue. That dude bombed on the big stage and he took shots at Mo-nique, another comedy legend in the process. I don't know if THAT'S why his career stalled or whatever, but he bombed. Pure and simple. And DJ Vlad going on DJ Vlad's show of all things is not gonna help his case... Vlad is seen as something of a culture vulture who exploits shit for clicks. I don't have a problem with his show but I know that's how folks see it. But again, Foxx did nothing out of line in that clip.

41 minutes ago, skillzdadirecta said:

A couple of important differences there. I would assume that host waited until Kevin Hart's set was done before he roasted him for bombing.

Second, Kevin Hart is a high profile comedian so everyone was roasting him because a comedian bombing as accomplished as him is funny. And it's punching up. Jamie Foxx tearing apart a relatively unknown comic is punching down which tends to not be as funny for a lot of people. 

2 minutes ago, skillzdadirecta said:

My partner IS a stand up, a working stand up who tours regularly, and I just asked her about this... it's a non-issue. That dude bombed on the big stage and he took shots at Mo-nique, another comedy legend in the process. I don't know if THAT'S why his career stalled or whatever, but he bombed. Pure and simple. And DJ Vlad going on DJ Vlad's show of all things is not gonna help his case... Vlad is seen as something of a culture vulture who exploits shit for clicks. I don't have a problem with his show but I know that's how folks see it. But again, Foxx did nothing out of line in that clip.

I'm sorry but I'm the only comedian in this thread and if you want to continue making wrong assumption and mansplaining comedy then go right ahead. But you simply lack the context and understanding to continue talking down to me. I don't know why you get off on this. So you are close to one touring comedian so that makes you an expert? I am friends with plenty of touring comics. Does her opinion mean more than other comics who disagree. I don't pretend to know more about editing than you so don't know why you get feel like as a comedy fan you somehow know more than me.

It's a difference of perspective... that's all I'm pointing out. I'm not a comedian (I bombed terribly the first time I tried stand up and did ok the second time before deciding it wasn't for me) but I know plenty. One of my writing partners is currently a stand up and I've seen first hand how competitve and brutal these guys are with each other. I also know there's a definite heirarchy in comedy especially black comedy and I guarantee that dude going after Mo'nique the way he did did not go over well in that room and led to Foxx going after him they way he did. Mo'nique is seen is kind of black comedy royalty... not in my eyes but in a lot of black peoples'.

3 minutes ago, stepee said:

The obvious solution here is to have skillz’ and Kamusha’s comedian friends roast each other to determine the victor.

I don't need my comedian friends I am a comedian. But somehow I don't know what I'm talking about because fans of comedy tend to overestimate how much they know.

2 minutes ago, Kamusha said:

I'm sorry but I'm the only comedian in this thread and if you want to continue making wrong assumption and mansplaining comedy then go right ahead. But you simply lack the context and understanding to continue talking down to me. I don't know why you get off on this. So you are close to one touring comedian so that makes you an expert? I am friends with plenty of touring comics. Does her opinion mean more than other comics who disagree. I don't pretend to know more about editing than you so don't know why you get feel like as a comedy fan you somehow know more than me.

And I'm out :peace:

33 minutes ago, Keyser_Soze said:

Sensitive white bois itt :p

I don’t know anything about stand up comedy, but I do know things about Black culture…and I think there is a probably a disconnect there. Like, cuttin’ up even just with the family can get ROUGH 😂

Just now, sblfilms said:

I don’t know anything about stand up comedy, but I do know things about Black culture…and I think there is a probably a disconnect there. Like, cuttin’ up even just with the family can get ROUGH 😂

I don’t know anything about comedy either but I do know I’m a sensitive white boi

• Shocked 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, sblfilms said:

I don’t know anything about stand up comedy, but I do know things about Black culture…and I think there is a probably a disconnect there. Like, cuttin’ up even just with the family can get ROUGH

That's LITERALLY what I was trying to explain when i said it was a difference of perspective. Black family GATHERINGS can be rough forget about Black Comedy ROOMS. I know a little more about the subject than people in this topic think but it's not worth getting into a back and forth about. Life is too short and it's beautiful day here in scenic New Jersey :p

It's not about white vs black culture. It's not even about whether he was too brutal. I'm actually a big fan of 90's Def Jam It's about not understanding important distinctions such as:

- There's a huge difference between roasting someone after their set is over and interrupting someone while they are bombing. The later is considered heckling, and is a huge no-no in comedy.

- There's a major difference between punching up and punching down. Roasting Kevin Hart for bombing is so much different than Jamie Foxx heckling a low level comedian who's bombing.

It's really hard to have conversations about comedy with people who don't understand these two distinctions.

5 minutes ago, skillzdadirecta said:

Nope.

Dude you already claimed the guy took it in stride and I posted an interview showing he clearly didn't. You simply don't know how to take an L. You talk down to me so much I doubt you even realize when you're doing it.

16 minutes ago, skillzdadirecta said:

I guarantee that dude going after Mo'nique the way he did did not go over well in that room and led to Foxx going after him they way he did. Mo'nique is seen is kind of black comedy royalty... not in my eyes but in a lot of black peoples'.

This is super true. It reminds me, going back to the family dynamic that is common in Black culture, but like…my Aunt LeAnna probably could have been a comic in another life. Just natural story telling ability, perfect timing. She will give anybody and everybody the business.

Except Granny. There are those women who simply are off limits, and everybody instinctively knows it.

The outrage here is something very familiar to a lotta Black folks, which is when their cultural norms don’t fit nicely with the dominant culture, they are told they are being unprofessional. Black culture is finally getting some wins on things like protective hairstyles being welcomed even in white collar settings, but that is a change happening in my children’s lifetime. 

Like I said, I don’t know anything about stand up and what is “OK” there, but it’s another arena that is dominated by white people and it wouldn’t shock me if Black comedians read that situation really differently.