PC Community Thread

stepee

2 minutes ago, Spork3245 said:

Check my edit from just now :p 

yeah but it’s Nintendo so we will see lol it’s hard to picture them releasing something on par with the series s and then adding dlss to that but who knows! Maybe just nvidia not having anything available as underpowered as Nintendo usually likes to go will force them against their will back to something that can support all third party games again.

3 minutes ago, stepee said:

yeah but it’s Nintendo so we will see lol it’s hard to picture them releasing something on par with the series s and then adding dlss to that but who knows! Maybe just nvidia not having anything available as underpowered as Nintendo usually likes to go will force them against their will back to something that can support all third party games again.

I think it’s like “this is what we have… money please.” with nVidia selling to Nintendo. How custom was the Switch Tegra chip? I know the OG XBOX’s nVidia GPU was basically just an early design GeForce 4 Ti chip.

14 minutes ago, Spork3245 said:

I think it’s like “this is what we have… money please.” with nVidia selling to Nintendo. How custom was the Switch Tegra chip? I know the OG XBOX’s nVidia GPU was basically just an early design GeForce 4 Ti chip.

Just looked back at Wikipedia, and it suggests that Switch was using a Tegra X1 -- which was released in Q2 2015.

Yeah it wasn’t custom really at all, and I don’t think nvidia will do much custom here either. I guess it just matters on what is the cheapest chip Nintendo can buy that is a generational leap over the current tegra that would make sense to mass manufacture in 2024.

If they can cheap out and push out a 1tflop device they probably will but Nvidia might just not have anything that really matches beyond something more powerful like the new tegra.

14 minutes ago, AbsolutSurgen said:

Just looked back at Wikipedia, and it suggests that Switch was using a Tegra X1 -- which was released in Q2 2015.

The next Tegra (X2) wasn’t released until less-than 5 months before the Switch came out. There was never a chance the Switch was going to use the X2 as hardware would’ve been finalized before the X2 was available. Regardless, it wasn’t custom which was my point. :p 

Just now, Spork3245 said:

Those are custom chips and from a different company. :p 

AMD was able to get prototypes to Sony/MS for dev units and product design to support a simultaneous launch.

If Nintendo wanted the X2 for a console launch 5-months after the chip launched, I am sure Nvidia would have been able to support.

Just now, AbsolutSurgen said:

AMD was able to get prototypes to Sony/MS for dev units and product design to support a simultaneous launch.

If Nintendo wanted the X2 for a console launch 5-months after the chip launched, I am sure Nvidia would have been able to support.

38 minutes ago, Spork3245 said:

I think it’s like “this is what we have… money please.” with nVidia selling to Nintendo.

Man that Control HDR semi official patch (i feel this is more accurate than to say mod) is pretty rad. I definitely recommend checking it out. Playing with that, and now on an oled and at 120fps it’s still such an awesome looking game. The HDR really helps show off the ray tracing which can get a bit lost in the blandness of the original tone.

I kinda get why they don’t want to release it officially as far as keeping the original intended look. That drab kinda office look, I get it, I can see wanting to stick with that. But also cmon hdr looks so much better they should give people the option.

19 hours ago, stepee said:

Man that Control HDR semi official patch (i feel this is more accurate than to say mod) is pretty rad. I definitely recommend checking it out. Playing with that, and now on an oled and at 120fps it’s still such an awesome looking game. The HDR really helps show off the ray tracing which can get a bit lost in the blandness of the original tone.

I kinda get why they don’t want to release it officially as far as keeping the original intended look. That drab kinda office look, I get it, I can see wanting to stick with that. But also cmon hdr looks so much better they should give people the option.

How hard was it to install?

Just now, AbsolutSurgen said:

How hard was it to install?

As easy as you can get! Just make sure you download the right zip file for what version you have (steam, epic, drm free, etc) and literally just copy/paste the contents of the zip into the root folder for Control and overwrite everything. 

The options then appear as actual menu options since it’s really just a patch from a Remedy employee and he has full code access etc.

Make sure to also set texture streaming to max now!

• Thanks 1

There really is some great ray tracing especially with the shadows and lighting that is lost normally as it’s blended into the bland sdr grey tone. Which, again, I get is part of the intended look but I think the drab office environment still works with proper highlights. I won’t be going back to sdr that’s for sure.

1 hour ago, stepee said:

Stay STRONG

1 hour ago, Spork3245 said:

Starting to get itchy fingers for my new gaming PC. Realistically I have locked in on Nvidia's 50Series cards but these deals on 600series mother boards are getting better and better. I'm sure 18 months from now the z690's might just be MUCH MORE affordable along with DDR5 memory.

3 hours ago, HardAct said:

Starting to get itchy fingers for my new gaming PC. Realistically I have locked in on Nvidia's 50Series cards but these deals on 600series mother boards are getting better and better. I'm sure 18 months from now the z690's might just be MUCH MORE affordable along with DDR5 memory.

I’m really hoping the 7800x3d/7900x3d makes some gains even over a 13900k, I hate upgrading cpus, gpus are just so much easier to replace, but we need a pretty big boost to secure 120fps RT in the future!

8 hours ago, HardAct said:

Why not just wait for DDR6?

Ugh this is annoying I just apparently burned up the power delivery on my second usb c hub in 6 months. I like to have one with ethernet plugged in that sits between the steam deck charger and an ucb c extensions cord I connect to the deck. That way whenever I’m playing with my deck charged I also have an ethernet connection for absolutely flawless local streaming on moonlight.

It’s my favorite thing and I’m not giving it up so if I have to keep doing $30 every 3 months so be it but I tried getting an anker that was like $80 instead of these cheaper ones i’ve been getting in hopes that it just happens due to poor quality of those ones. I won’t know for a few months though as these last two worked flawlessly at first.

What happens is it still works as a passive hub but the ability to pass through the charge to the deck stops functioning no matter what you try.

38 minutes ago, AbsolutSurgen said:

Played a bunch of Control with the HDR patch -- wow.  Huge improvement over the auto-HDR.  Black Rock Quarry, in particular, was very pretty.

Right! Kind of shows how little auto hdr does in comparison (though still better than nothing!) and reminds me what a huge boost to gaming hdr was in general last gen.

On 2/3/2023 at 7:33 PM, Remarkableriots said:

Why not just wait for DDR6?

I'm already locked into waiting for nvidia 50series so DDR6 is also a must. I was confused on the number. it's going to be a ddr6 gaming pc with a 50 sseries card and what ever is the king in cpus at that time.

3 minutes ago, HardAct said:

I'm already locked into waiting for nvidia 50series so DDR6 is also a must. I was confused on the number. it's going to be a ddr6 gaming pc with a 50 sseries card and what ever is the king in cpus at that time.

DDR6 won’t be available until late 2025 at the earliest. There’s zero reason to wait for or want it. 

• Halal 1

4 minutes ago, Spork3245 said:

DDR6 won’t be available until late 2025 at the earliest. There’s zero reason to wait for or want it. 

Ok, so back to my original thought appreciated sir!....lol see confused as the the number were on now, I'm gaming on 32 gigs DDR4 corsair 3200 memory now go i'm sure DDR5 will be a huge improvement down the road. I'm just glad I some how managed to hold off on the 40 series. I was dead set on a new gaming PC THIS YEAR but I'm glad I didn't. I'm still gaming fine on this 2080Ti/I7 9700k PC.

I likely will also go AMD CPU maybe a 7900X3d because of power draw and heat. By the time the 50 series GPU's are out though we'll have banging new CPUs out and the cycle continues. I've never built a AMD anything and I think it's time, or at least in 18 months or so....lol

On 2/2/2023 at 2:07 PM, stepee said:

I used to think that switch 2 would be more powerful than the deck, until I got it. After playing games like Valhalla and Uncharted 4, and Spider-man on it, it’s hard to picture that Nintendo has something beyond that in store.

Now I kind of think it’ll be about on the same level with dlss being the wild card (do they use it to get to that level? or do they release something with the raw power of steam deck and then add dlss3 to make things kinda wild?)

DLSS, or some bespoke variant of it is what I, and others I've talked to on Discord, feel is what'll keep the Switch platform relevant in this growing age of 4k gaming. I believe 1080p docked will still be the target, but DLSS upscaling to 4K for Switch 2. That, and Frame Interpolation could also be a thing, which could be a game changer if done right for getting 30fps targeted games to 60fps, or perhaps in some cases, 60fps titles to 120fps. 

On paper, I think Switch 2 will be about on par, but with the improved upscaling techniques that nVidia holds, it'll put it a step above as an actual Hybrid console, compared to the Deck's more handheld-centric design. 

I'll still continue to use my Deck, and more than likely for years to come as I could find it being useful as an Emulation Device if it can't run some of the newest titles. 

1 minute ago, imthesoldier said:

DLSS, or some bespoke variant of it is what I, and others I've talked to on Discord, feel is what'll keep the Switch platform relevant in this growing age of 4k gaming. I believe 1080p docked will still be the target, but DLSS upscaling to 4K for Switch 2. That, and Frame Interpolation could also be a thing, which could be a game changer if done right for getting 30fps targeted games to 60fps, or perhaps in some cases, 60fps titles to 120fps. 

On paper, I think Switch 2 will be about on par, but with the improved upscaling techniques that nVidia holds, it'll put it a step above as an actual Hybrid console, compared to the Deck's more handheld-centric design. 

I'll still continue to use my Deck, and more than likely for years to come as I could find it being useful as an Emulation Device if it can't run some of the newest titles. 

If Nintendo sets a native 1080p target (dlss performance mode) for their games to upscale to 4k, that would be fucking amazing and I would finally play Nintendo games on tv sometimes again, which I haven’t done since early wiiu days. 

I won’t get too excited until we see what it is though, it’ll probably be like 360p native upscaled to 1440p or some shit :P

• Like 1

1 minute ago, stepee said:

If Nintendo sets a native 1080p target (dlss performance mode) for their games to upscale to 4k, that would be fucking amazing and I would finally play Nintendo games on tv sometimes again, which I haven’t done since early wiiu days. 

I won’t get too excited until we see what it is though, it’ll probably be like 360p native upscaled to 1440p or some shit :P

Next Switch will do 1080p to 8k via DLSS Ultra Performance and will run everything at 60fps with full ray-tracing

Burnie Burns Conspiracy GIF by Rooster Teeth

3 minutes ago, Spork3245 said:

Next Switch will do 1080p to 8k via DLSS Ultra Performance and will run everything at 60fps with full ray-tracing

Burnie Burns Conspiracy GIF by Rooster Teeth

lol I’m actually curious what kind of performance is needed to get to be almost on par with xsx/ps5 in a world where Nintendo gets a dlss3 chip

We can pretty much take the 10tflops down to 5tflops off of FG alone, then it gets harder as you’d have to kind of think of what acceptable native resolution can you get away with on dlss vs fsr2? I think you can maybe knock it down to 4tflops to match a XSX easily.

I don’t think Nintendo will actually get FG nor will release a 4tflops console, but they can only reasonably source something so low powered. It’ll be interesting!

9 minutes ago, stepee said:

lol I’m actually curious what kind of performance is needed to get to be almost on par with xsx/ps5 in a world where Nintendo gets a dlss3 chip

We can pretty much take the 10tflops down to 5tflops off of FG alone, then it gets harder as you’d have to kind of think of what acceptable native resolution can you get away with on dlss vs fsr2? I think you can maybe knock it down to 4tflops to match a XSX easily.

I don’t think Nintendo will actually get FG nor will release a 4tflops console, but they can only reasonably source something so low powered. It’ll be interesting!

A lot of people seem to either forget or ignore that the Switch is around the launch Xbox One power give-or-take, expecting XSS level power + DLSS isn't that far of a dream.

9 minutes ago, Spork3245 said:

A lot of people seem to either forget or ignore that the Switch is around the launch Xbox One power give-or-take, expecting XSS level power + DLSS isn't that far of a dream.

Switch is theoretically 1tflops to the Xbox One OG’s 1.3, but there’s a lot more to their power gulf and I believe that the 1tflops is measured differently (16bit calculations?) in a way that makes it seem closer than it is in practical terms. I see Wikipedia has it at 500gflops docked, I have a feeling that isn’t totally accurate but it’s probably around there. I think counting the cpu difference it’s probably like 1/3rd there. It’s comfortably between a 360 and a X1. 

I think this could be a lot closer, reasonably it should be close to a Series S at least but it’s just that it’s NINTENDO

21 hours ago, stepee said:

Switch is theoretically 1tflops to the Xbox One OG’s 1.3, but there’s a lot more to their power gulf and I believe that the 1tflops is measured differently (16bit calculations?) in a way that makes it seem closer than it is in practical terms. I see Wikipedia has it at 500gflops docked, I have a feeling that isn’t totally accurate but it’s probably around there. I think counting the cpu difference it’s probably like 1/3rd there. It’s comfortably between a 360 and a X1. 

I think this could be a lot closer, reasonably it should be close to a Series S at least but it’s just that it’s NINTENDO

Say the Switch 2 had a 1.84TFLOP chip like the Base PS4, due to architectural differences, additional feature sets, and other efficiency improvements, it'll be more like PS4 Pro in terms of overall horsepower. 

Even the Steam Deck, which is about 2TFLOPS, at 720/800p, that's pretty damn close to the Xbox Series S' 4TFLOP horsepower at 1080p. Sure, it doesn't play Dad of War as good at 1080p as it does on PS4, and it doesn't play Doom Eternal at 120fps (actually it might be able to with some tweaks), but console optimizations play a role in that too. 

I did prove it was possible to play Doom 2016 at 60fps while only using a total of 10 watts of power, so maybe some magic could be done? :cool: