Tom Henderson: dev kits for PS5 with detachable disk drive are now with developers and work "flawlessly"

Commissar SFLUFAN

Per Tom:

Small update on the PlayStation 5 that has a detachable disc drive - I've heard from two people now that the test kit is in people's hands and it "works flawlessly". We should hear more about it officially soon.

Follow-up to his report from September:

playstation-5-fd-1920x1080-1.jpg?fit=192
INSIDER-GAMING.COM

The PlayStation 5 is set to get a unique overhaul in the middle of FY 2023, with the new console launching around September 2023, say sources.

The PlayStation 5 is set to get a unique overhaul in the middle of FY 2023, with the new console launching around September 2023, say sources. 

Sources familiar with Sony’s plans have shared details under the condition of anonymity outlining the next iteration of the PlayStation 5. It’s been suggested that this new console will completely replace the A, B, and C chassis that have been in production since the console’s launch.

The console, currently named the D chassis PlayStation 5, will have almost identical hardware to the existing consoles already on the market.

The most surprising new feature of the new this new PS5 though, is that the console will have a detachable disc drive. The detachable disc drive will be connected to the PlayStation 5 using an extra USB-C port on the back of the console.

• Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to Tom Henderson: dev kits for PS5 with detachable disk drive are now with developers and work "flawlessly"

I would much rather have the disc drive than not.  But I could see a lot of people not caring if it turned out to be a pain to find/buy. They probably have a lot data with how people use their consoles and the disc drive is probably seeing less and less action as the years go by.  Discless PS5 could be $499 now, disc drive $99.99.

The only... ONLY... reason I'd be down for it is because out of all of my consoles, the one thing that has always fucked up on me is the disc drive. My original Xbox and 360 drives never want to open, my Dreamcast drive crapped out, and my Xbox One X's drive crapped out.

At least with this detachable garbage, if it fucks up it can be replaced. And it WILL fuck up (so it can be replaced.)

1 hour ago, DarkStar189 said:

I would much rather have the disc drive than not.  But I could see a lot of people not caring if it turned out to be a pain to find/buy. They probably have a lot data with how people use their consoles and the disc drive is probably seeing less and less action as the years go by.  Discless PS5 could be $499 now, disc drive $99.99.

I got the disc version with the intention that I would pretty much only be buying disc based games. I did that for about 3 months before I started buying digital. I hardly ever use the disc drive now. Swapping discs is too much like work. 

• True 1

59 minutes ago, nublood said:

I got the disc version with the intention that I would pretty much only be buying disc based games. I did that for about 3 months before I started buying digital. I hardly ever use the disc drive now. Swapping discs is too much like work. 

I don't even watch as many blu rays as I thought I would. Probably watched 5 or 6 since the PS5 launched.

14 hours ago, XxEvil AshxX said:

The only... ONLY... reason I'd be down for it is because out of all of my consoles, the one thing that has always fucked up on me is the disc drive. My original Xbox and 360 drives never want to open, my Dreamcast drive crapped out, and my Xbox One X's drive crapped out.

At least with this detachable garbage, if it fucks up it can be replaced. And it WILL fuck up (so it can be replaced.)

Yeah, this is one of the reasons why I’ve been waiting for the detachable disc drive PS5 to come out before getting one because I had to replace my Xbox 360 because the disc drive crapped out, and my PS4 disc drive has been acting up for a while now as well. Sometimes it reads discs, and sometimes it doesn’t.

1 minute ago, Spawn_of_Apathy said:

This way they can keep the price of the PS5 the same and increase it even more for anyone wanting to keep using discs. 

From my understanding they’re going to keep the price the same for both versions, $400 without the disc drive and $500 with it. $100 for the disc drive sold separately.

10 minutes ago, stepee said:

I don’t know why but I find “runs flawlessly” funny like it’s some shock, I don’t see why it wouldn’t lol

maybe they worried about the read speeds. For game development it would only need to install without losing or corrupting data. But for general home use it would need to also be able to stream from the disc to play movies. 

but yeah, it is an odd statement to make since detachable disc drives is not exactly new technology. 

2 minutes ago, Spawn_of_Apathy said:

maybe they worried about the read speeds. For game development it would only need to install without losing or corrupting data. But for general home use it would need to also be able to stream from the disc to play movies. 

but yeah, it is an odd statement to make since detachable disc drives is not exactly new technology. 

lol yeah I figured it had usbc also which should provide plenty of juice!

If they do sell a UHD Game drive on the side at a good price. I would hope there can be compatibility with a PC. Everyone raves about MadVR and it being the best program for watching your 4K discs on. I personally like the disc drive on my systems because of cheap games and trade-in deals still happening at my GameStop. It is what helped me get my copy of GoW:R being low on funds. Plus it’s always nice having backup UHD players if my Oppo 203 ever craps the bed (knocks on wood)