True Detective: Night Country (HBO) - Official Trailer

8 hours ago, Brick said:

So after the first episode I thought it might be the case but didn't want to jump to conclusions just yet, but now after this third episode we're definitely dealing with something supernatural, right? 

Given the random polar magnetic noises we hear (Clark's teleporting, Jodie Foster listening to the fridge), that we blatantly see the ghosts of dead people, and Clark's sudden appearance in Tsalal Station at the beginning as if he teleported there all indicate there must be some supernatural element at play, I think.

On 1/30/2024 at 1:44 AM, Brick said:

So after the first episode I thought it might be the case but didn't want to jump to conclusions just yet, but now after this third episode we're definitely dealing with something supernatural, right? 

They kinda teased something supernatural in early Season 1 with Rust hallucinating birds flying in patterns and stuff like that, and then completely pumped the brakes on that by the end. This is definitely leaning much harder into the idea. I honestly don't really know where they're going with it at this point.

18 minutes ago, Ricofoley said:

They kinda teased something supernatural in early Season 1 with Rust hallucinating birds flying in patterns and stuff like that, and then completely pumped the brakes on that by the end. This is definitely leaning much harder into the idea. I honestly don't really know where they're going with it at this point.

Well, Nic Pizzolatto has made it clear he hates making the supernatural real because it dulls critical thinking (which his what Rust says in season 1). Which is why he "pumped the brakes on it". I don't disagree with him despite enjoying the supernatural material in this season. He has come out with some pretty aggressive responses to fans who aren't liking this newest season (calling some story choices this season "stupid" despite not watching the newest season) and Issa Lopez has responded (very classy response compared to Pizzolatto's bitterness).

VARIETY.COM

"True Detective: Night Country" boss Issa Lopez says show creator Nic Pizzolatto is "entitled" to his beliefs and if he wants to diss Season 4 he can.

I believe critics saw the first 4 episodes, and that is part of why reviews are so high. Perhaps we'll see if there is some big revelation this weekend that really kicks things into high gear, but I'm still enjoying it so far. 

• Hype 1

16 hours ago, Greatoneshere said:

Well, Nic Pizzolatto has made it clear he hates making the supernatural real because it dulls critical thinking (which his what Rust says in season 1). Which is why he "pumped the brakes on it". I don't disagree with him despite enjoying the supernatural material in this season. He has come out with some pretty aggressive responses to fans who aren't liking this newest season (calling some story choices this season "stupid" despite not watching the newest season) and Issa Lopez has responded (very classy response compared to Pizzolatto's bitterness).

VARIETY.COM

"True Detective: Night Country" boss Issa Lopez says show creator Nic Pizzolatto is "entitled" to his beliefs and if he wants to diss Season 4 he can.

Reading the article, I get Pizzalatte's position, it's one thing to use the True Detective brand name and another to lay your work on top of someone else's without their permission or input.

53 minutes ago, Moa said:

Reading the article, I get Pizzalatte's position, it's one thing to use the True Detective brand name and another to lay your work on top of someone else's without their permission or input.

I agree, but his ire should be directed at the studio for making a season without him. But now that it's done, shitting on the other creator's actual work when it's clear they loved his show seems petty. I mean, it could be done to him, since he co-wrote the screenplay to the Chris Pratt/Antoine Fuqua The Magnificent Seven remake. Say William Roberts, who solely wrote the screenplay to the original 1960 The Magnificent Seven, or Akira Kurosawa, who co-wrote and directed Seven Samurai; either/or came out and was told, without having seen Pizzolatto's version of The Magnificent Seven, that "such and such" happened in it that was different than their work and they responded with: "haha, so stupid". It's a dismissive thing to say, obviously both those people are dead but if they were alive. So it comes off as hypocritical to be insulting towards someone doing a good job building on your work while you write a remake of someone else's work at the same time and doing that worse. Pizzolatto is now trying to get a Magnificent Seven TV show off the ground (or was) so he's really all in on laying his work on top of someone else's. :p 

I like Pizzolatto's work (generally), but this is the same guy who butted heads so much with director Cary Joji Fukunaga during season 1 to the point he wrote a caricature of him in True Detective season 2 (the director character in that season). And I'm pretty sure having three seasons of Pizzolatto's True Detective out now it's become clear that a lot of season 1's greatness was just as much thanks to Fukunaga in retrospect as it was Pizzolatto. It's pretty clear Pizzolatto is a petty guy (he's probably mad that it's true Fukunaga, and not just him, was a significant part of what made season 1 such a stone cold classic). 

This is also the guy who wrote (before True Detective) two episodes in the first season of the show The Killing and got so fed up writing for that show he left to go do True Detective instead (I think because they dragged out the mystery of the killer in that show and he didn't want to do that, which is fair, I haven't seen the show). The guy clearly doesn't work well with others.

Oh man, The Killing…

I’ve forgotten a lot of the specifics, but during that first season, it clearly felt like it was going to be a one season deal. Either the show would end, or a second season would be a completely new case. But you get to the end of the season and lol nothing is resolved. Pissed me off so much I didn’t watch any more. 

• True 1

3 hours ago, Moa said:

Yes but he doesn't own the True Detective brand... HBO does. And he's listed as an Executive Producer on this so he's getting a check for doing nothing. It's pretty tacky and disrespectful for him to come out so publicly against the show and his colleagues despite how he may feel about it. From a branding perspective, I get why HBO labeled this as a "True Detective" series, but it could have easily been its own thing. Just like that other HBO series from a couple of years ago THE OUTSIDER which had a a lot of True Detective vibes but was also supernatural.

• Halal 1

Even these little callbacks to season 1 could just be little Easter eggs for fans to pick up on, and not any kind of actual connection, so calling them "so stupid" really does seem mean spirited. You don't like it, fine, but don't publicly diss the woman. Dude just wants the attention, and I've lost respect for him for that. 

• True 1

19 hours ago, TheLeon said:

Oh man, The Killing…

I’ve forgotten a lot of the specifics, but during that first season, it clearly felt like it was going to be a one season deal. Either the show would end, or a second season would be a completely new case. But you get to the end of the season and lol nothing is resolved. Pissed me off so much I didn’t watch any more. 

You are correct - of the two episodes he wrote, the second one was the season 1 finale. I believe he wanted to resolve the case but whoever instead forced the same case to continue into season 2, ala Twin Peaks, and Pizzolatto balked and walked away and created True Detective instead in response, a show whose season 1 case is resolved in the same season. :p 

14 hours ago, Brick said:

Even these little callbacks to season 1 could just be little Easter eggs for fans to pick up on, and not any kind of actual connection, so calling them "so stupid" really does seem mean spirited. You don't like it, fine, but don't publicly diss the woman. Dude just wants the attention, and I've lost respect for him for that. 

I haven't even noticed any callbacks to season 1 yet unless he's talking about 

Spoiler

The spiral tattoo?

That's the only thing I could think of.

8 minutes ago, skillzdadirecta said:

I haven't even noticed any callbacks to season 1 yet unless he's talking about 

Reveal hidden contents

That's the only thing I could think of.

I haven't watched the first season since it came out, so I had to read about them, but there's 

Spoiler

the spiral tattoo, the Tuttles who I guess were a family in the first season, are the ones funding Tsalal Research Station, and the ghost guy that the old woman saw in the snow, who's her dead husband I think she said, shares the same last name as Matthew McConaughey's character, so people think that's supposed to be his dad since in Season 1 he mentioned his dad was up in Alaska or something, also why people are thinking McConaughey's character might make an appearance in this show. Again, all could just be Easter eggs for the hardcore fans to notice, have a little chuckle, and put it in the trivia section of the Wiki. Then again, maybe it is actually connected to Season 1, and that's why reviews have been so great because perhaps tonight's episode ties it all back to the first season, and critics got really excited by that. 

• Halal 1

So far the show is really edging the primary plot development in favor of the character development. This isn't a criticism *IF* they stick the landing on the pay off. The acting is mostly good to great, with only a few brief weak moments so far. My wife has started to roll her eyes here and there, which is usually a pretty good sign that reasonable patience has been expended regarding plot progression. Let's hope next Sunday moves the larger arc forward in a meaning way.  

29 minutes ago, Mr.Vic20 said:

So far the show is really edging the primary plot development in favor of the character development. This isn't a criticism *IF* they stick the landing on the pay off. The acting is mostly good to great, with only a few brief weak moments so far. My wife has started to roll her eyes here and there, which is usually a pretty good sign that reasonable patience has been expended regarding plot progression. Let's hope next Sunday moves the larger arc forward in a meaning way.  

Yeah I'm with you at this point. Still good but now wasting time. Episode 4 meandered a little too much, repeating plot beats from the first three episodes. With only 6 episodes total as opposed to the usual 8 for True Detective, they'll have to wrap up at least some plotlines in the next episode if they hope to have enough time to stick the landing. It's definitely possible, hope these last two end the season strong.

• Halal 1

Well they definitely wrapped up some plotlines in this episode, which was good even though I felt like the episode still meandered some. But with most of the subplots closed off now (the situation with Peter and Hank was rough), hopefully the 75 minute finale can bring it home. One downside from the meandering is I've felt like it's been ages since we focused on the actual Tsalal case, it's been a lot of circuitous detective work. While this season feels less weighty and more naturalistic than previous seasons I'm still enjoying it. Perhaps we'll actually go to Carcosa, the Night Country.

Well, it’s all wrapped up, I guess. I feel this season needed two more episodes. This season is still better than the terrible second season, but it’s still not as good as season one. The atmosphere, acting, and concept of this season was great, but I feel a little cheated by the execution of the wrap up. 

2 hours ago, Mr.Vic20 said:

Well, it’s all wrapped up, I guess. I feel this season needed two more episodes. This season is still better than the terrible second season, but it’s still not as good as season one. The atmosphere, acting, and concept of this season was great, but I feel a little cheated by the execution of the wrap up. 

30 minutes ago, Brick said:

That was OK I guess. 

Yeah, I agree with both of you. I liked aspects like the atmosphere, acting, concept, setting, etc. But there was a lack of ooomph to the proceedings. It felt like the season never really ramped up in any way. I think the biggest problem the season had was that the central mystery of who killed the Tsalal men (and Annie K) just wasn't that compelling. The answers we got in this finale were very straightforward but with none of the bombast that usually comes with True Detective. Also having no central killer/villain didn't help either, there was no imposing figure to be worried about. In season one, when the one meth cooker comes out in underwear and a gas mask and a machete walking outside at the end of one of the episodes, you're freaked out by this guy. There was nothing like that here. I enjoyed this season but wish more of the hints of things (like magnetic noises, electrical sounds, oranges, etc.) were more than just window dressing. It's the most watched season of the show and Issa Lopez said she'd be down to do more if the network is, so we'll see. I do think only 6 episodes was not enough but the season didn't have enough story meat on the bones to really warrant more episodes either. A solid season of the show but does speak to how unique Pizzolatto's style is, not easily replicated.

• Halal 1

I get that the True Detective name is valuable, but I feel like this season would’ve been more successful if it was completely its own thing. For me, this show was at its worst when it was trying to be True Detective. Take out the references that don’t really add anything, remove the burden of living up to that first season (which even the original creator couldn’t do) and just let it be a moody Alaska mystery. I think people would’ve tuned in to a Jodie Foster-led HBO series called Night Country, but I’m not a TV executive, so what do I know? :shrug:

Overall, I didn’t love it, but it sounds like I enjoyed it a little more than y’all. I liked the unique setting and vibe enough that I’m not especially disappointed with the particulars of the case or how it was solved. I like how the spirit/force that avenged Annie K’s death was actually just the women of the town.

Oh, and I think it’s time that we, as a society, take a nice long break from slowed down moody covers of pop songs. That really hit a hit a breaking point with me when the Eagle-Eye Cherry cover dropped at the end of episode 5.

• Halal 1

You guys just need to work harder to make your own theories!

WWW.HOLLYWOODREPORTER.COM

Showrunner Issa López and stars Jodie Foster, Kali Reis and Finn Bennett speak with The Hollywood Reporter about the HBO crime drama's chilling conclusion: "It's an ending that leaves you guessing."

• Hugs 1

5 hours ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

You guys just need to work harder to make your own theories!

WWW.HOLLYWOODREPORTER.COM

Showrunner Issa López and stars Jodie Foster, Kali Reis and Finn Bennett speak with The Hollywood Reporter about the HBO crime drama's chilling conclusion: "It's an...

Was just about to post the same thing!!

To be clear, I liked the season (and the finale) well enough, but the writing really was all over the place while they meandered too much in the season. A lot to like though. My feelings are close to this Vox article, where it's good to get rid of the misogyny from previous seasons but this season was weak in some regards.

WWW.VOX.COM

What True Detective’s fourth season gets wrong about True Detective.

I'm pretty much right there with you. There was a lot to like about season 4, but it never really made the most of it. There were interesting characters with complicated dynamics and there were two mysteries, but neither mystery really ever felt urgent or exciting. Part of that is that Liz and Navarro seemed only interested in the Tsalal murders because of Annie's murder, and part of it comes from what I think is a lack of more procedural work. The way the show is setup we get front loaded with all the deaths and the circumstances of their deaths, but there's not much to work through there. It's basically a big question mark until the end (where it still isn't really resolved). I didn't actually mind the lack of entirely definitive answers, but I do think the pacing of reveals and everything is poorly handled.

• Halal 1