The James Gunn's The DC Cinematic The Universe

16 minutes ago, Remarkableriots said:
young-superman-1.jpg
FANDOMWIRE.COM

Henry Cavill's fans are raging at James Gunn for making a new revelation about Superman's age that would make firing the actor void

I’m genuinely baffled by James Gunn engaging with randos on Twitter 

7 hours ago, Remarkableriots said:
young-superman-1.jpg
FANDOMWIRE.COM

Henry Cavill's fans are raging at James Gunn for making a new revelation about Superman's age that would make firing the actor void

Given Zaslav's cost cutting rampage it wouldn't shock me if this is just about getting someone cheaper than Cavill. 

• Halal 1

32 minutes ago, SuperSpreader said:

So here's the thing... DC comics was never very good at cross comics stuff, that's why it doesn't work. Marvel was built with so much cross publication in mind, they are the masters of it.. what's DCs biggest "crossover" the death of Superman where it's just like 10 supermen? Gotham and Metropolis are across the lake? This whole universe MAKES NO SENSE.

100% right... it's why they have to reboot their Universe every couple of years.  They just have never really been as good as Marvel with the shared universe thing even in the comics. It's not surprising that the Cinematic Universe is having the same trouble.

• Halal 1

4 hours ago, skillzdadirecta said:

100% right... it's why they have to reboot their Universe every couple of years.  They just have never really been as good as Marvel with the shared universe thing even in the comics. It's not surprising that the Cinematic Universe is having the same trouble.

None of it makes sense when you put them in the same world. You have to drastically change some characters and it violates what people liked about them anyway.

Like with Marvel there's no reason to not believe that Spiderman, The Fantastic 4, and Daredevil are all in Manhattan, and it makes sense that they sometimes cross paths. Like the places even make sense logically. The X-Men are in Westchester County, they even have an address! (1407 Graymalkin Lane, Westchester County, New York) It makes sense why they can sometimes meet up and sometimes don't. 

Gotham is across the bridge from Manhattan, is there a sad cloud always looming and raining on Gotham? wtf 

• Halal 1

1 minute ago, SuperSpreader said:

None of it makes sense when you put them in the same world. You have to drastically change some characters and it violates what people liked about them anyway.

Like with Marvel there's no reason to not believe that Spiderman, The Fantastic 4, and Daredevil are all in Manhattan, and it makes sense that they sometimes cross paths. Like the places even make sense logically. The X-Men are in Westchester County, they even have an address! (1407 Graymalkin Lane, Westchester County, New York) It makes sense why they can sometimes meet up and sometimes don't. 

Gotham is across the bridge from Manhattan, is there a sad cloud always looming and raining on Gotham? wtf 

I don't think DC even knows where Gotham is to be honest. It varies so much. Also Gotham is a city, right? What state is it even in???

• Halal 1

1 minute ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

My take is that the geographic relationship between Gotham and Metropolis mirrors that of Oakland and San Francisco.

And maybe Superman is a good Christian boy that has a pretty strict bedtime, so he's never up late enough to deal with all the nighttime sinners/villains Batman takes on.

• True 1

7 minutes ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

If Gotham really is across a bridge from Metropolis, then I wonder if Gothamites ever think they got the short end of the stick with their hero being a borderline psychotic who runs around in a bat suit and beats up poor people while the Metropolitans essentially have a literal freakin' god for theirs.

I mean, we still have Jets fans, so I'm willing to bet given time people will accept anything.

• Halal 1

1 hour ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

Gotham is located in New Jersey and Metropolis is located in Delaware.

Gotham_City_map_(Amazing_World_of_DC_Com

Pretty sure that map has LONG been made obsolete. Also in the comics Metropolis and Gotham aren't anywhere near each other. Bludhaven is across the bridge from Gotham in the comics. Again I'm not sure WHERE any of these places are in the DCU. I think it varies from story to story to be honest.

2 hours ago, skillzdadirecta said:

I don't think DC even knows where Gotham is to be honest. It varies so much. Also Gotham is a city, right? What state is it even in???

DC doesn't know where anything is supposed to be. Arrow starts with Oliver and his dad getting on the yacht to go to Asia (which implies west coast) and then at one point I think they showed a map with it somewhere in middle America. Marvel largely avoids this by mostly having fictionalized versions of real places instead of fake places that are supposed to slot into real geography (plus I just like having fictionalized real places instead of the very on-the-nose names that so many DC cities have, like Metropolis or Center City).

Also in Gotham I think the cars just had Gotham license plates. Pretty sure the Arrowverse shows do this with their respective cities too.

15 hours ago, Jason said:

DC doesn't know where anything is supposed to be. Arrow starts with Oliver and his dad getting on the yacht to go to Asia (which implies west coast) and then at one point I think they showed a map with it somewhere in middle America. Marvel largely avoids this by mostly having fictionalized versions of real places instead of fake places that are supposed to slot into real geography (plus I just like having fictionalized real places instead of the very on-the-nose names that so many DC cities have, like Metropolis or Center City).

Also in Gotham I think the cars just had Gotham license plates. Pretty sure the Arrowverse shows do this with their respective cities too.

The DC stories are fine as long as you are telling it within the confines of a city that who knows?? where it is, surrounded in mystery.

As soon as you have to deal with multiple places and logistics and solve how people get to each other it gets super weird and confusing.

Even the cinematography starts turning into a weird looking purgatory version of some generic place (who knows where). It happens every movie that I've seen, I've stopped watching them so maybe I'm wrong. I notice this in all the final battle sequences. 

The closest issue Marvel has is probably Wakanda and Talokan, but they kinda sorta solve it by just saying, "oh they are hidden" that's why people don't know the exact address. Sorta why Wonder Woman's island is the most believable in the movies. 

20 minutes ago, SuperSpreader said:

The closest issue Marvel has is probably Wakanda and Talokan, but they kinda sorta solve it by just saying, "oh they are hidden" that's why people don't know the exact address. Sorta why Wonder Woman's island is the most believable in the movies. 

We sort of have rough ideas for Wakanda and Talokan. Wakanda borders Uganda to the west, I believe. So a small chunk of like Kenya is missing in the MCU or something. I don't remember if this was ever outright stated in the movies, but it seems people are placing Talokan in the Puerto Rico Trench based on it being the deepest bit of ocean near the Yucatan. Either way, is definitely at the bottom of the Atlantic in the Gulf of Mexico/Caribbean.

• 3 weeks later...
ben-affleck-on-dcu-and-justice-league-16
WWW.IGN.COM

Ben Affleck has discussed the problems with Justice League and has simultaneously ruled out returning to DC to direct a film under James Gunn and Peter Safran's leadership.

Seems he does NOT hold Snyder in high regard as a director

The reason behind his decision to step away from directing in the DCU seems to be, at least in part, due to the experience he had on Justice League. He explained some of the issues they faced with the production and how he felt coming away from it.

"You could teach a seminar on all the reasons why this is how not to do it," Affleck said of the experience. "Ranging from production to bad decisions to horrible personal tragedy, and just ending with the most monstrous taste in my mouth.

"The genius, and the silver lining, is that Zack Snyder eventually went to AT&T and was like, 'Look, I can get you four hours of content,'" he recalled. "And it's principally just all the slow motion that he shot in black and white. And one day of shooting with me and him. He was like, 'Do you want to come shoot in my backyard?' I was like, 'I think there are unions, Zack. I think we have to make a deal.' But I went and did it."

Affleck confirmed that Zack Snyder's Justice League is his highest-rated movie on IMDb but the entire experience took a toll on him personally and he found that he lost interest creatively, so he has ultimately decided to take a step back from the superhero genre.

"All of a sudden I was getting congratulated for the bomb I'm in," he said. "But I was going to direct a Batman, and [Justice League] made me go, 'I'm out. I never want to do any of this again. I'm not suited.' That was the worst experience I've ever seen in a business which is full of some sh***y experiences."

He added: "You want to go to work and find something interesting to hang onto, rather than just wearing a rubber suit, and most of it you're just standing against the computer screen going, 'If this nuclear waste gets loose, we'll…' That's fine. I don't condescend to that or put it down, but I got to a point where I found it creatively not satisfying. Also just, you're sweaty and exhausted. And I thought, 'I don't want to participate in this in any way. And I don't want to squander any more of my life, of which I have a limited amount.'"

Absolutely insane that the Snyder cut is his highest rated movie on IMDB... fanboys fanboying :p and bots.

22 minutes ago, skillzdadirecta said:
ben-affleck-on-dcu-and-justice-league-16
WWW.IGN.COM

Ben Affleck has discussed the problems with Justice League and has simultaneously ruled out returning to DC to direct a film under James Gunn and Peter Safran's leadership.

Seems he does NOT hold Snyder in high regard as a director

Absolutelt insane that the Snyder cut is his highest rated movie on IMDB... fanboys fanboying :p and bots.

Hold up, Gone Girl has an 8.1 on IMDB, Good Will Hunting has an 8.3, and the Snyder Cut is 8.0. I know that's not much of a difference, but still, it took me a whole 12 seconds to find two higher rated Af-flicks.

38 minutes ago, TheLeon said:

Hold up, Gone Girl has an 8.1 on IMDB, Good Will Hunting has an 8.3, and the Snyder Cut is 8.0. I know that's not much of a difference, but still, it took me a whole 12 seconds to find two higher rated Af-flicks.

Maybe at the time they did that interview it was higher? I dunno... it shouldn't be higher than a LOT of films he's been in is the point.

That interview sounds like he's talking about the entire mess that was Justice League which included shitty producers and Joss Whedon being a psychopath. That mixed with just how exhausting super hero movies seem to be. While he may not being overly praising Snyder, either, the section where he talks about him seems to have less of a miserable tone. He also admitted to at least being on board with Snyder enough to be willing to shirk the unions to shoot an extra scene or two at Zack's house years after he finished the film. If he didn't respect Snyder at all, and Snyder was his biggest issue, I can't see him agreeing to that. 

3 minutes ago, TheShader said:

That interview sounds like he's talking about the entire mess that was Justice League which included shitty producers and Joss Whedon being a psychopath. That mixed with just how exhausting super hero movies seem to be. While he may not being overly praising Snyder, either, the section where he talks about him seems to have less of a miserable tone. He also admitted to at least being on board with Snyder enough to be willing to shirk the unions to shoot an extra scene or two at Zack's house years after he finished the film. If he didn't respect Snyder at all, and Snyder was his biggest issue, I can't see him agreeing to that. 

I didn't say Snyder was his biggest issue but he definitely didn't seem to really agree with his directing style and methods and the impression I got from him agreeing to shoot in Snyder's backyard was he was trying to be a teamplayer despite the unorthodox request. That has less to do with "respect" and more with him just being a stand up guy. You don't describe an experience as being "the shittyest experience in an industry FULL of shitty experiences" and walk away "respecting" one of the architects of that experience :shrug:

8 minutes ago, skillzdadirecta said:

You don't describe an experience as being "the shittyest experience in an industry FULL of shitty experiences" and walk away "respecting" one of the architects of that experience 

I mean...you 100% can. I have had some downright shitty jobs filled with shitty experiences and shitty co-workers/managers/bosses and still walked away having respected certain individuals. And most of those jobs didn't have the amount of assholes you get when working on a multimillion dollar Hollywood Blockbuster.

And especially when there are TONS of shit stories surrounding the production of that, and none of them involve Zack. Ben isn't the only one that has come out about how miserable of an experience it was, and all the stories are about how shit hit the fan after Joss Whedon was brought in. It's been fairly consistent that the problems with the production were largely the producers and Joss Whedon. Even Ben states that Whedon taking control is what pushed him to abusing alcohol while filming.

Every single horror story around that production inevitably involves Whedon, not Zack. I think saying Ben has a low opinion of Zack off of what he stated is reading text so in between the lines that it can only be located in the quantum realm. Especially when Ben himself is specifying that things spiraled out of control when Whedon came in.

4 minutes ago, TheShader said:

I mean...you 100% can. I have had some downright shitty jobs filled with shitty experiences and shitty co-workers/managers/bosses and still walked away having respected certain individuals. And most of those jobs didn't have the amount of assholes you get when working on a multimillion dollar Hollywood Blockbuster.

And especially when there are TONS of shit stories surrounding the production of that, and none of them involve Zack. Ben isn't the only one that has come out about how miserable of an experience it was, and all the stories are about how shit hit the fan after Joss Whedon was brought in. It's been fairly consistent that the problems with the production were largely the producers and Joss Whedon. Even Ben states that Whedon taking control is what pushed him to abusing alcohol while filming.

Every single horror story around that production inevitably involves Whedon, not Zack. I think saying Ben has a low opinion of Zack off of what he stated is reading text so in between the lines that it can only be located in the quantum realm. Especially when Ben himself is specifying that things spiraled out of control when Whedon came in.

Wait, how am i "reading into anything"? He NAMES Snyder in the interview and doesn't mention Whedon ONCE. You seem to be the one inferring that he's talking about Whedon when he doesn't even mention him at all. If the bulk of his shitty experience took place under Whedon, I don't think he'd be shy about saying so especially considering how much Whedon's reputation has tanked in recent years. He's being diplomatic when talking about Snyder but that's all it seems to be. He even mentions that the bulk of Snyder's "Extended directors cut" is mostly slow motion footage which could be an innocent comment, or it could be percieved as a subtle dig. I don't know, I'm not in his head, but I'm commenting on what he actually said in the interview and once again, He never mentioned Joss Whedon's name at all. Maybe he does respect Snyder as a director, I don't know but from my perspective, he doesn't seem to all that much based on this interview.