Ron DeSantis requested medical data on all of Florida's trans college students, and colleges complied

63ecf00aeeb52e0018869815?width=1200&form
WWW.INSIDER.COM

DeSantis told all public universities to hand over the medical data about all trans students. Students are calling it a breach of trans rights.

DeSantis asked to see a breakdown of the medical data of students who received gender-affirming care from public entities. In addition, he wants their ages and the dates they received gender-affirming care. The deadline to submit those records was February 10.

The following universities have confirmed they provided the medical records to the government of Florida:

• University of Florida
  • University of Central Florida
  • Florida A&M University
  • Florida International University
  • University of North Florida

Students at these universities are now planning rallies for next week along with the statewide walkout on February 23. Ben Braver, a junior at the University of South Florida and the outreach officer for the school's College Democrats chapter, is leading the initiative, known as the Stand for Freedom Florida Walkout. 

• Guillotine 5

kscg9cegkytyayhlljky.jpg
WWW.THEONION.COM

The task of reporting is not a simple one. Each and every day, reporters and editors at publications like The Onion make difficult decisions about which issues should receive attention, knowing that our coverage will influence not only how people think, but also how they act. This responsibility is at the core of an…

Seems like a good thread as any to drop this.

Florida's a free state!

Except for requesting medical data of trans students for reasons.

And for conservative book bans because parents' feelings may be hurt realizing racists exist here.

And for overriding school boards -- local control only matters if it's conservative.

And for deciding what ideology a college should have.

And for retaliating against a college board because they said something bad about you.

And for retaliating against a business that disagrees with a law you helped create.

And for economic freedom -- your home insurance will go up 40 to 50 percent each year because that's not a culture issue and I can't show leadership on it.

• True 6

26 minutes ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

Somehow, he's even more repugnant than Trump.

I think it's because he has the same 'I'll just pass whatever want, and what are you going to do about it' attitude, but unlike the orange cheeto fart has the skill to properly make his shit policies stick. 45 proved you can at least temporarily push any policy you want, DeShitis is showing that with a bit of political grace you can do more than make it temporarily stick.

1 hour ago, TheShader said:

I think it's because he has the same 'I'll just pass whatever want, and what are you going to do about it' attitude, but unlike the orange cheeto fart has the skill to properly make his shit policies stick. 45 proved you can at least temporarily push any policy you want, DeShitis is showing that with a bit of political grace you can do more than make it temporarily stick.

Eh I think it's more that he's in Florida and they're nuts. 

He's certainly more politically savvy in a way, but by most accounts he's a real werido that nobody really likes. 

1 hour ago, SaysWho? said:

Florida's a free state!

Except for requesting medical data of trans students for reasons.

And for conservative book bans because parents' feelings may be hurt realizing racists exist here.

And for overriding school boards -- local control only matters if it's conservative.

And for deciding what ideology a college should have.

And for retaliating against a college board because they said something bad about you.

And for retaliating against a business that disagrees with a law you helped create.

And for economic freedom -- your home insurance will go up 40 to 50 percent each year because that's not a culture issue and I can't show leadership on it.

yeah but what about the dems and forcing public safety protocols during a pandemic that everyone else did world wide 

It's called a pilot program. Florida is the testing ground, and yes it goes a long way that it's Florida... But it's setting precedent and building blocks. 

Prior to 2016 you'd say 'he can't actually do any of that, he's just saying it because he's a reality TV star that knows it gets ratings' before 4 disastrous years of 'I didn't know he could just do that'. 

1 minute ago, Brick said:

What the fuck?! 

Wait till you find out this isn't even a revelation. Republicans on the state level have been pushing this for at least a year now. Over half the states in the Union are actively trying to take steps toward killing trans people. This is just big news because it's DeShitis instead of some flyover state. Over 200 bills specifically targeting trans people were introduced last year, I believe 20+ of which successfully passed. This year is already looking to eclipse last year as we're already at the 150 mark for anti-trans bills currently introduced at the state level across the country.

• True 2