Trouble in The House of The Mouse?

Victoria-Alonso-Disney-Logo.jpg?w=1000
DEADLINE.COM

The Walt Disney Company is facing “serious consequences” and possible legal action over the pink slipping this week of Marvel VFX chief Victoria Alonso. Making it clear to Bob Iger, Kev…

For anyone wondering who she is she's been involved with pretty much every Marvel Movie to date and was featured in this 2016 commercial

didn't read this article, but saw some stuff the other day where it said here firing came without warning or she had no clue it was coming...anyone watching some of the shows and movies in the last year+ knows that whoever was in charge of the visual effects was likely in hot water. Not saying it's her fault. They are likely asking WAAAAAAY too much from the visual effects teams and giving them too little time to get the quality effects we've seen the in the past.

You didn't have a clue?? 

960x0.jpg?format=jpg&width=960

are you sure? No clue at all? There wasn't one inkling that may have given some vague notion that something wasn't right and your job might be in jeopardy? Perhaps you might want to ask this guy. MODOK who is now likely know as The Straw That Broke The Camel's Back. 

• Haha 1

I'm guessing she's hoping for a settlement that'll at least last her for some time. Someone leaving Disney should know better than anyone that going against their lawyers is like Mr. Satan fighting Cell on a good day. Even if you have an 'iron clad' case. If she genuinely things this is a winnable case then more power to her, and I hope she has the gumption to push through this.

You guys might want to read the article. Her firing has NOTHING to do with the quality or lack of quality of the recent Disney/Marvel offerings and more to do with the ongoing culture war that Disney has found itself in it seems... at least that's what she's alleging.

It's been known for years now that Marvel/Disney has been pushing VFX companies to their limits pretty much guaranteeing subpar work. This is no secret at all.

1 hour ago, IdeaOfEvil said:

let them get rid of Feige, Kennedy, Iger, and anyone else that's been keeping Disney in a nose dive since D+ started.

I have no idea wtf you're talking about. Iger and Feige in particular are responsible for a lot of the success that Marvel/ Disney has experienced ESPECIALLY Fiege. Iger retired and Disney brought him BACK in order to turn things around. What a curious take.

• True 1

15 minutes ago, skillzdadirecta said:

You guys might want to read the article.

For the record, in case you're lumping me in here, I did read the article. I'm just pessimistic when it comes to Disney. I think, by all accounts, she should probably win. Give Disney's history I am already starting off from a position of trusting her story over whatever they say. But... Like... It's Disney. They'll either force a settlement or bury her. 

I did read the article, and she claims to have been fired for "refusing to do something reprehensible". It's not clear what that is, and the author of the articles goes onto speculate what the factors might be, including issues related to VFX schedules and cost. So it's not actually clear what the real reason is.

9 minutes ago, Reputator said:

I did read the article, and she claims to have been fired for "refusing to do something reprehensible". It's not clear what that is, and the author of the articles goes onto speculate what the factors might be, including issues related to VFX schedules and cost. So it's not actually clear what the real reason is.

That could just be "I am facing a megapowerful corporation and don't want to give them ammo against me."

More or less anything you say or do can be and will be used against you in a court of law. So Disney wronged me and I can't exactly say why seems sus but there could be legal advice about keeping the details vague.

I didn't read the article because she may not be saying what's wrong directly but might have enough info to paint a picture. It's 6am and I'm unsure if I should go back to sleep or just stay up and play RE4. 

Just now, Zaku3 said:

That could just be "I am facing a megapowerful corporation and don't want to give them ammo against me."

More or less anything you say or do can be and will be used against you in a court of law. So Disney wronged me and I can't exactly say why seems sus but there could be legal advice about keeping the details vague.

I didn't read the article because she may not be saying what's wrong directly but might have enough info to paint a picture. It's 6am and I'm unsure if I should go back to sleep or just stay up and play RE4. 

I'm up at 6 AM because of work. I need you to go back to bed so I can sleep vicariously through you.

• Halal 1

According to THR, Disney's "justification" for her termination was her work on the "Argentina, 1985" film:

GettyImages-1349105073x-H-2023.jpg?w=129
WWW.HOLLYWOODREPORTER.COM

The longtime Marvel executive's attorney said in a statement of the firing: "Victoria, a gay Latina who had the courage to criticize Disney, was silenced."

The Oscar-nominated film Argentina, 1985 was at the center of last week’s sudden firing of longtime Marvel Studios executive Victoria Alonso, The Hollywood Reporter has learned.

Alonso was one of eight producers on the Argentine historical drama, which was distributed by Amazon and competed for the best international feature Oscar. However, by assuming that role, she breached her contract — several times — according to sources. After repeated warnings, the situation came to a head the week after the Academy Awards and ultimately led to her termination. It was a seismic shake-up at Marvel, where for years Alonso was part of the holy trinity — along with Marvel Studios boss Kevin Feige and co-president Louis D’Esposito — who led the Marvel Cinematic Universe to ever-greater heights.

According to insiders, Alonso breached a 2018 agreement that included the company’s standards of business conduct, which states that employees cannot work for competing studios.

Sources say that Alonso did not ask permission to work on Argentina, 1985, nor did she give notice. (However, an IndieWire piece published last month on the film stated that she did have permission.) When Disney found out about the project and the violation, her longtime service and veteran status led the company to give her a dispensation on the condition that she not work on the movie further. She was also not to promote it or publicize it in any way. The situation of a top executive working on a movie outside company confines was deemed serious enough to involve the management audit team and a new memo was signed, according to an insider.

I find it really, really hard to believe that her agent/attorney didn't review her agreement with Disney in fine detail to ensure that her work on the film wouldn't violate its terms and conditions.

• Halal 1

7 hours ago, skillzdadirecta said:

You guys might want to read the article. Her firing has NOTHING to do with the quality or lack of quality of the recent Disney/Marvel offerings and more to do with the ongoing culture war that Disney has found itself in it seems... at least that's what she's alleging.

Wasn't there also some online campaign pinning ALL the culture war problems on her? I recall seeing the buzzing and thinking that sounded incredibly stupid.

2 hours ago, Ghost_MH said:

Wasn't there also some online campaign pinning ALL the culture war problems on her? I recall seeing the buzzing and thinking that sounded incredibly stupid.

Was there? I don't know because I truly don't pay attention to that stupid shit but it wouldn't be surprising.  She's at least 2nd or third in line at Marvel Studios after Feige and at one point was even being considered as a potential successor if he ever left. I didn't even know she was a member of the LGBTQ community until this article and thought for a long time she was married to long time comic book editor Axel Alonso. It's no surprise that the anti-woke mob has singled her out.

19 minutes ago, skillzdadirecta said:

Was there? I don't know because I truly don't pay attention to that stupid shit but it wouldn't be surprising.  She's at least 2nd or third in line at Marvel Studios after Feige and at one point was even being considered as a potential successor if he ever left. I didn't even know she was a member of the LGBTQ community until this article and thought for a long time she was married to long time comic book editor Axel Alonso. It's no surprise that the anti-woke mob has singled her out.

Looking it up again, yeah, all from the usual suspects on Twitter, Reddit, and sketchy entertainment sites that have exclusive access into Disney's plans to bury Brie Larson in the Arizona desert. I won't even bother linking to any of them.

• Thanks 1

On 3/25/2023 at 11:06 AM, Ghost_MH said:

As far as I understand, nobody even really knew who she was outside of the last couple of weeks (except for people in/who really follow the industry behind the scenes). But yeah, when this started, quartering, YellowFlash, etc, all jumped on it, because that's the grift. 

• 4 weeks later...