Double Dragon Gaiden: Rise of Dragons on PS5 and PS4

eventide11

This is coming to Xbox, switch, and pc as well, which is good as I play beat ‘em ups on handhelds.

I kind of audibly sighed when I saw the art style, it’s not what I want with Double Dragon. I always liked how Super looked and then how Neon capitalized on that, well, neon look.

Still not nearly as lame looking as the mid as fuck Double Dragon 4 (which is weirdly named as Super was DD4 and there is even a Double Dragon 5 already even if it was a fighting game) and as the trailer went on it actually looks pretty fun!

• True 1
  • Halal 1

2 minutes ago, stepee said:

I kind of audibly sighed when I saw the art style, it’s not what I want with Double Dragon. I always liked how Super looked and then how Neon capitalized on that, well, neon look.

I think it looks ok but the pixels are blurry, if they were nice crispy pixels I'd have no complaints.

2 hours ago, stepee said:

This is coming to Xbox, switch, and pc as well, which is good as I play beat ‘em ups on handhelds.

Still not nearly as lame looking as the mid as fuck Double Dragon 4 (which is weirdly named as Super was DD4 and there is even a Double Dragon 5 already even if it was a fighting game) and as the trailer went on it actually looks pretty fun!

I didn't want to be a negative Nancy on this one, but the art style doesn't connect with me either.

Entering this thread, I had really hoped that they had done something more akin to Double Dragon Neon (which I recognize that I liked more than the average person).

• Halal 2

4 minutes ago, AbsolutSurgen said:

I didn't want to be a negative Nancy on this one, but the art style doesn't connect with me either.

Entering this thread, I had really hoped that they had done something more akin to Double Dragon Neon (which I recognize that I liked more than the average person).

I think Neon has gone up in perception and that it’s more in line with what would actually get people excited if it was a modern Neon, but this does look fun at least.

Damn I was excited until I saw that it was done super deformed retro pixel style. Gameplay looks solid but why can't we get something more modern and cooler than this? Double Dragon was one of my all time favorites as a kid, long before Streetfighter, Final Fight and Streets of Rage came along. I'll probably get this, but I'll always wish for a big budget modern take on this game.

26 minutes ago, skillzdadirecta said:

Damn I was excited until I saw that it was done super deformed retro pixel style. Gameplay looks solid but why can't we get something more modern and cooler than this? Double Dragon was one of my all time favorites as a kid, long before Streetfighter, Final Fight and Streets of Rage came along. I'll probably get this, but I'll always wish for a big budget modern take on this game.

I think the closest we'll get to anything big budget that is the new Streets of Rage game or the turtles game. 

• Halal 1

• 2 months later...
  • 8 months later...
54 minutes ago, stepee said:

lol this came out?? I actually think it looks good I just had no idea. Good job bumping this while it’s on sale!

Oh hey step, this is out!:sun:  It’s pretty good too, I just beat it with my kid in co-op a few weeks back. 

• Hype 1

40 minutes ago, Mr.Vic20 said:

Oh hey step, this is out!:sun:  It’s pretty good too, I just beat it with my kid in co-op a few weeks back. 

Good to hear! I picked it up on the sale and also didn’t realize Neon was on pc so I got that too!

• Halal 1

This is great! I’m normally not a fan of rogue lite stuff and we will see how long four scenarios lasts before getting old but it makes sense for the genre. The game feels great to play and even playing on tv it looks good imo. It doesn’t really feel quite like it’s SD. It’s a weird style choice, I think it looks good, but I’m not sure exactly what’s Double Dragon about it. It’s like it’s visual style is an homage to some other DD competitor from the era.

So last night I decided to do a series deep dive as I love to do on deck and played some of every mainline Double Dragon game. That includes both Arcade and NES 1-3 as those are very different series. I would probably rank them as:

Super Double Dragon > Rise of Dragons > Neon > Advance > 4 > Arcade 3 > NES 2 > Arcade 1 > Neogeo Double Dragon > NES 1 >> NES 3 > Arcade 2 >>>> Double Dragon 5

This one might be better than Super, but I need to play more to see how the loop holds up. But it definitely plays better than any of the other games including Neon.

Double Dragon 5 is sooo bad. I forgot it’s based on the animated cartoon that had nothing to do with the games so it has these weird alien characters. I tried it on SNES but also the JAGUAR version and it’s just such a horrible fighting game. The Neogeo game by comparison is actually pretty good (has nothing to do with 5).

DD4, I almost beat it, and it was worth the $2. It’s not bad and plays better than most of the others. It just is needlessly ugly. The thing is it doesn’t even look as good as DD2/3 on nes. Maybe not even the first nes game. The MC is so low color, I hate it. But the game plays just fine.

DD2 Arcade is just annoyingly designed to get too many quarters. DD3 NES..kind of feels also designed to be unfairly punishing which is dumb since it’s on a console.

5 hours ago, stepee said:

Double Dragon 5 is sooo bad. I forgot it’s based on the animated cartoon that had nothing to do with the games so it has these weird alien characters. I tried it on SNES but also the JAGUAR version and it’s just such a horrible fighting game.

18 hours ago, stepee said:

So last night I decided to do a series deep dive as I love to do on deck and played some of every mainline Double Dragon game. That includes both Arcade and NES 1-3 as those are very different series. I would probably rank them as:

Super Double Dragon > Rise of Dragons > Neon > Advance > 4 > Arcade 3 > NES 2 > Arcade 1 > Neogeo Double Dragon > NES 1 >> NES 3 > Arcade 2 >>>> Double Dragon 5

This one might be better than Super, but I need to play more to see how the loop holds up. But it definitely plays better than any of the other games including Neon.

Double Dragon 5 is sooo bad. I forgot it’s based on the animated cartoon that had nothing to do with the games so it has these weird alien characters. I tried it on SNES but also the JAGUAR version and it’s just such a horrible fighting game. The Neogeo game by comparison is actually pretty good (has nothing to do with 5).

DD4, I almost beat it, and it was worth the $2. It’s not bad and plays better than most of the others. It just is needlessly ugly. The thing is it doesn’t even look as good as DD2/3 on nes. Maybe not even the first nes game. The MC is so low color, I hate it. But the game plays just fine.

DD2 Arcade is just annoyingly designed to get too many quarters. DD3 NES..kind of feels also designed to be unfairly punishing which is dumb since it’s on a console.

Don't forget about Abobo's Big Adventure 😬

• Shocked 1