The James Gunn's The DC Cinematic The Universe

2 minutes ago, Kal-El814 said:

Continuing to chase the MCU’s coattails after what will be almost 20 years of failure is such a weird move.

I'm hoping for the best, but expecting the worst. The true villains of the DCU mess, the WB executives, are still mucking about in the background. 

I wouldn't be surprised if we see part 2 of failure with the DCU. The first movie or two inevitably don't pull Avengers: Endgame numbers off the bat, execs get mad at unrealistic financial and critical goals of the first movie, begin reshuffling, delaying, and canceling movies, screw with the creative process insisting that adding a giant mechanical spider will make their movies hit 20 trillion at the box office, and eventually throw James Gunn under the bus and start over. 

This is silly. Just go back to being what Warners used to be: the director’s studio. Give talented people your top tier IP and loads of money to make great movies, continuity be damned.

1 hour ago, TheShader said:

I'm hoping for the best, but expecting the worst. The true villains of the DCU mess, the WB executives, are still mucking about in the background. 

I wouldn't be surprised if we see part 2 of failure with the DCU. The first movie or two inevitably don't pull Avengers: Endgame numbers off the bat, execs get mad at unrealistic financial and critical goals of the first movie, begin reshuffling, delaying, and canceling movies, screw with the creative process insisting that adding a giant mechanical spider will make their movies hit 20 trillion at the box office, and eventually throw James Gunn under the bus and start over. 

I mean I just don’t know that there’s a huge market for this:

"Superman was sent to earth, and he was raised by incredibly loving parents, whereas Kara was in Krypton," Gunn said at the announcement event. "She was a piece of Krypton that drifted away from the planet and lived there for the first 14 years of her life among horrible situation where she watched everybody around her die. And so she's a much harsher and more fucked up Supergirl than we've been used to thus far."

Gunn and Safran also revealed there will be movies based on Swamp Thing, exploring the creature's dark origins, and The Authority, which will bring in characters from DC's WildStorm imprint. In addition, they clarified their plan for the DCU's Batman, which will include father/son story The Brave and the Bold as well as Matt Reeves' previously planned The Batman trilogy.

You’re not going to outdo The Boys, so I have no fucking clue why they’d bring The Authority into the mix.

I like Gunn’s style; Guardians have been great and I like Peacemaker a ton. But the latter works as a palette cleanser, you can’t have that vibe be the foundation on which you’re gonna build the whole house.

So much of this whole scene reminds me of reading Wizard back in the 90’s. There was a lot of hand wringing about why comics like Shi were outselling Superman and what could be done about that. And the answer is maybe… nothing? Maybe Superman doesn’t put as many asses in seats as people might want? 

I dunno. They’re talking about rocket ships to Mars but they haven’t put a satellite into orbit yet. It’s weird.

• Halal 1

1 hour ago, sblfilms said:

This is silly. Just go back to being what Warners used to be: the director’s studio. Give talented people your top tier IP and loads of money to make great movies, continuity be damned.

The answer is so obviously this.

Everyone keeps slurping the MCU’s continuity but:

1) It serves such a smaller part of the audience than people realize

2) It’s smoke and mirrors

They photoshopped Jake Gyllenal into a bunch of Iron Man shit he wasn’t actually in and body swapped Nick Fury who’s apparently been off-earth for years for, as of right now, no fucking reason.

Maybe make one Superman movie that doesn’t eat shit before you worry about him and Apollo punching one another, my god.

• Halal 1

In a vacuum, it's all about execution rather than what audiences want. Marvel kickstarted the most lucrative film franchise to date off of Iron Man, a C list hero at best to anyone that didn't read comics. But they didn't have Spider-Man, X-men, or Hulk which were their best sellers at the time so they did what they could with what they had. 

I'm still not optimistic, of course, as I don't think the execution will be there, or more importantly the follow through. 

3 minutes ago, Kal-El814 said:

Everyone keeps slurping the MCU’s continuity but:

1) It serves such a smaller part of the audience than people realize

2) It’s smoke and mirrors

I just want to take a moment to agree wholeheartedly with this. I feel like I'm watching an entirely different film franchise when people praise how meticulously interwoven the the continuity of the MCU is. It's really not, and they've played fast and loose with continuity since the beginning, and most movies have nothing to do with other movies, often times even within the same trilogy. 

20 minutes ago, TheShader said:

I just want to take a moment to agree wholeheartedly with this. I feel like I'm watching an entirely different film franchise when people praise how meticulously interwoven the the continuity of the MCU is. It's really not, and they've played fast and loose with continuity since the beginning, and most movies have nothing to do with other movies, often times even within the same trilogy. 

It seems pretty unlikely that Thanos would just… hand an Infinity Stone to Loki given everything that happened in Infinity War. But you know, it worked to have them retcon the scepter to be one them, but it worked for Age of Ultron and The Infinity War / Endgame so who fucking cares.

• Guillotine 1

I like Gunn and I want to see good DCU movies and shows, but I'm not super excited about the overall direction nor the specific stories that he went through in that video. They're still making the "Elseworlds" stuff like The Batman 2 and Joker 2. So, they're trying to go all in on continuity while at the same time it's clear some of their best stuff doesn't fit into that continuity.

Also, I have to say that as someone who doesn't read comics but has seen their fair share of DC media, I have no attachment at all to many of the characters mentioned. Maybe that'll be be helpful in that they don't need to immediately re-introduce all the major DC characters, but they're really going to need to execute to convince me that these are worth my time.

I also find it interesting that Gunn is continuing to do so much writing while also heading up this whole division. If he can do it, good for him, but it sure seems like a lot.

Also concerning that they are still clearly planning on keeping Ezra Miller if they can get away with it.

Yeah, overall I am not excited by this at all. Maybe I will get hyped when individual movies are actually announced/revealed...but I was kind of hoping for a much harder reset. Go back to absolute basics with a great Superman movie unrelated to anything else, etc.

20 minutes ago, TwinIon said:

I like Gunn and I want to see good DCU movies and shows, but I'm not super excited about the overall direction nor the specific stories that he went through in that video. They're still making the "Elseworlds" stuff like The Batman 2 and Joker 2. So, they're trying to go all in on continuity while at the same time it's clear some of their best stuff doesn't fit into that continuity.

Also, I have to say that as someone who doesn't read comics but has seen their fair share of DC media, I have no attachment at all to many of the characters mentioned. Maybe that'll be be helpful in that they don't need to immediately re-introduce all the major DC characters, but they're really going to need to execute to convince me that these are worth my time.

I also find it interesting that Gunn is continuing to do so much writing while also heading up this whole division. If he can do it, good for him, but it sure seems like a lot.

I didn't realize there was a video. I'm watching it now. It's somehow filled me with even less confidence. I love Gunn, but this has the vibe of someone making a long Reddit post about 'This is how I would fix these movies' and it's just them coming up with the worst ideas for 1,500 words.

I think Gunn is talented and confident, but I hope he hasn't gotten himself in over his head on this one.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, CitizenVectron said:

Also concerning that they are still clearly planning on keeping Ezra Miller if they can get away with it.

Yeah, overall I am not excited by this at all. Maybe I will get hyped when individual movies are actually announced/revealed...but I was kind of hoping for a much harder reset. Go back to absolute basics with a great Superman movie unrelated to anything else, etc.

The tone and way he brought up Flash 100% sounded like the boss trying to ease into explaining how he's going to rehire the employee that got fired after taking a shit in their hand and flinging it at their coworkers.

37 minutes ago, Kal-El814 said:

It seems pretty unlikely that Thanos would just… hand an Infinity Stone to Loki given everything that happened in Infinity War. But you know, it worked to have them retcon the scepter to be one them, but it worked for Age of Ultron and The Infinity War / Endgame so who fucking cares.

You obviously have no clue what you're talking about.

2 hours ago, Kal-El814 said:

therock'd

All of the decisions characters made with the Infinity Stone in Phase 1/2 were dumb, so at least the scepter retcon was consistent. Why would Thanos task the unstable Ronin in retrieving a stone for him? Why would Asgard give a stone to The Collector? Would Thor really melt a stone into an android?

2 hours ago, TheShader said:

I think Gunn is talented and confident, but I hope he hasn't gotten himself in over his head on this one.

After watching the actual video, I can confidently, unequivocally, and resolutely say the he is absolutely, totally, and completely in over his head on this one.

In fact, there is probably no one in this plane of existence who wouldn't be.

• Halal 1

16 minutes ago, cusideabelincoln said:

All of the decisions characters made with the Infinity Stone in Phase 1/2 were dumb, so at least the scepter retcon was consistent. Why would Thanos task the unstable Ronin in retrieving a stone for him? Why would Asgard give a stone to The Collector? Would Thor really melt a stone into an android?

There's a difference between Thanos tasking someone he believes loyal to bring a stone to him vs. him willingly giving away one of the things he's actively looking to collect. Again, none of the early shit fits, Thor at some point is aware of and actively looking for Infinity Stones but doesn't know the aether is one when it's taken over Jane?

Which is totally fine, that's the point.

4 minutes ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

After watching the actual video, I can confidently, unequivocally, and resolutely say the he is absolutely, totally, and completely in over his head on this one.

In fact, there is probably no one in this plane of existence who wouldn't be.

I think putting a director at the helm of something like this is a horrible idea in general. Kevin Feige was just... built for this. Dude's wikipedia page is like 5 paragraphs long.

And say what you will about the vibes of the MCU, they're built for mass consumption, they're like the Cheetos of movies. Snyder and Gunn? I... don't know that they have it in them to temper their indulgent instincts? Which is GREAT for a show like Peacemaker or pretty good for something like 300. I don't think you can plan a connected universe around that.

Anyone else think Thanos could have used the Time stone to see what needed to be done in order for his plan to work? Dr. Strange had to go through millions of outcomes before he found our End Game? 

Anyways I look forward to what they have plan for the DC universe. I have faith in Gunn and him knowing what the people want to see and not what the Warner Bros. CEO thinks we needed during their first try?!?

21 minutes ago, Kal-El814 said:

I think putting a director at the helm of something like this is a horrible idea in general. 

That's where I'm at as well.

I just don't believe that the skillset required to be a successful director necessarily translates or scales upward to the degree that a project of this ambition demands.

• Halal 1

55 minutes ago, TheShader said:

I think there's a non-zero chance that they're only claiming to keep Ezra long enough to squeeze out box office money from The Flash, and will drop him after. If they do keep him after that then I'm really curious about what Putin level blackmail he has on the WB execs.

Them/they.

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, Kal-El814 said:

There's a difference between Thanos tasking someone he believes loyal to bring a stone to him vs. him willingly giving away one of the things he's actively looking to collect. 

I don't see much of a difference with how Loki and Ronin's temperaments were displayed in those movies. The "real" Thanos wouldn't have trusted either of their selfish motivations with those tasks, especially when those stones were presented as fairly easily attainable by his own crew.

5 hours ago, Kal-El814 said:

Again, none of the early shit fits,

And this is the point. The continuity stuff was mostly tacked onto the movies, and at worst made movies unfocused (Iron Man 2). But it did give us Winter Soldier, Civil War,  Ragnarok, and IW/EG, so I still enjoy it even with the contradictions. But it's definitely something I don't need to see the DC emulate especially if they are going to start from scratch.

3 hours ago, Brick said:

I think you guys are being far too cynical. We'll wait and see, and I hope for the best. 

I think I'm being at the right level. I'm hopeful, I want Gunn to be successful, as a comic book nerd all the stuff he's promising I'd sell my left nut to see successfully done on the big screen, but I'm not going to hold my breath, either. Especially since, as I previously stated, my strongest distrust is with the executives at WB.

Otherwise, I'll be the first with movie tickets in my hands to go watch this stuff.

• Like 1

Utilizing Morrison's Brave & the Bold run as the template for a true Batman & Robin film will be amazing AF! The Lanterns series, in vein of True Detective while being space cops is cool as hell & I am so on board. That opening animated series has an intriguing art style to be sure so that's on my radar as is the Themyscira series.

I have faith in Gunn until proven wrong, so I have faith for now.

• Halal 1