There is no worse live music on earth than bad jazz

Fizzzzle

I saw this local jazz band tonight at the neighborhood bar. Whoever told them they should play in front of people were bad friends.

The drummer was playing at max forte the entire time. I couldn't even hear the guitar player but it seemed like he was having a good time. The saxophone player was just doing his own thing, seemingly. The last twenty minutes of the set was literally everyone doing a solo at the same time, none of them to do with each other.

I've heard some awful punk and hardcore bands in my time, but at least they're supposed to sound bad - that's kind of the point. There's a unity in their awfulness.

This is just... Bad. 

I'm reasonably certain the drummer stopped giving a shit about what anyone else was doing an hour ago.

• Haha 1

12 hours ago, Keyser_Soze said:

This is good jazz. Even the most adamant hater would enjoy it (not biggie though)

Not bad, but sounds just like a Dave Matthews Band live jam that turns a hit 6min song of theirs into a 13min song. Some have been great, some good, and I’ve been there when I just wanted a new song already. Anyways this comes off as more folksy to me in the sound (a sound which I like) with a touch of jazz thrown in. I think the guitar/banjo like string sound makes it folksy. Give me more of that brass/drum and double bass, for what I consider a more classic jazz sound. 

2 hours ago, Brick said:

I don't know, you ever hear country? That's pretty bad. 

I mean, cringe-worthy sometimes? sure.

I just watched this today and holy fuck is it just... all the things

But it's still not "bad" in the sense that it's unpleasant to listen to. It's just cringy in the "God, Guns, Doritos" kind of way, but I wouldnt revolt if this was played while I'm shopping for groceries.

2 hours ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

Or Johnny Cash.

I always justified my love of Johnny Cash and maintained my blanket hatred of country by calling Cash rockabilly. :p

Mostly kidding, but... I did also grow up listening to Patsy Cline, Willie Nelson, etc. because of my parents, so.... Yeah I'll begrudgingly admit it's not all bad. :p

3 hours ago, thewhyteboar said:

The “I’ve got a big truck and a boner for America” style of country music is fucking awful. But it’s not all bad. Listen to some Kris Kristofferson. 

2 hours ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

Or Johnny Cash.

These are the exceptions. Hurt (better than the NIN original!) and God's Gonna Cut You Down are classics.

5 hours ago, unogueen said:

Country is where bass and beats go to die.

That is objectively wrong.

I'm not a big country fan, but anyone who dismisses country music outright immediately comes off as elitist and gatekeep-y

There is nothing wrong with making music that has mass appeal. Why is making music for millions of people who couldn't tell you what a time signature is somehow less worthy than anything else?

I get annoyed by the idea that complexity in music means it's better. I'm a fan of Between the Buried and Me, but ask me if I would rather listen to them or Toby Keith while in the car with my girlfriend, I'm picking Toby Keith every time. I don't always want 14 time changes and 7 key changes in a song. I don't always want a song to be a concerto. Sometimes I want to listen to Despacito. 

To me, Justin Bieber and Tool are both equally valid. Stop dismissing music outright because you think you're too cool for it and you'll find that you'll enjoy a lot more music than you thought you would.

2 minutes ago, unogueen said:

No one fucks to country unless you're - lives matter.

1) who cares what you fuck to

2) that isn't true

Country music all uses pretty much the same key and doesn't even deviate on tempo much, but that doesn't mean it's less valid as music. Millions of people love it.