The James Gunn's The DC Cinematic The Universe

If we're getting Damian Wayne, I want this version of him.

3BatmanFamilyAdven_mobile_landingpage.jp
WWW.WEBTOONS.COM

Batman needs a break. But with new vigilante Duke Thomas moving into Wayne Manor and an endless supply of adopted, fostered, and biological superhero children to manage, Bruce Wayne is going to have...

I think for those worried Gunn is in over his head, he might be, but let's not forget he has a dedicated producing partner in Peter Safran so it's not like he's alone in this, even taking into account Gunn is a writer/director and not a producer/shepherder of projects. Secondly, let's not forget that Gunn isn't writing and/or directing all of these movies. If he picks talented people, which someone like him should be good at, then individual movies will be dependent on that, and Gunn will likely protect creative interests in those movies on behalf of those writers and directors which will hopefully be a good thing. He's also a big comic book nerd, and not in just one particular way like Snyder was, so that should help too. I'm not hopeful much but we'll see. I look forward to at least The Batman 2 and Joker 2.

• Halal 1

17 hours ago, Greatoneshere said:

I think for those worried Gunn is in over his head, he might be, but let's not forget he has a dedicated producing partner in Peter Safran so it's not like he's alone in this, even taking into account Gunn is a writer/director and not a producer/shepherder of projects. Secondly, let's not forget that Gunn isn't writing and/or directing all of these movies. If he picks talented people, which someone like him should be good at, then individual movies will be dependent on that, and Gunn will likely protect creative interests in those movies on behalf of those writers and directors which will hopefully be a good thing. He's also a big comic book nerd, and not in just one particular way like Snyder was, so that should help too. I'm not hopeful much but we'll see. I look forward to at least The Batman 2 and Joker 2.

Black Widow Avengers GIF

1 hour ago, Brick said:

With regards to The Flash and Ezra Miller, it should be noted that WB/DC can't fire/replace Miller while they are in treatment/rehab as per SAG-AFTRA rules. 

I mean ultimately, WB & DC have a movie to promote when it comes time to do so. Were I to guess, they will have Ezra out minimally at best for interviews/press events & sometime shortly after its release (within a month lets say), they'll have an official announcement about either Miller being let go officially and/or new casting. They also very well COULD opt to not have Barry Allen in the DCU but instead have it be Wally West perhaps?

12 minutes ago, skillzdadirecta said:

Both were critcal AND financial hits though.

It is so confounding to me to see all the success Warners has had with a disconnected series of comic characters for decades, and how much hassle it has been to try and make a connected universe only for them to want to try so desperately again.

47 minutes ago, TheShader said:

Yeah, that's what I said.

You said they were critical successes without mentioning how they performed financially. I was pointing out that they were critically successful and financial hits as well. There's a difference. Wasn't sure that's what you meant.

47 minutes ago, sblfilms said:

It is so confounding to me to see all the success Warners has had with a disconnected series of comic characters for decades, and how much hassle it has been to try and make a connected universe only for them to want to try so desperately again.

HAS to be a mandate from the execs... EVERYONE has been trying to emulate the shared universe formula that Marvel has pioneered and it hasn't worked for most. From Annabelle to Godzilla, shared universes have been seen as money makers by Hollywood if you can get them to work because they drive people to see movies that are connected to other movies. Some have been somewhat successful, but DC hasn't because they refuse to do what they truly need to do and that's scrap everything and start from scratch. Even I get confused by their films and what takes place where.

On 2/3/2023 at 2:49 AM, SoberChef said:

I mean ultimately, WB & DC have a movie to promote when it comes time to do so. Were I to guess, they will have Ezra out minimally at best for interviews/press events & sometime shortly after its release (within a month lets say), they'll have an official announcement about either Miller being let go officially and/or new casting. They also very well COULD opt to not have Barry Allen in the DCU but instead have it be Wally West perhaps?

They could also just… not release it.

2 minutes ago, Kal-El814 said:

They could also just… not release it.

What does that accomplish? Miller seems to be a terrible human being, not sure why that should be taken out on all the thousands of other people who put their efforts into making the film and releasing it.

3 minutes ago, sblfilms said:

What does that accomplish? Miller seems to be a terrible human being, not sure why that should be taken out on all the thousands of other people who put their efforts into making the film and releasing it.

Because they've shelved other less problematic projects maybe? Those other people you speak of have already gotten paid and whether or not the film comes out has zero bearing on them.

3 minutes ago, skillzdadirecta said:

Because they've shelved other less problematic projects maybe? Those other people you speak of have already gotten paid and whether or not the film comes out has zero bearing on them.

“They have done it in the past” isn’t a reason, just an excuse for indefensible decisions.

There are tons of people who get residuals on a major Hollywood flick, as well as those who use work like that as part of their resumé. My friends who work on the theatrical distribution team would certainly be hurt by not having a film that will make a couple hundred million as part of their sales commissions just because Miller sucks.

57 minutes ago, sblfilms said:

“They have done it in the past” isn’t a reason, just an excuse for indefensible decisions.

There are tons of people who get residuals on a major Hollywood flick, as well as those who use work like that as part of their resumé. My friends who work on the theatrical distribution team would certainly be hurt by not having a film that will make a couple hundred million as part of their sales commissions just because Miller sucks.

Relax man, you and I both know that anyone who worked on a film THIS big is doing ok an have probably worked on several films SINCE then. In fact the poeple who arguably would be hurt the most would be actors and day players who could use this as resume builders and would benefit the most from any residuals generated. Any crew that worked on this have been paid and have LONG since moved on and whether the film comes out or not, it's STILL on their resume. If you have friends in distrubution that would make hundreds of millions of dollars from this, I'm willing to bet that whether or not this film comes out that they are doing ok and will probably be fine. Please don't turn this into a pointless back and forth because you're bored. You KNOW why people think this film should probably be shelved... don't try to paint this as being "one for the little guy" when you have. vested interest in the film being released yourself :lol:

• Haha 1

16 minutes ago, skillzdadirecta said:

If you have friends in distrubution that would make hundreds of millions of dollars from this, I'm willing to bet that whether or not this film comes out that they are doing ok and will probably be fine.

I didn't say *they* will make 100s of millions, I said the film would. These are sales reps at Warners who get paid commissions on the sales generated by each print they get into a theater. People who have had their compensation decimated by Warners going from ~20 movies a year to like...6-7 in 2022. Most of these folks have a base pay in the $50k range living in L.A.

18 minutes ago, skillzdadirecta said:

You KNOW why people think this film should probably be shelved...

For indefensible reasons, since you can't actually explain why it should.

Morally, yes that Flash movie should absolutely be shelved based on the principle that the lead has done serious harm to the brand, character, himself, the studio, and let's not even begin to bring up those directly impacted by his selfish actions. That being said, Hollywood has never been morally good & because greed is king, the film was already shot (yes I know they did more reshoots) and the post-production is essentially complete, then why not just toss it out & use it as a tool to enact the change necessary to move forward. It's a tricky, sticky mess & a hell of a tight rope, best of luck on that & glad it isn't my headache.

15 hours ago, sblfilms said:

I'm not suggesting it would solve anything. They've scrapped other stuff for sillier reasons.

8 hours ago, SoberChef said:

Morally, yes that Flash movie should absolutely be shelved based on the principle that the lead has done serious harm to the brand, character, himself, the studio, and let's not even begin to bring up those directly impacted by his selfish actions. That being said, Hollywood has never been morally good & because greed is king, the film was already shot (yes I know they did more reshoots) and the post-production is essentially complete, then why not just toss it out & use it as a tool to enact the change necessary to move forward. It's a tricky, sticky mess & a hell of a tight rope, best of luck on that & glad it isn't my headache.

Ezra uses they/them pronouns.

4 minutes ago, Kal-El814 said:

I'm not suggesting it would solve anything. They've scrapped other stuff for sillier reasons.

Do you have examples of these sillier reasoned scrappings? Most of what I can recall has been for actual business reasons, not because the terminally online think it’s for the best :p 

And as I noted to skillz “they’ve done it before” isn’t a reason to do something now!

13 minutes ago, sblfilms said:

Do you have examples of these sillier reasoned scrappings? Most of what I can recall has been for actual business reasons, not because the terminally online think it’s for the best :p 

And as I noted to skillz “they’ve done it before” isn’t a reason to do something now!

Look man, Sober was saying, "how could they market this," and I presented a solution... nuke it from orbit. :p  I don't see YOU coming up with anything so elegant. Quite frankly, Solomon got called wise for recommending that a baby get cut in half and my proposal doesn't include infanticide, so... you're welcome.

fraser-doom-patrol.jpg
MOVIEWEB.COM

Brendan Fraser would have played the villain Firefly in the now-canceled Batgirl.

“Yeah, it's open season to criticize or praise it or whatever you want. But this didn't even really get a fair shake. That's disappointing for obvious reasons, but moreover, because little girls are gonna have to wait longer now before they can see a Batgirl who they can identify that says 'hey she looks just like me too' In Leslie Grace and she was wonderful. Oh gosh, she was good. Really terrific. She's a firecracker. Like dynamite comes in small packages for a reason. She's dynamo."

• Halal 1

“I have to say, this has got to be the wackiest hashtag ever,” Gunn responded to one fan calling for a SnyderVerse sale. “1) Netflix hasn’t expressed any such interest (although we’ve discussed other stuff) & 2) Zack hasn’t expressed any interest & seems to be happy doing what he’s doing (and, yes, we too have talked).”

“He contacted me to express his support about my choices,” Gunn added of Snyder. “He’s a great guy. Again, he seems really happy with the massive world building he’s doing now.”

snyder-gunn.jpg?w=1000&h=562&crop=1
VARIETY.COM

James Gunn says Zack Snyder contacted him and supports all of the changes being made to the DC Universe.

7 minutes ago, silentbob said:

Well he has Gunn to thank for that awesome Dawn of the Dead script to film. Who knows what the movie would have been in someone else’s hand but hard too top what we got. Still I think because of that script, he has Gunn to thank for his career fast start.

I wouldn't see there being any call for vitriol there anyway, even without the Dawn of the Dead history. His stance for a long time has been 'getting to finish my story would be nice, it's probably not gonna happen, if it does cool, otherwise that's life sometimes'. I can't see him throwing a hissy fit that WB is moving on without him, which is exactly what he's expected them to do since even before the Snyder cut came out. 

DC feels like the console wars all over again. People on the internet get so caught up in their side of some consumer war that they forget most industry professionals don't give a shit and more times than not admire one another.

2 hours ago, silentbob said:

Well he has Gunn to thank for that awesome Dawn of the Dead script to film. Who knows what the movie would have been in someone else’s hand but hard too top what we got. Still I think because of that script, he has Gunn to thank for his career fast start.

They honestly go well together. I know Gunn's a director now but Snyder's style fits Gunn's kind of tone for R-rated stuff.

4 hours ago, TheShader said:
snyder-gunn.jpg?w=1000&h=562&crop=1
VARIETY.COM

James Gunn says Zack Snyder contacted him and supports all of the changes being made to the DC Universe.

Why do the Snyderverse fans want it cancelled within two years?

• True 1

46 minutes ago, Jason said:

Why do the Snyderverse fans want it cancelled within two years?

Don't ask me, at this point I'm not even sure they exist. 99.99% of the toxic discourse I've seen on the internet has been from people that seem to have 'cut off Zack Snyder's head and parade it around town' on their vision board unironically. I don't think I've ever even seen one person go toxic in favor of Snyder. I only ever hear of their existence from the former head hunting crowd claiming how terrible Snyder fans are. 

• 2 weeks later...

One thing I'm thankful to Gunn for is his announcement making several comics in my collection that were worth nothing valuable once he announced. There was a Supergirl book that was sitting in my unread pile for a couple of YEARS now that when from being worth a dollar less than cover price to 70 bucks over night. I quickly read that bitch and bagged it up. 

• True 1
  • Hugs 1

9 hours ago, Remarkableriots said:
superman-dc-1.jpg
MOVIEWEB.COM

James Gunn was hired to write DC's Superman reboot months before Henry Cavill's brief return to the role.

So they lied to Cavill about having plans on him returning. I won't spend my money on another DC movie until a better company buys DC.

I don’t think you understood what happened.

Prior to the restructuring of WB, Cavill was being courted to do more Superman stuff. The people who wanted him to do so are gone and the Snyder era is winding down.

young-superman-1.jpg
FANDOMWIRE.COM

Henry Cavill's fans are raging at James Gunn for making a new revelation about Superman's age that would make firing the actor void

So here's the thing... DC comics was never very good at cross comics stuff, that's why it doesn't work. Marvel was built with so much cross publication in mind, they are the masters of it.. what's DCs biggest "crossover" the death of Superman where it's just like 10 supermen? Gotham and Metropolis are across the lake? This whole universe MAKES NO SENSE.

• True 1
  • Halal 1