PC Community Thread

stepee

13 minutes ago, imthesoldier said:

At this point though, I'm done buying electronic hardware for gaming purposes (Upgraded PC + Steam Deck last year), so housing projects (both big, and small) have taken much of the time and effort. Got a new Metal Roof last year (because it's our forever home), plus water heater, and softener, and previously upgraded the furnace when we first got the house. 

I imagine the housing market in Canada got particularly bad during the Pandemic though, correct? And was probably better you got the house then rather than in the middle of it all, or slightly afterwards? At least with all the stuff you've replaced, and done, it makes the whole place feel your own, and not so much someone else's place you just happen to buy it from, which I find a big joy in owning a house. You slowly make it yours. 

To some degree.  The housing market has been going up significantly in the 13 years since I had left (more than doubled in value) -- yes, it did get much worse in the pandemic.

There is SOOO much to do on this house.  I've also put in a new AC unit, a new water heater (tankless), and re-insulated my attic.  My whole house has 40-year old parquet flooring, and I just pulled up 20-year old carpeting from my stairs (and have bare pine showing).  I would have been OK living with someone else's finishes for a while.  :)

• Shocked 1

4 minutes ago, AbsolutSurgen said:

To some degree.  The housing market has been going up significantly in the 13 years since I had left (more than doubled in value) -- yes, it did get much worse in the pandemic.

There is SOOO much to do on this house.  I've also put in a new AC unit, a new water heater (tankless), and re-insulated my attic.  My whole house has 40-year old parquet flooring, and I just pulled up 20-year old carpeting from my stairs (and have bare pine showing).  I would have been OK living with someone else's finishes for a while.  :)

I was about to mention about Abestos, and Lead Paint concerns for you, but I think those were banned in Canada decades before the US did. :lol:

8 hours ago, stepee said:

You are likely cpu bound in this scenario so that’s why there isn’t much of a gain in that case. I think you’d also want to replace its dlss version with 2.5.1 to help with those fine detail issues. But you don’t need the boost there, so it would only be worth it for the better AA.

7 hours ago, Spork3245 said:

I'm assuming that Horizon uses a DLSS2 version that doesn't play nice with it. https://www.techpowerup.com/download/nvidia-dlss-dll/- Try a newer version (you just copy over the .dll in the game directory). DLSS typically looks better than native resolution in 99% of games, and does not have any artifacts. The claim of it only bumping performance by 20% vs native is a bit of a misnomer, as DLSS also provides the equivalent of 4x AA (or better) at quality, so the real test is native + 4x AA vs DLSS.

The lower you go in base resolution, the higher the setting of DLSS you need. However, at quality, you can go down to 1080p and it should not look worse than native (should look significantly better considering the aliasing being removed). 1440p, the lowest you'd want is balanced. 4k you can go to performance without it looking noticeably worse than native. 8k can go all the way down to ultra performance.

Weird, I remember seeing a graph that put the X1 just a hair below the launch Xbone overall in terms of capabilities.

It improved things, but not everything. The weird effect I mentioned on the ground still happens. Meridian is the place where it is easiest to see. Run and the ground blurs and flickers more behind near the bottom edge of the screen and where there are horizontal textures on the ground, like the long bridges I still get those shimmering/flickering horizontal lines ahead of you too.

It’s weird it almost looks like the flicker horizontal lines I see ahead of Aloy are getting stacked at the bottom of the screen as a run. odd effect.

So the ground texture lines thing seems unchanged. But since most of the game is not uniform horizontal lines on the ground it may be fine. While everything else does look better. Areas where I’d get some minor tearing are also smoothed out. 

• Halal 1

4 hours ago, SuperSpreader said:

This is what daddy wants

PCPARTPICKER.COM

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: Intel Core i9-13900KF 3 GHz 24-Core Processor  ($568.75 @ Amazon) 
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master MASTERLIQUID ML240L RGB V2 65.59 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler  ($94.99 @ Amazon) 
Motherboard: Asus ROG MAXIMUS Z790 HERO ATX LGA1700 Motherboard  ($629.99 @ B&H) 
Memory: G.Skill Trident Z5 RGB 64 GB (2 x 32 GB) DDR5-6400 CL32 Memory  ($379.99 @ Amazon) 
Memory: G.Skill Trident Z5 RGB 64 GB (2 x 32 GB) DDR5-6400 CL32 Memory  ($379.99 @ Amazon) 
Storage: Samsung 980 Pro 2 TB M.2-2280 PCIe 4.0 X4 NVME Solid State Drive  ($189.99 @ Amazon) 
Video Card: MSI GAMING TRIO GeForce RTX 4090 24 GB Video Card  ($1618.99 @ Newegg) 
Case: NZXT H7 Flow ATX Mid Tower Case  ($129.99 @ Best Buy) 
Power Supply: Corsair HX1000i (2022) 1000 W 80+ Platinum Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply  ($219.99 @ Amazon) 
Sound Card: Creative Labs Sound BlasterX AE-5 Plus 32-bit 384 kHz Sound Card  ($149.99 @ Abt) 
Total: $4362.66
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2023-02-08 12:48 EST-0500

ftfy - also it was showing errors before that don’t show now 

2 hours ago, stepee said:

Looking at ddr5 prices they actually don’t look TOO bad. I know ram was dirt cheap for awhile so it’s more now but 32gb of ddr5 6000 for $150 or so seems fine?

Guess it means getting some DDR4 3200 memory for my rig would be cheap, no? :p

I may be dead in terms of no real upgrade path (LGA1200 mobo), but it's not to say 11th gen Intel is "slow." 

On my old PC I had a cheap $30 keyboard. For travelling with my Steam Deck, I bought a cheapish 60% Bluetooth mechanical keyboard on Prime Day. I discovered I really like mechanical keyboards. I have been using this on the new PC. 

Wife was complaining about the smaller keys on the keyboard. Looked into the price of mechanical keyboards. Fuck. 

Discovered that Corsair had refurbished K100s on their website for a significantly lower price than new and ordered one. I still feel  bad spending US$160 on a keyboard. But did I really have a choice?

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, imthesoldier said:

Guess it means getting some DDR4 3200 memory for my rig would be cheap, no? :p

I may be dead in terms of no real upgrade path (LGA1200 mobo), but it's not to say 11th gen Intel is "slow." 

looks like $70!

One thing i’ve noticed playing some more demanding games on deck like Potter, low settings don’t seem so bad anymore. Seems to at least give you the general look of the game still. Before it seemed like if you went to low it would make it look like a ps2 game and lose all of the intended look. I guess it’s just the baseline is so much higher now, but what’s nice is no matter what the settings now you seem to still get the intended art design of the game.