Immortals of Aveum - update: Ascendant Studios has laid off nearly 50% of its staff

Commissar SFLUFAN

• Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to Immortals of Aveum - update: Ascendant Studios has laid off nearly 50% of its staff

I think they aimed too high for the type of game it is. I probably wouldn’t have cared as much if they didn’t sink so much money into the production, but maybe a more Hexen spiritual successor with AA production values would have been a better first endeavor.

It’s a pretty interesting world and they put a lot of effort into it though, so it’s a shame it’s all going to die with this one game nobody besides me will play.

• Halal 1

Just now, SuperSpreader said:

It's really too bad. I feel like this had the most potential of all the "I'm the real Dead Space creator" studios. 

It’s a difficult game for me to think of critically. I’m not sure what could have been done to make it less of a failure besides just never starting the project as scoped. It’s somehow too much and not enough at the same time.

Im enjoying it more as it goes down, particularly the plot I find to be well done for this sort of thing. Any reviewer who played the angle of “Magic of Duty” for whatever reason, did not play the entire game. Especially as the game goes on, there’s a lot more general action adventure game elements here. Platforming, puzzles, etc. Maybe getting itself marketed too much as Magic of Duty is one of major problems, because it’s really not that kind of game at all.

The combat and leveling up grew on me a bit as well. I think it’s a fun game and it’ll be a good pick up when you can find it for like $5 in a month. 

It really is a great first effort maybe it just needed to actually have less hype, less expectations, and to exist more on its own merits as a new IP and a new studio. Maybe if they didn’t get picked up by EA and didn’t get the Hollywood stars. Idk, but it’s a shame it turned out the way it did because there is a lot of talent and a lot of love on display here.

• Halal 1

Well, the good news is the game does wrap up nicely and resolves all major plot points so you don’t need to wait for a sequel that will never come. Beat this today and it was a solid 7.5/10. Great first effort for the studio and I hope they get a chance to make another game as a group, maybe some publisher will notice the obvious talent and give them some franchise to do.

I honestly think they probably made the exact game they wanted to but it’s just not something a lot of people wanted to play. Though I didn’t even know it was sci fi, which raised my interest, until after I started playing. So maybe some marketing issues there.

They get special props for the story which was pretty interesting and went some good places. The game does a good job of handling moral ambiguity and obviously a lot of care went into the lore.

Visually it’s quite phenomenal though no native hdr on any platform is a read scratcher. Some really cool set pieces and the real time cinemas look so good sometimes I would check afterburner to confirm it was really real time. The performance is great on pc for me now, I think a lot of the cpu bottleneck was cleared up and dlss3 is all fixed up. It’s a good impression for UE5 overall at this point.

The game is kind of paced where it’s more of a linear action game at first, then opens up with more optional stuff, back tracking, puzzle solving, exploration area type stuff and becomes a bit more slower paced and like your standard action adventure game. Then it kind of dives back into the action first focus. I think this actually works pretty well for pacing, I don’t have an issue with it, but I feel it threw off some reviewers. I also think they still should have paced out the different magical types better to keep that opening part more fresh, I could see it starting to become stale just when the transition started.

Overall a good time though especially if you are a fan of some good early gen set piece show off stuff.

• 2 months later...
6 hours ago, Brian said:

It’s probably $8 on Xbox because it will hit Game Pass soon

IGN ran an article the other day that said Dead Space remake was $8 with a game pass discount. I thought, what an odd article because it's just ON game pass, why throw in the extra $8?

But yeah this game should be hitting the vault at some point.

11 hours ago, Keyser_Soze said:

IGN ran an article the other day that said Dead Space remake was $8 with a game pass discount. I thought, what an odd article because it's just ON game pass, why throw in the extra $8?

But yeah this game should be hitting the vault at some point.

For a bit yesterday on Xbox, they had the Deluxe edition on for like $10. I just missed out on it, and then it was only to upgrade to the deluxe version. I would of purchased for that price

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I've played a few hours of this, and I'm surprised by how much I dig it. The combat is a lot of fun once you get loaded up with abilities and different magic gun thingies. And I'm starting to get to the points where it opens up a bit more and lets you explore, which is fun too. It definitely benefits from lowered expectations and a single digit price tag, but it's feeling like a solid little game at the moment. 

• Halal 1

23 minutes ago, TheLeon said:

I've played a few hours of this, and I'm surprised by how much I dig it. The combat is a lot of fun once you get loaded up with abilities and different magic gun thingies. And I'm starting to get to the points where it opens up a bit more and lets you explore, which is fun too. It definitely benefits from lowered expectations and a single digit price tag, but it's feeling like a solid little game at the moment. 

Funny timing as I am torturing myself watching Rebel Moon right now while doing some It work for a non profit and Immortals really is a much much much better Star Wars universe clone!

• 1 month later...
4 minutes ago, AbsolutSurgen said:

@stepee   This is part of the Steam Sale -- is it worth US$25?

I think so. Maybe at this point $20 makes more sense for it but it has an interesting story, fantastic graphics (especially the real time cinemas which are quite insane at points) and it’s a solid ~20 hours.

The game is not at all “Magic of Duty” like people tried to pin on the game at launch. Not that I would have even been against that, but it just doesn’t play like that game at all and for much of it is far more open. It kind of starts as a more linear action game, then things open up and you even have some exploring/back tracking and side quest type elements and levels in general become more complex. Then it goes back to being more linear towards the end. 

That element of it, I think hurt its reception as it was often critiqued as if it was a game it wasn’t, but also on its own merit in that it can feel a bit like the game couldn’t fully commit to what it wanted to be.

• 2 weeks later...