2023:

Psychonauts 2 - 10/10

Fire Emblem Engage - 7/10
Kirby’s Return to Dreamland Deluxe - 8/10
Hogwarts Legacy - 7/10
Cult of the Lamb - 8/10
Case of the Golden Idol - 7.5/10
Dead Island 2 - 8.5/10

Dead Island is a great example of developing with limits. Everything is well designed and thought out. I won’t add to much since I put my thoughts in the main thread. All I will say, this game is definitely worth your time and may be my sleeper GOTY 2023. GotG and Ghostwire Tokyo were my sleeper GOTY the two previous years. 

Yeah I’m right here with you, I’m raising my score to a 8.5 and the developer to my watch list.

• True 1

2023:

Psychonauts 2 - 10/10

Hogwarts Legacy - 7/10
Cult of the Lamb - 8/10
Case of the Golden Idol - 7.5/10
Dead Island 2 - 8.5/10
Star Wars Jedi Survivor - 8/10

Jedi Survivor is a great sequel plagued by technical problems. Performance mode is broken af. I had my fair share of freezes and crashes along with bugs that made me reset the game. It’s a bummer that such a massive title is released in this state and I played it after a few patches. 

The light saber combat is fantastic. I find the force stuff to be a bit underwhelming to the point, I rarely used it in combat. It had some great moments and set prices. Love the characters (Merrin DLC please). Story was sold. 

I debated the old IGN 7.9 for it because it is inexcusable to release a game in this state, but I really liked it so 8/10. 

Tails of Iron 10/10 

Far Cry 6 8/10

Diablo III: Reaper of Souls 10/10

Diablo III: Rise of the Necromancer

Burly Men At Sea 9/10

Final Fantasy VII Remastered 10/10

Final Fantasy VII Remake: Episode INTERmission 9/10

I finally finished it on hard mode!  I got all the trophies except for the added boss fight for Remake which I'll try to finish some other time.

I finished Disaster Report 4: Summer Memories, it was a quirky Japanese game that felt like a PS3/Xbox 360 generation game. While it has a serious theme of trying to escape out of a city during earthquakes, crazy and zany things are always happening. I found it entertaining throughout despite its somewhat dated graphics and technical issues such as occasional choppy and stuttering framerate.

2023 games

BloodRayne ReVamped

Fran Bow

Little Misfortune

Disaster Report 4: Summer Memories

Finished Phoenotopia: Awakening. I started on normal difficulty since while things like the stamina system were annoying it still seemed manageable but eventually I got fed up and activated a bunch of things to make the game easier. There were a few optional things left to do but I can't be bothered.

Tails of Iron 10/10 (Platinum)

Far Cry 6 8/10 (Platinum)

Diablo III: Reaper of Souls 10/10 (Platinum)

Diablo III: Rise of the Necromancer (all trophies)

Burly Men At Sea 9/10 (Platinum)

Final Fantasy VII Remastered 10/10 (Platinum)

Final Fantasy VII Remake: Episode INTERmission 9/10 (all trophies)

Back to the Future: The Game

8/10 (Platinum)

I had played this before but never finished it, so I started again and finished it this time. It would be nice if it had a sequel with better controls.

I started playing through the Armored Core games a couple weeks ago.

I just finished Master of Arena and before that of course Project Phantasma and the Original game.

I feel like the first game was the longest one, but the other two games actually have a big emphasis on story and cutscenes, also these ones introduce the arena into the game and while Project Phantasma doesn't require you to do them, you do get hidden weapons. Master of Arena kind of forces you do them. I'm not doing the ex arena stuff though. One thing I didn't remember from back in the day is the soundtrack is pretty good, it kind of reminded me of Leftfield a bit, that kind of Techno.

In any case eager to try out the PS2 games. While I I was able to get by well in the PSX games, none of them have dual analog stick support, you have to look up and down with buttons, so I'm interested to see what the controls feel like in Armored Core 2.

• Like 1

2023 trophy level is 333

Final Fantasy VII Remake: Episode INTERmission 9/10 (all trophies)

8/10 (Platinum)

Undead Horde (Platinum)

7/10

Decently fun short game.

Planet of Lana- charming little game that ultimately didn’t leave much of an impression on me

The Talos Principle- HOLY SHIT - Incredibly satisfying puzzle loop that made me feel like a goddamn genius. The sequel is now one of my most anticipated games.

2023 trophy level is 333

Final Fantasy VII Remake: Episode INTERmission 9/10 (all trophies)

8/10 (Platinum)

Undead Horde (Platinum)

7/10

Prototype 8/10 (Platinum)

That last fight was frustrating but I finally did it! Only .6% have earned that ULTRA RARE Platinum trophy! 

Tx3OMO3.jpg

I also had to share this because, OMG, hitting platinum on every event isn't easy, but I finally finished that!

Well, I wrapped up the story content of PSO2: NGS before the Ver. 2 update hits tomorrow.

I think early on, the game obviously didn't grab a lot of people, especially here. And the story was kind of ho hum. But the last few bits, Stia and beyond, get interesting and maybe even some effort was put into the acting. That being said there is a big revelation but it's kinda turned moot in a way, which I dunno. I guess it was kinda cool but then dumb. Worth seeing if you're anywhere near close to the end of the game. :p

2023 trophy level is 333

Burly Men At Sea 9/10 (Platinum)

8/10 (Platinum)

Undead Horde (Platinum)

7/10

Prototype 2 9/10 (Platinum)

I enjoyed this sequel over the original and it had better weapons.

• Halal 1

Finished a replay of The Last of Us Part II. This time on PS5. Much nicer running at a smooth 60 FPS. Game is still just as masterful and gut-wrenching as the first time I played it. I want a follow up so bad. 

10/10

2023 games:

Final Fantasy Pixel Remaster - PC

Fire Emblem Engage - Switch

Resident Evil 4 Remake - PC

Resident Evil VIIlage: Shadows of Rose - PC

Pentiment - PC

The Last of Us Part I + Left Behind - PC

Metroid Prime Remastered - Switch

The Last of Us Part II - PS4(on PS5)

59DI9gB.jpg

Catching up from beating this right before ToTK's launch.

It's hard to say anything much about it without getting too spoilery.  But its a fantastic send off to the entire arc of XB1, 2 and 3.  My only disappointment is that the environments aren't quite as memorable or sprawling as other entires in the series.  But to its credit, unlike Torna, it doesn't reuse the same locations from the base game.

It's also snappier than XB3 proper in combat, and there's a lot of QoL improvements in general that make it feel like a breezy game.  The characters are instantly relatable.  Most importantly, the closing hour or so is chalked full of twists and epic moments that don't feel budget at all.  It also adds a small tidbit that rounds out XB3's ending a bit.

Don't play it before you play the first 3.  But if you manage to make it through all that, there's this gem waiting for you.

9/10

2023 Games

Star Wars Jedi: Fallen Order - 8/10

Hyrule Warriors: Age of Calamity - 7.5/10

Xenoblade 3: Future Redeemed - 9/10

• Thanks 1

New Super Luigi U Deluxe

F.I.S.T

Huntdown

Forspoken

Grim Guardians 

Hogwarts Legacy

Dead Space

Uncharted 4

Moss

Super Mario Land 2

Kirby Return to Dreamland Deluxe

Gal Guardians

Hi Fi Rush

Resident Evil 4 Remake

Rocky Rodent

Last of Us PT1 w/ Left Behind

Dead Island 2

Super Mario Sunshine 

And adding today: Megaman 11 - I think this is a good entry, it’s definitely more my style than 9/10 - I really like the Megaman 8 look done up in 3D. Level design was solid. Reasonable difficulty. I’m normally more of an X guy but this is good stuff. I honestly hope Megaman 12 is a pretty direct sequel to this whenever it comes out.

New Super Luigi U Deluxe

F.I.S.T

Huntdown

Forspoken

Grim Guardians 

Hogwarts Legacy

Dead Space

Uncharted 4

Moss

Super Mario Land 2

Gal Guardians

Hi Fi Rush

Resident Evil 4 Remake

Rocky Rodent

Dead Island 2

Super Mario Sunshine 

Megaman 11

And just now: We < 3 Katamari 

Game is as fun as ever and this is a great port. Still some of the most fun pure gameplay out there.

2023 trophy level is 333

8/10 (Platinum)

Undead Horde (Platinum)

7/10

Dragon Quest XI: Echoes of an Elusive Age 10/10 (Platinum)

This was so fun and I really enjoyed the story! <3

• Halal 1

Marvel's Spider-Man - 8.5/10

The combat, traversal, and story are the highlights of the game. What keeps it from being 10/10 is that it does get some "open-world-itis." Too much repetitive side content, especially once you get to the DLC. However, I won't knock the game too much for it since a lot of it *is* totally optional. 

Also, the game ran like a gem on PC, right up until the last DLC chapter. For whatever reason, the game started glitching out like crazy. I had to restart the game numerous times during that chapter because a quest broke or didn't trigger.

Games of 2023 so far:

Assassin's Creed: Valhalla - 7/10

Tales of Arise - 7/10

Horizon: Zero Dawn - 8/10

Ys Origin - 8/10

Hellblade: Senua's Sacrifice - 8/10

Final Fantasy VII Remake - 8/10

Ys: The Oath in Felghana - 5/10

Hogwarts Legacy - 9.5/10

Mass Effect (replay) - 8/10

Mass Effect 2 (replay) - 9.5/10

Red Dead Redemption 2 - 9.5/10

Spider-Man - 8.5/10

• Like 1
  • Halal 1

2023:

Psychonauts 2 - 10/10

Hogwarts Legacy - 7/10
Cult of the Lamb - 8/10
Case of the Golden Idol - 7.5/10
Dead Island 2 - 8.5/10
Star Wars Jedi Survivor - 8/10
Ravenlok - 6/10

Ravenlok is an action adventure game on Game Pass. It’s the developer behind echo generation so I gave it a try. It’s heavily influenced from Alice in Wonderland which isn’t a bad thing but does nothing for me. Really that sentiment of it’s ok but does nothing for me sums up my feelings on this game. It’s so average that you can’t really form an opinion on it. You want to a short (3-4 hrs) linear game that is easy and you can platinum it, this is for you.

I finished King’s Bounty II which ended extremely abruptly, I got this message at the end:

To be continued... You completed this part of the story. Feel free to resume your adventures and complete the remaining side quests or just wander around Nostria as you wait for the story to continue.

So it turns out that the game isn’t complete, it ends only partway through the story. It came out back in 2021 and there hasn’t been any mention of them working on DLC or a sequel, so it seems unlikely that the story is ever going to continue at this point.

I really enjoyed the game, but they could have and should have ended the story where the game ends. However, for some reason they decided to leave the story incomplete and give that message at the end instead of providing an actual ending.

2023 games

BloodRayne ReVamped

Fran Bow

Little Misfortune

King’s Bounty II

New Super Luigi U Deluxe

F.I.S.T

Huntdown

Forspoken

Grim Guardians 

Hogwarts Legacy

Dead Space

Uncharted 4

Moss

Super Mario Land 2

Gal Guardians

Hi Fi Rush

Resident Evil 4 Remake

Rocky Rodent

Dead Island 2

Super Mario Sunshine 

Megaman 11

We < 3 Katamari 

And now: Sonic Origins (Sonic 1, Sonic 2, Sonic CD, Sonic and Knuckles playthrough’s as Amy besides Sonic CD as Sonic) - 10/10 - Great collection of a true classic series. Playing these again, they really are just great games nostalgia aside. Gameplay feel, level design, art, technology, music, sonic’s feet, depth of secrets, the games were solidly top of their class in every category for their time and the haters can hate hate hate 

The collection itself is great with lots of collectible art, missions, a mirror mode, all of the Sonic game gear games now. The remasters all look fantastic including the new (to origins) Sonic 3 and Knuckles one which is gorgeous. Really glad to have this package put together like this and have it on Steam for years to come.

I finished A Juggler’s Tale, it was a short but sweet 2.5D side scrolling platform puzzle game similar to Limbo, Inside and Little Nightmares.

2023 games

BloodRayne ReVamped

Fran Bow

Little Misfortune

King’s Bounty II

A Juggler’s Tale

New Super Luigi U Deluxe

F.I.S.T

Huntdown

Forspoken

Grim Guardians 

Hogwarts Legacy

Dead Space

Uncharted 4

Moss

Super Mario Land 2

Gal Guardians

Hi Fi Rush

Resident Evil 4 Remake

Rocky Rodent

Dead Island 2

Super Mario Sunshine 

Megaman 11

We < 3 Katamari 

Sonic Origins (sonic 1/CD/2/3/K)

SOP: Final Fantasy Origins 

Beat SOP today including all side missions and post game content I could see in about 32 hours. I imagine this takes significantly longer not in casual mode. I really liked this and it’s exactly what I wish other souls games would let me do so kudos for them adding this mode. Very fun action game with a story that's probably better than you think it is. Lots of fun 8/10 - Fun fact: This is the second final fantasy anything that i’ve beaten! First bring FF7R. I’m glad these are action games now.

13 hours ago, stepee said:

Fun fact: This is the second final fantasy anything that i’ve beaten! First bring FF7R. I’m glad these are action games now.

They would be better if they were action games with female protagonists, the Final Fantasy games have been nothing but sausage fests lately.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Phaseknox said:

They would be better if they were action games with female protagonists, the Final Fantasy games have been nothing but sausage fests lately.

You can have two women partners fight by your side at least and this one I’ll give a pass because Jack is amazing.

15 minutes ago, Phaseknox said:

I didn’t know that, I thought that even the partner characters were all male just like in Final Fantasy XV. In that case, I might check it out.

It starts out with two male companions and then pretty early on you pick up a female companion and then another. You might even be able to play as them in coop I’m not sure.

• Halal 1

On 7/6/2023 at 1:26 PM, Phaseknox said:

On 7/6/2023 at 1:28 PM, stepee said:

You can have two women partners fight by your side at least and this one I’ll give a pass because Jack is amazing.

On 7/6/2023 at 1:31 PM, Phaseknox said:

I didn’t know that, I thought that even the partner characters were all male just like in Final Fantasy XV. In that case, I might check it out.

Intermissions main character Yuffie materia hunter and ninja is female and kicks ass!

• True 1

trophy level is 340

8/10 (Platinum)

Undead Horde (Platinum)

7/10

Donut County 7/10 (Platinum)

Decently fun game

• Halal 1

I'm very very very close to the end of Zelda but since I've been distracted by Sonic, I haven't gotten there yet. So it'll have to wait to get on the list! For now, I've just been playing through Sonic games multiple times, and I have to say Knuckles in Sonic CD is perfect considering CD wants you to explore more and Knuckles climbing/gliding is perfect for that.

2023 Games

Starcraft (using SCII Mass Recall campaign)

Starcraft: Brood War (using SCII Mass Recall campaign)

Starcraft II: Wings of Liberty

Starcraft II: Heart of the Swarm

Starcraft II: Legacy of the Void

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Turtles in Time (arcade version from Cowabunga Collection)

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles (arcade version from Cowabunga Collection. Tried the NES version but the pacing is worse due to extended levels)

Resident Evil 4 Remake

Sonic the Hedgehog 1 (Sonic Origins Plus)

Sonic CD (Sonic Origins Plus)

Sonic the Hedgehog 2 (Sonic Origins Plus)

Sonic the Hedgehog 3 & Knuckles (Sonic Origins Plus)

Sonic Mania

What's with all the S's? Holy shit and then everything else is just around the S at R and T.

Conspiracy level happenings right now. :isee:

trophy level is 341

8/10 (Platinum)

Undead Horde (Platinum)

7/10

Donut County 7/10 (Platinum)

Batman: The Telltale series 9/10 (Platinum)

Loved the story!

I finished Shady Part of Me, it was a really good 2D/3D hybrid platform puzzle game with great art/level/puzzle design. However, like many indie games the story and ending were obtuse meant to be interpreted by the player which left me frustrated and unsatisfied because I couldn’t really make sense of it all.

2023 games

BloodRayne ReVamped

Fran Bow

Little Misfortune

King’s Bounty II

A Juggler’s Tale

Shady Part of Me