Immortals of Aveum - update: Ascendant Studios has laid off nearly 50% of its staff

Commissar SFLUFAN

Game Information
Game Title: Immortals of Aveum

Platforms:

• Xbox Series X/S (Aug 22, 2023)
  • PlayStation 5 (Aug 22, 2023)
  • PC (Aug 22, 2023)

Developer: Ascendant Studios
Publisher: Electronic Arts

Review Aggregator:

OpenCritic - 74 average - 58% recommended

Critic Reviews

Spoiler

CGMagazine - Philip Watson - 9 / 10

Immortals of Aveum is a must-play title for all fans of FPS and story-driven content but may isolate those unfamiliar with the genre.

Hey Poor Player - 4.5 / 5

With its supernatural shootouts, some may dismiss Immortals of Aveum as Call of Duty with magic, but it’s so much more than that. It has the mechanics to spice up combat in all the right ways, even if it’s a bit of a learning curve, and battles can get very hectic because of how much there is to keep track of. A slight misstep in the prologue is easily forgotten about when you watch the rest of the story unfold, skillfully dodging the usual military-esque tropes that tend to follow a genre like this, instead giving us solidly built and enjoyable characters to flesh out a damn fine world-building suite. If a mystical boomer shooter sounds like a magical time, Immortals of Aveum is sure to leave you under its spell.

Hobby Consolas - Daniel Quesada - Spanish - 90 / 100

Chapeau for EA for sponsoring a game that brings its own ideas and does so with good billing. It is a large, dynamic and increasingly attractive shooter, although some facets seem more "template".

PlayStation LifeStyle - Michael Leri - 9 / 10

Even with inconsistent visuals, Immortals of Aveum is an enrapturing experience. Its combat gives players a stunning amount of choices and emboldens them to become the ultimate murderous magnus. The narrative doesn’t give into the most bland fantasy clichés, either, and instead tells a well-constructed tale with flawed characters that are given the space to grow. It’s a magical first effort from Ascendant that has set the stage to grow into a spellbinding series.

Press Start - James Mitchell - 9 / 10

Immortals of Aveum is a steadfast debut that will assuredly put its creators on the map. It combines strong combat mechanics with an engaging story set in an even more engrossing world to offer up a satisfying and complete experience. While the gear system and some console resolution issues might be off-putting for some, Immortals of Aveum is one of the most pleasant surprises in an already burgeoning year and a spellbinding adventure that's well worth your time.

XboxEra - Aarsal Masoodi - 8.8 / 10

Immortals of Aveum is a fantastic game that I’d recommend to just about anyone, especially those hungry for a different take on some familiar formulas.

COGconnected - James Paley - 85 / 100

I had a ton of fun with Immortals. The combat is snappy, explosive, and smooth. Everything looks amazing, just a colossal colorful assault on the senses at every turn. The puzzles are a pleasant distraction. The writing has its ups and downs, to be sure, but the story itself is a proper ride. I truly can’t get enough of the word Everwar. I could have used a bit less quipping in the dialogue, however. While the combat occasionally got frustrating, it’s nothing a little practice (and difficulty adjustment) can’t fix. Traversal is a good time, even if the dodge cooldown feels excessive. If your first-person shooters have felt too serious lately, take heart! Immortals of Aveum is a magic-soaked, colorful romp that grips hard and doesn’t let go.

Checkpoint Gaming - Luke Mitchell - 8.5 / 10

Immortals of Aveum boldly attempts to deliver an epic cinematic experience about a war involving magic, and it succeeds in its ambition. Fast-paced combat that places the game firmly in the shooter genre combine with satisfying platforming and puzzle-solving to make for an adventure that stays focused on its linear story while offering extra secrets for those who want to explore beyond its core narrative. There's some repetition here and there that can be frustrating, but when you're blasting colourful magic spells across battlefields of enemies like a violent fireworks display, it's hard not to be impressed. Visually stunning with an excellently committed cast, Immortals of Aveum is a satisfying adventure and an impressive debut from a studio clearly not afraid to defy expectations.

Gaming Nexus - Jason Dailey - 8.5 / 10

EA was smart to snatch up the rights to Immortals of Aveum. It's an impressive debut from Ascendant Studio, featuring a refreshing take on FPS combat, a great fantasy story with loads of interesting lore, and an endearing cast of characters. Bottom line – I can't wait to see what Ascendant does next.

GamingTrend - Cassie Peterson - 85 / 100

Immortals of Aveum is a bright and ambitious title that lays a solid foundation for Ascendant Studios' future in the industry. The gameplay is solid, the world is beautiful, and I feel compelled to return to continue exploring.

WellPlayed - Nathan Hennessy - 8.5 / 10

Immortals of Aveum is an enchanting battlemage adventure and a satisfying spell-shooter in a breathtaking world filled with annoying personalities.

The Games Machine - Daniele Cucchiarelli - Italian - 8.2 / 10

A fantasy FPS not the most original in storytelling and themes but still fun, moderately challenging and technically appreciable. The combat system based on the use of three different types of magic and a decent variety of customization make for a solid and well-balanced experience.

Dexerto - Brad Norton - 4 / 5

For a first outing, Ascendant Studios has hit a home run. The team has established an incredible foundation for a universe we only hope we can continue exploring for years to come.

Entertainment Geekly - Luis Alvaro - 4 / 5

"Immortals of Aveum" is an audacious and successful foray that reinvigorates the FPS genre. It strikes a harmonious chord between innovation and tradition, crafting a game that respects every hour of your time.

GGRecon - Jack Roberts - 4 / 5

Immortals of Aveum, in many ways, is a game about ambition. From its development as a new IP during the pandemic, to the overarching goals of the heroes and villains respectively. In its ambition, it has created a first-person magical shooter that looks and feels like everything it set out to achieve in forging its own identity.

However, in its attempt to create a bold new world, it also sometimes falters under the weight of that same ambition. This results in some convoluted concepts that don’t quite hit all the right notes and narrative pacing that tries to cram in too much all at once.

Game Informer - Wesley LeBlanc - 8 / 10

Delivering something different and unique in a genre clogged with games set in real-world wars and battles, or at least meant to emulate them, is a commendable effort and pays off here for Ascendant. Immortals of Aveum is a great first outing, mixing the fantasy genre’s vibes, storytelling, and world exploration with the gunplay of a modern shooter.

GamePro - Annika Bavendiek - German - 80 / 100

Immortals of Aveum brings a breath of fresh air to the FPS genre with its peculiarities. Just right for fun solo action in between.

Gameffine - Uphar Dutta - 80 / 100

Immortals of Aveum is a work of art and truly reflects the ideas and love the game has been made with. The FPS magical shooter may have a worrying start, but that quickly turns into excitement, followed by a crucial turn of events, keeping you hooked. The combat and enemy variety grows as your progress, controlling the flow of combat enjoyable throughout. Topped with excellent voiceovers from talented artists and a brilliant hip-hop-styled ambience, Immortals of Aveum was a big box of surprises for us.

GamesHub - Edmond Tran - 4 / 5

What you want out of a blockbuster is a chance to go with the flow, let yourself get pushed to the edge of your seat for a few hours, and walk out with your blood pressure up a notch and a smile on your face. Immortals of Aveum does all that very well.

IGN - Luke Reilly - 8 / 10

Immortals of Aveum is an impressively confident first-person shooter with a hearty solo campaign and fast-paced, spellcasting combat that’s spectacular to watch.

IGN Italy - Angelo Bianco - Italian - 8 / 10

In some ways, Immortals of Aveum can be seen as a wasted opportunity to give shooter fans a memorable experience with an outstanding graphics. Instead, Ascendant Studios' debut game turned out to be just a good first-person shooter that entertains without being boring, thanks to a surprising RPG component and gameplay that excellently does its job of entertaining players. In addition to a decent story and a not particularly long campaign, Immortals of Aveum also has to contend with a less-than-stable frame-rate and other flaws that do not allow it to be one of the best shooters of the last years.

IGN Spain - Mario Seijas - Spanish - 8 / 10

Immortals of Aveum borrows a lot from other genres and brings us a frenetic first-person experience full of explosions, lights and color. It spices it all up with a surprisingly complex story for its genre and an exhilarating difficulty that invites you to continuously vary your combat style.

Niche Gamer - Jonathan White - 8 / 10

It isn’t the biggest or the best game I’ve played all year, but Immortals of Aveum has been one of the most fun experiences I’ve had. If I had any real complaints, it’s that the story continually urges the player forward without any assurance that you’ll have time to explore later.

Oyungezer Online - Onur Kaya - Turkish - 8 / 10

A nice surprise with enjoyable battles, a well-presented story and good graphics.

PSX Brasil - Marco Aurélio Couto - Portuguese - 80 / 100

Immortals of Aveum gets it right by bringing a new experience to the genre of first-person shooters. It has a fast combat, is full of good ideas and options. If your intention is to take control and destroy your enemies with powerful spells, I would say that Immortals of Aveum can guarantee good times.

Stevivor - Steve Wright - 8 / 10

This is Doom, mixed with Destiny, mixed with Control… and the result is pretty magical.

Atomix - Aldo López - Spanish - 78 / 100

Ascendant Studios made a good first try with this game, which if you manage to dominate in combat can be entertaining for the user, especially with the amount of magic available. Of course, I would not recommend it to everyone, since some technical and repetition aspects may not be completely pleasing, especially those who do not have patience.

GAMES.CH - Olaf Bleich - German - 78%

"Immortals of Aveum" surprised us positively for long stretches, but above all it entertained us very well. Despite obvious weaknesses, such as the overall boring game world and the story, which is too much based on fantasy clichés, the first-person adventure always brought us back to the action. The fights are very varied thanks to the wide range of magic possibilities and, despite all the speed, also offer a good deal of complexity and tactics. The controls prove to be first-class during battles or even exploration of the environment. And even though "Immortals of Aveum" would certainly have been more possible in terms of story and game world, the game still delivers over 20 hours of good shooter entertainment.

Spaziogames - Nicolò Bicego - Italian - 7.7 / 10

The use of magic in a shooter is interesting indeed, even if the game lacks that little something that could have made it a journey to remember.

Gamepur - Zack Palm - 7.5 / 10

Immortals of Aveum is a solid game with plenty of heart. The magic powers and build diversity genuinely turn it into a fantastic experience, and one I want to return to for more, coming up with a unique way to use power or how to best complement everything. I wanted to enjoy the central plot more, but I never quite felt gripped by the arching dangers to become invested in it, especially alongside Jak.

There’s a lot of promise with Immortals of Aveum and the magic system Ascendant Studios brought to life. I can’t wait to try flinging more magic soon and see what other unique combinations I can craft and use against my foes.

Nexus Hub - Ryan Pretorius - 7.5 / 10

Immortals of Aveum, while not exactly doing anything revolutionary in the grand scheme of things, is still a good time. The original setting, core gameplay, and solid combat mechanics are the true stars here, outshining the few issues threatening to put a damper on the overall experience.

Daily Star - Tom Hutchison - 3.5 / 5

Gamers should enjoy its change of pace and it’s a shame there was no attempt at a multiplayer as I suspect that’d be this game’s shining mode.

Digital Trends - Tomas Franzese - 3.5 / 5

I went into Immortals of Aveum expecting a linear experience akin to Call of Duty but found a game with unexpectedly vast levels, a world rich with intriguing lore, and vibrant combat that kept me on my toes. It’s a solid choice for those looking for an inventive shooter that stands out from the crowd in that genre, although boring puzzles and cloying dialogue drain some magic out of the experience.

GRYOnline.pl - Paweł Musiolik - Polish - 7 / 10

Immortals of Aveum is a perfect game for a subscription service. It has its flaws, but most of them can be easily eliminated in the future. However, I can't shake the feeling that this game has been left for dead even though it is really cool.

Gamepressure - Giancarlo Saldana - 7 / 10

As it is, Immortals of Aveum is fun but short-lived and doesn’t offer anything that hasn’t been done before. It’s not perfect nor is it bad, but like its protagonist, the game is more of a jack of all trades than a master of one.

Gamers Heroes - Blaine Smith - 70 / 100

Immortals of Aveum is a worthwhile and interesting spin on a genre that is renowned for its lack of drive and innovation. It features an engaging and rewarding combat system backed up by an excellent narrative in a fleshed out and immersive fantasy setting that wouldn’t feel at all out of place in a Netflix show.

Merlin'in Kazanı - Samet Basri Taşlı - Turkish - 70 / 100

Immortals of Aveum is a very entertaining FPS game that is overshadowed by high system requirements, design problems and bugs. Those who want a decent FPS game with a good story and DOOM/Bulletstorm style gameplay should not miss it.

Shacknews - Ozzie Mejia - 7 / 10

As far as first tries go, there's plenty to admire with Ascendant Studios' debut effort. Immortals of Aveum offers something to build on, both in terms of its own lore and for this up-and-coming studio as a whole.

TechRaptor - Tyler Chancey - 7 / 10

Both ambitious and novel, Immortals of Aveum is a solid first-person action experience, hampered by several minor issues and a narrative that fails to emotionally connect.

TheSixthAxis - Aran Suddi - 7 / 10

Immortals of Aveum is the epitome of a good game. The characters are well-acted and the world design is fantastic. The story though feels too safe and there's no real wow moment. While the combat is fun too, you'll have seen the majority of enemy types quite early on, and combat does become repetitive.

Worth Playing - Chris "Atom" DeAngelus - 7 / 10

Immortals of Aveum isn't a terrible game, but it is an incredibly forgettable one. Everything it does feels like a paint-by-numbers scenario, and it doesn't feel like it captures any sense of wonder. The annoying quipping dialogue drags you out of the world, and without that, you're left with a solid, if entirely unexceptional, magic-themed FPS. There's not much to recommend Immortals beyond giving you gun-themed magic instead of guns. I could see it perhaps finding an audience once its price point is lower, but most people will probably want to wait and see - or at least watch some videos of Jak's quips and see how tolerable they find it.

PC Gamer - Abbie Stone - 68 / 100

Immortals of Aveum tells a dull tale in an extremely irritating way, but at least has some fun, engaging shooting. I just wish it had a few ideas of its own.

Wccftech - Nathan Birch - 6.5 / 10

Immortals of Aveum makes a solid early impression with engaging magic-infused FPS action and eye-catching Unreal Engine 5 visuals, but a predictable plot, irritating characters, and repetitive, by-the-books level design dims the game’s razzle-dazzle. Immortals of Aveum will be worth it for some shooter and fantasy fans, particularly at a discount, but don’t expect your memories of the game to live forever.

Eurogamer.pt - Adolfo Soares - Portuguese - 3 / 5

Immortals of Aveum is a conjunction of excellent ideas, from its narrative with hints of humor, which amuses and moves in the final stretch, through a gameplay with good mechanics and a huge abundance of playable options. A bit slow in developments in the initial phase, but that accelerates to a positivity of final events that captivated me. Were it not for this final acceleration in which it highlights what is good here, we would be facing a work with only a few good ideas. It was about 16 hours of gameplay, including explorations beyond the main narrative. Perhaps a sequel can finally tap into its full potential.

Gameblog - KiKiToes - French - 6 / 10

Immortals of Aveum, by virtue of its story, has obvious appeal. It's the game of a lifetime for a developer who knows what he's talking about, the raison d'être of a brand new studio, an independent AAA that isn't really one... For the gamer, it's a very edgy FPS that's off the beaten track while still offering a familiar feel. Ascend Studio's title makes for a great time if you put aside its obvious technical problems, which unfortunately do it a bit of a disservice. But the fact remains that Immortals of Aveum has a lot going for it. There's a rich universe to discover, a whole world to explore, and some nerve-wracking if slightly chaotic combat... It's a shame that the technical side isn't always up to scratch on the PS5, because this would be a more than solid magical FPS, but as it stands it's sorely lacking in polish. But that doesn't mean it's a failure, just a date that could have gone a little better, but that we enjoyed nonetheless.

GamesRadar+ - Rick Lane - 3 / 5

Immortals of Aveum puts a fun twist on FPS conventions, and delivers upon its promise of colorful, exciting magical combat. But the story and worldbuilding are undermined by a cringeworthy script, and the half-baked loot system and metroidvania elements betray a lack of confidence in the central premise.

Hardcore Gamer - Jordan Helm - 3 / 5

Less a case of biting off more than it can chew, Immortals of Aveum instead serves up a mixed bag of notable creativity, dragged down by issues both narrative and technical alike.

Push Square - Stephen Tailby - 6 / 10

Immortals of Aveum presents us with an interesting new fantasy universe in which magic replaces bullets, but in practice it doesn't quite hit the mark. Despite solid fundamental action, combat can quickly become difficult to read, devolving into a dizzying swirl of colourful effects. Solid presentation and performance lead to some visually arresting scenes, even if the story isn't particularly memorable. It's a good first effort from Ascendant Studios, and the potential is absolutely there, but there's a feeling that the team bit off a little more than it could chew.

VG247 - Connor Makar - 3 / 5

If you buy Immortals of Aveum, know that there is a good time here waiting for you. However, I deem it likely that it'll be on sale rather soon. If you're starving for some magic in your FPS pick it up, but even with some mystical flair and an admirable attempt at bringing mystic arts to a very gun-heavy genre, Immortals of Aveum ultimately fails to reach the heights of your Bulletstorms or Wolfenstiens.

GameSpot - Jordan Ramée - 5 / 10

The first-person shooter action of Immortals of Aveum suffers from a difficult-to-navigate control scheme and lackluster story.

Metro GameCentral - Adam Starkey - 5 / 10

An ambitious magic-themed shooter which, despite its impressive, flashy combat, buckles under the weight of its influences and slapdash execution.

Eurogamer - Chris Tapsell - 2 / 5

Mixing repetitive, imprecise combat with annoying characters and a landslide of nonsensical, proper noun-stuffed lore, Immortals of Aveum is almost so bad it's good. If only.

ACG - Jeremy Penter - Wait for Sale

"Some fun here and there, runs better than I expected and that smoothness helps it, but the game just isn't that enjoyable as you continue to play. It just sort of falls apart until its so rote that it feels more mechanical than many others"

Console Creatures - Bobby Pashalidis - Recommended

Immortals of Aveum is a great first outing for Ascendant Studios, combining first-person, magic, and fantasy.

Gaming Age - Matthew Pollesel - A-

The fact that Immortals of Aveum is a lot of fun to play will also make you want to invest your time (and money) in it. It may not be the most original game I’ve ever played, but when it’s this enjoyable, I’m okay with that.

One More Game - Vincent Ternida - Buy

Immortals of Aveum is a fun time despite its inconsistent story and dialogue. Personal feelings about the story may vary, but it doesn’t change the fact that Ascendant Studios delivered a well-crafted shooter that sidesteps the norm and provides us with something new and exciting thanks to its magic systems and well-implemented shooting. If you’re able to forgive the story bits, Immortals of Aveum can provide a frenetic next-gen experience that showcases fantastic visuals and engaging combat systems that end with a satisfying conclusion.

Polygon - Ian Walker - Unscored

Immortals of Aveum should be applauded for trying something unique and exciting. It’s not every day that a studio attempts to aesthetically reinvent the first-person shooter genre with its debut game, and it’s clear the folks at Ascendant Studios tried their damndest to make the “Call of Duty but with magic” concept work. But for all its overwhelming visual splendor and adherence to modern conventions like skill trees and stat-boosting equipment, Immortals of Aveum is just as soulless as the military shooters from which it takes inspiration. It’s a paint-by-numbers buffet of contemporary tropes, and even when regarded against the full scope of creative and moral bankruptcy in the AAA space, it somehow still manages to fade into the scenery.

Rock, Paper, Shotgun - Alice Bell - Unscored

Immortals Of Aveum lacks focus, and the magical shooting is more chaotic and less punchy than I'd like, but it hits fun often enough for me to respect the big fantasy swings it takes.

Skill Up - Ralph Panebianco - Unscored

Video Review - Quote not available

Vamers - Edward Swardt - No Recommendation

Immortals of Aveum exists in the intricate intersection of contemporary FPS dynamics. Nestled between the resurgence of high-octane “boomer shooters” and the expansive, narrative-driven FPS realm, the game endeavours to harmonise adrenaline-fueled gameplay with storytelling depth. Jak’s journey as an Immortal and Triarch Magnus in a world consumed by perpetual warfare is undoubtedly intriguing, but execution ultimately falters. While his backstory possesses depth, his often-clichéd dialogue detracts from his impact. Thankfully, the stellar cast and animation imbue the world with life, yet occasional shortcomings dampen its immersive potential. Sadly, one cannot even fall back to the gameplay, where mechanics may be solid and magical elements introduce variety, simply because they feel more like reimagined weapons than unique features. While the introduction of Furies adds excitement, they also expose limitations in resource management ultimately resulting in repetitive combat. In the realm of FPS gaming, Immortals of Aveum aspires to weave a complex narrative within dynamic action, reflecting the inherent challenge of this genre fusion. Armed with strong ideas, a captivating world, and commendable performances, Immortals of Aveum falls short due to too many flaws. There is so much potential on offer, but it ultimately falls short; turning a good game into an average experience.

Oh this isn’t what I thought it would be actually. I thkufht it was going to be more like Doom 2016 but Hexen with a self serious medieval vibe.

It’s actually way more star wars than I thought and the game seems like the kind of 360 era linear story based game I love. More Bulletstorm than Doom. 

Had to restart the frame gen. option a few times on level loads because it starts glitching but other than that maxed out on my laptop dlss performance it’s mostly 100+fps

Gorgeous game but the outside areas are much more impressive looking than the city environments so I’m waiting to get into more of those. The cinemas running in real time are pretty mind blowing.

• Halal 1

• Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to Immortals of Aveum (PS5/Xbox Series/PC) - a UE5/single-player/first-person magic "caster" from Ascendant Studios (former CoD devs) and EA Originals, update: reviews from OpenCritic posted

I’ll definitely be yelling at everyone to buy it once it does I’m pretty sure. Has a lot of charm imo. The tone and story and characters are so much more than I expected. I guess the biggest issue is if you don’t have a 4000 series card then it probably isn’t quite as nice of an experience. And they need to fix frame gen so it’s not breaking and making me fix it every level and sometimes at other loading points. I think they said a fix is coming tho.

7 hours ago, Spork3245 said:

From my experience the frame gen isn’t as bad as they say as much as it’s broken (there will be random extra ghosting at new level loads and you need to turn it off and on) but the gui part is always like that, the waypoints, crosshairs, other hud elements always leave a trail. I believe they acknowledged it and said they will fix it but strange to launch with something so obvious in the first place.

I don’t quite agree with reviews saying it’s COD with magic, not that that even sounds bad to me, and I get that with some of the set pieces and the linear nature. But there’s a bit more exploring, looting, conversing, and then the combat itself just doesn’t play anything like it. Seems like a lazy way to describe the linear 360era fps action games. If I were to compare it to any game it would probably be The Darkness 2.

• Halal 2

Hopefully it’ll be added by the time people buy this for cheaper but the auto hdr reshade plugin works quite well here.

This, btw, has no hdr on any platform. In fact, ps5 did have it, but they removed it in the day1 patch. Very very strange for a graphic showcase tech demo game involving lots of bright magic particles.

The combat in this IS very mediocre. It doesn’t have a super solid feel to it, it’s flimsier than say, forspoken. It’s almost like the Hogwarts Legacy magic in first person but you are more mobile than in that at least. A double jump and some light platforming keeps the moment to moment more fun for me than it otherwise would be.

The strange world, which I actually find to be quite unique in its particular mix of high fantasy and sci fi, the graphics, and the story are definitely the reason to play this one. The rest is just serviceable.

I think the world is surprisingly well done for the first entry of a franchise from a brand new team. I think it’s worth people checking it out on a sale for that. If you want a good meaty gameplay loop, look elsewhere. It’s a shame actually that this is surely bombing hard and will be the end of this universe they built.

Edit: I think they do themselves no favors by giving you the three types of magic all at once. Normally I prefer starting with more options but there just aren’t enough other tricks to keep the combat fresh. If they built it around one type then expanded from there I think the combat could have felt less repetitive throughout. 

• Halal 1

32 minutes ago, crispy4000 said:

Wait this is 720p60 on consoles?  Then FSR2 upscalled?

Yikes.  I knew it could be bad, but this is shocking.  UE5 tech isn’t ready for prime time on consoles.

Series S is less than 480p lol

Series S is also downgraded to hell and back to hit that 436p. FSR2 is not built for that low of an internal res. I don’t even count ultra performance dlss to be a real option to play a game and that’s substantially better than fsr2 in ultra performance mode. They need to find a better compromise and keep the internal at least at 1080p or go 30fps.

Some people still over here wondering why we could ever need pro consoles too lol

• Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to Immortals of Aveum (PS5/Xbox Series/PC) - update: reviews from OpenCritic posted

The Digital Foundry text article for those who'd rather read than watch:

Aveum-Site.jpg?width=1200&height=600&fit
WWW.EUROGAMER.NET

After five years of development, Immortals of Aveum has landed, with the distinction of being the first non-Epic game t…

All of which brings us to Immortal's first - and most obvious - drawback: image quality. Despite UE5 realising the team's often eye-catching art direction, the game isn't always flattered by its scaling method. PS5 and Series X target 4K using AMD's FSR 2.1 temporal upscaling. The base resolution this is scaling from though is a much lower figure - at 1280x720 on each. Every shot tested so far comes in at 720p - on camera cuts in cinematics, or at the screen's edges in gameplay. This points to FSR 2's ultra performance mode being used, or in other words, 33 per cent scale of the target 4K output. And honestly in still frames - static shots - it does look better than that number might suggest, resolving nicely as the information from prior frames stacks up to generate a convincing-looking final resolve.

Inevitably though, any movement, especially with fine detail on-screen, produces clear scaling artefacts. We get noise - almost like a fizzling effect. Curiously it's also noted that PS5 resolves with a sharper image overall, despite sharing the same base resolution with Series X - a point that possibly suggests a different post-processing treatment between the two. Even more notable is the state of Xbox Series S. Again this version targets 60fps - and resorts to FSR 2 scaling to get there. The base resolution here though comes in at around 768x436, resulting in a much blurrier image, and even more pixel breakup than the other two machines.

As it stands, Immortals has rough edges on all three machines - but more so on Series S. The specular highlights on the city's gold decals break up easily. And even the detailing on our hand turns into pixellated noise any time we switch amulets. Ultimately, these spots don't flatter the work put into the game's otherwise on-point art direction. It's also worth noting the FSR 2 mode is adaptive, adjusting based on PS5 or Series X's output resolution. So for example, by outputting either machine at 4K, the FSR mode is set to ultra performance, or 33 per cent scale - 720p. However, supposing you have a 1080p monitor connected, the game switches to FSR 2 quality mode instead - or 66 per cent of 1080p. In the end, this puts us back at that base 720p resolution.

• Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to Immortals of Aveum (PS5/Xbox Series/PC) - update: Digital Foundry technical analysis

I’ll be honest I’ve never been wowed by any footage. But even though this may be so minor to people, I hate the look of the magical bracelets. They look silly to me. 

it looks like a “launch” title designed to show off the next gen, but will be quickly forgotten once next gen actually kicks into gear and devs get used to the new tech. Which it kind of is for UE5, but not for the consoles. 

1 hour ago, Spawn_of_Apathy said:

I’ll be honest I’ve never been wowed by any footage. But even though this may be so minor to people, I hate the look of the magical bracelets. They look silly to me. 

it looks like a “launch” title designed to show off the next gen, but will be quickly forgotten once next gen actually kicks into gear and devs get used to the new tech. Which it kind of is for UE5, but not for the consoles. 

So it’s Ryse Son of Rome but 2.5 years late?

• Sad 1
  • Halal 1

Aveum-Site_nj2CQ1W_ieFuqNY.jpg?width=120
WWW.EUROGAMER.NET

Immortals of Aveum is one of the heaviest PC titles ever, but are its system requirements accurate? Don Allen investiga…

Even if you're not into the fantasy aesthetic or shooters in general, Immortals of Aveum is still an interesting title. The game is powered by Unreal Engine 5.1 and is the first triple-A title to simultaneously take advantage of several signature UE5 features in order to bring its world to life. Ahead of our look at the game's tech, this article's focus is PC performance.

After all, the release of the game's system requirements ahead of launch raised some eyebrows. The minimum spec calls for an RTX 2080 Super (a $699 graphics card in 2019), backed with an eight-core CPU and ideally an SSD too... and that's only for a 1080p 60fps experience. The recommended specs are even more jaw-dropping, with an RTX 3080 Ti ($1199 in 2021) and Ryzen 7 5700X ($299 in 2022) representing an acceptable level of horsepower for 1440p 60fps gaming - and both of these spec points assume the use of upscaling using DLSS or FSR 2 to boost performance, with native performance likely significantly lower.

Given what we've seen of Unreal Engine 5's performance in real-time demos, the high specs do make some sense - but they're undeniably high. For context, last month's Steam Hardware Survey shows nearly 60 percent of CPUs represented have fewer than eight cores, and only a tiny fraction of graphics cards are equal or better than a 2080 Super. As I have three machines that are pretty close to the suggested 1080p, 1440p, and 4K builds, I thought I'd put the game to the test on each and find out how accurate the recommended specs are in what must be one of the most challenging PC games ever released.

On 8/27/2023 at 3:25 PM, Spork3245 said:

So it’s Ryse Son of Rome but 2.5 years late?

On 8/21/2023 at 11:45 PM, stepee said:

Damn the scale of this last scene with a siege at a castle was cray cray. Really getting Heavenly Sword/Ryse/TheOrder/Lair vibes here in a good way. I’m pretty pumped to play more now

Yep! Better late than never I say though.

1 hour ago, Keyser_Soze said:

@stepee is the only one who's played the game and seen it with real eyes.

It’s definitely one of the best looking games out in whatever that class of top 10 is at the moment. It doesn’t look better than pc versions of Calisto Protocol, Cyberpunk, or Rachet, but most games if does look better than.

It can be a bit hit and miss with how great it looks, the texture quality sometimes betrays the geometric work, but for a lower budget title compared to the AAA’s it always looks pretty damn good, and at times, downright fucking amazing when nanite and lumen are hitting just right and at major set pieces. The quality of the assets quickly streaming without serious degradation during speedy traversal like zip lines is especially impressive. 

Judging the performance of this one is tricky because on one hand I get that it’s insanely demanding when looking at it from the perspective of current consoles and mid range gpus. So I can see how you could say it’s “one of the most challenging pc games every releases” to run.

However, typically when you had super challenging games, nothing out at the time could run them past 60fps maxed out at the current resolution. That’s what Crysis was like, but this is not that situation.  It’s hard to consider it one of the most demanding pc games when you have hardware out right now that can run it mostly at 4k/120 maxed out. My laptop runs it at around 100-140fps with dlss performance at its native 1600p. The $600 4070 should be able to run this close to 4k/120 using dlss performance and frame gen.

This doesn’t feel like a Crysis moment to me and seems actually right in line with how every other demanding game is running right now, on the high end

To me it points more to the huge gulf in power on the market right now on the high end vs mid end/console range and the absolute insane gains garnered by the 4000 series use of dlss3 frame gen. 

A 3080 is going to barely be able to hold 60fps in this at dlss performance. A 4080, cpu willing, should be able to get about 190fps dlss performance. You normally don’t have that kind of leap within two years. 

So, I guess, what I mean to say is, it’s not as bad as people are making it out to be. PC gamers who have equipment from 2020 or older will need to upgrade, but I think by next year the kind of performance you can get out of a mid range upgrade will be substantial and make the rest of the gen a lot less painful. 

I guess it also shows that this game is not very scalable as unlike other demanding games you can’t really adjust settings down. I chalk this up mostly to using software lumen. I’d imagine this would probably look and run better if it used hardware. So yeah, we just need a bit of a price break on that mid range so people can upgrade to something with frame gen that will last the rest of the gen.

• 3 weeks later...

Unfortunately, this isn't terribly unexpected at all.

WWW.POLYGON.COM

The major layoff comes after poor sales for the EA Original

Immortals of Aveum creator Ascendant Studios has laid off nearly half of its staff, according to three people at the studio. Workers estimated that before the layoffs the studio employed 80 to 100 people; around 40 people were laid off. Ascendant CEO Bret Robbins announced the layoffs in a meeting on Thursday.

One former worker told Polygon that Immortals of Aveum’s poor sales were cited for the layoffs, which were said to be necessary to keep the studio running. Immortals of Aveum was released on Aug. 22 on PlayStation 5, Windows PC, and Xbox Series X. The first-person shooter was published by Electronic Arts as an EA Original title — it was originally heralded as a “groundbreaking” AAA single-player magic shooter from an independent studio. But when it was released, the game received mixed reviews from critics, who said it rehashed triple-A tropes.

Immortals of Aveum peaked at just under 800 Steam players shortly after launch, according to SteamDB. Just under one month since its launch, the game has peaked at 74 players over the past 24 hours, per the database’s numbers. This could be, in part, due to Immortals of Aveum’s intense technical requirements — according to The Verge, less than 9% of PCs may have qualified to run the game.

For a big budget first-person shooter, those Steam numbers do not paint a profitable picture. One former worker told Polygon that Immortals of Aveum is likely one of Electronic Arts’ worst selling Originals. Several other people were laid off in the weeks since release, too, one former worker said.

• Sad 1

• Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to Immortals of Aveum - update: Ascendant Studios has reportedly laid off about 50% of its staff