~*D1P's Games of 2023*~

Commissar SFLUFAN

9 hours ago, Brian said:

If I could go back in time, I would definitely skip FF16.  This was a tough decision between FF16 and AC Mirage. Since Mirage isn’t a mainline entry, I gave it to FF16. It does feel like I am done with FF. 

I really did try to wrap this one up before the end of the year, but probably have another 10 or so hours left.

I’m of a different mindset than many of you all about 16, but I’ll say that FF7R was a much more vibrant game in spite of similar flaws in its side quest design.  That’s the thing I really hope they reconsider going forward.  I don’t want quest markers in Final Fantasy games.

It hasn’t dampened my excitement for Rebirth at all.  First game I’ve pre-ordered in a decade, for the free DLC for Remake.

On 12/28/2023 at 12:41 AM, stepee said:

New Super Luigi U Deluxe

Pizza Tower

F.I.S.T

Huntdown

Forspoken

Grim Guardians 

Hogwarts Legacy

Dead Space

Uncharted 4

Moss

Super Mario Land 2

Kirby Return to Dreamland Deluxe

Gal Guardians

Hi Fi Rush

Resident Evil 4 Remake

Rocky Rodent

Last of Us PT1 w/ Left Behind

Dead Island 2

Super Mario Sunshine 

Megaman 11

We < 3 Katamari 

Sonic Origins (sonic 1/CD/2/3/K)

SOP: Final Fantasy Origins 

Mr Run and Jump

Koa & the Five Pirates of Mara

Immortals

Jedi Survivor

Switchback

Alan Wake: American Nightmare/Remastered Episodes

Control: AWE

Cyberpunk: Phantom Liberty

Sonic Superstars

Spider-man 2

Super Mario Wonder

Devil May Cry 5

Alan Wake 2 (nm I think this is goty)

RoboCop: Rogue City

Like a Dragon Gaiden

And just now: Lil Gator Game

What a touching and charming and fun game. I’d probably put it at #2 above GOW and just under Elden Ring had I played it when it came out last year. I definitely recommend it to any platform, Zelda, or Night of the Woods fans. Or basically anyone who has a heart. Definitely earns that 99% Steam positive rating. You’d essentially have to be a monster not to enjoy it.

What an amazing year of games. Especially the back of 23 just blew me away. There’s a lot of other games I enjoyed as well but just didn’t finish as other things come up, some of which I’ll finish in 24. Some I barely started like BG3 and SMRPG or am currently playing like AC6 and Starfield which I am highly enjoying.

My top 10 would be (in order):

Alan Wake 2

Super Mario Wonder

Spiderman 2

Pizza Tower

Robocop

Dead Island 2

Like a Dragon Gaiden

RE4 Remake

Cyberpunk Phantom Liberty

Hogwarts Legacy

I’d give honorable mentions but honestly this year was so good that I would just be going over my list again. Even stuff like Forspoken I actually thought was very good. And even something I felt was more mediocre like Avatar had some strong qualities and is probably the best tech demo out.

To pick my least favorite game this year I beat I would say Mr Run and Jump, it was just too difficult to be consistently fun. I’m surprised I continued on and beat that one. I love most of the games on my list because I played a lot more than that and typically only beat games I enjoy.

My least favorite of the games people have heard about is probably Avatar. But again, i beat it, so I didn’t hate it and could see some people liking it more. Especially someone who wants more of a challenge from it than I did.

My favorite game not from 23: Lil Gator - This would have been in my top 3 last year easily.

Game I really tried but just couldn’t get into it past a certain point: Zelda TOTK

And least favorite game that I even refunded which is rare: Hubris

• Halal 1

Most of the games I played in 2023 weren't actually from 2023... but I did manage to get in a few. Here goes, in no particular order...

Remnant II (haven't beat it yet, but it's my new addiction)

RE4 Remake

Alan Wake II (just started this one, but I'm a few chapters in and the presentation so far is off the charts)

Diablo IV

....Jeezus is that it? I have a few in my backlog, I just picked up Dead Island 2 on one of the holiday sales, but I haven't even started it yet.