Gen V (The Boys spin-off)

silentbob

• 7 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
6 hours ago, Spork3245 said:

First episode sex scene. JFC.

I was preparing shoyu chicken when that scene hit in the background, the noises alone! :buttsex::thinking:

Seriously though, just so damn happy to be back in The Boys universe. I feel as though the surreal nature of this alternate world is even more emphasized than in the main series. It is SO out there, god dammit I freaking love this universe!

emil-antonowsky-i-like-it.gif

On 10/1/2023 at 10:49 AM, legend said:

Finally started this one, and I am on board! Better than I thought it would be.

Same! Just finished episode 1 and it was a solid start. Plenty of ridiculous, raunchy The Boys humor whilst setting up an interesting mystery while furthering the satire of all of this (Godolkin University has both a "Hero Ethics" and an "Understanding Branding" course which says it all just as one example). I know there were a lot of cast changes behind the scenes for whatever reason but I had no issues with the cast here. Having a metal-bender, a gender-bender, and a blood-bender will be interesting (and a psychic/empath type with Rogue from X-Men type gloves). Will definitely be watching the next two.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Jason said:

Episode 4 cock scene. :s

Yeah, that was classic The Boys and it was unsightly. I didn't even realize what was going on at first then it sank in. Still, he deserved it. Another good episode - the show is just fun to watch. Seeing Tek Knight's powers in action put the entire regular cast at unease, which was fun to watch. The only thing that's annoying is the show shipping everyone so fast but then these are college kids so it's not that crazy. 

• True 1

• 2 weeks later...

Episode 5 (of 8 for the season) dropped last Friday - the show is nailing the fun aspect of an R-rated superhero show really well while threading in some substance with many peoples' powers acting as metaphors for each characters' personal issues as well as topical young adult issues like suicide and date rape and being anorexic/bulemic. An entire episode devoted to the main characters losing their memories and being back at square one could come off frustrating but here it was well done and the show doesn't linger on it for so long that you're annoyed the characters aren't keeping up. I had suspected for awhile that Cate was a traitor given that she knew about Sam and the Woods (based on a flashback we were shown in a previous episode) but never said anything to anyone else after Golden Boy's death, and she plays dumb again here. It was also strange she started hooking up with Golden Boy's best friend Andre so fast after Golden Boy's death - a girlfriend that actually cared about Golden Boy wouldn't jump in to the arms of his best friend (and no so fast) so I found that suspicious too, as well as Sam saying he'd never let Cate touch him again, so clearly he knew something more was up with her. The biggest critique I'd give the show is the characters keep going off on their own to do things and don't work together and share information so everyone is on the same page. This is particularly galling in an episode where the main characters know their memories have been fucked with to various degrees so it would be even more important to work together. But these are college age kids so I'm expecting some stupidity as par for the course.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Greatoneshere said:

The biggest critique I'd give the show is the characters keep going off on their own to do things and don't work together and share information so everyone is on the same page.

Maybe they got some laid off Arrowverse writers. 

• Haha 1

Another really fun, well done episode - the acting these young people pulled off in this episode was very well done between Marie confronting her sister and Andre talking Cate into waking up. Also Soldier Boy cameo! Always love to see Jensen Ackles. It seems like finally everyone's memories are restored and everyone is on the same page and on the same side, finally ready to take on Dean Shetty and Dr. Cardosa. These last two episodes have been weird though since the first four episodes were grooming these heroes for the next step as the big plotline but that's all but been forgotten at this point. All that PR hero stuff has just been dropped.

I just watched the first episode and for the first time I actually got queasy from the... realistic amount of blood being shown on screen. I didn't feel like this during the orgy massacre, despite being volumes more gore, because it was just so absurd. I'm not sure I can even continue to watch the series if it stays like this. I'm also unnerved by the fact our protagonist has to cut herself to make use of her powers... that doesn't seem so good for my mental health. Can I stop now? Does it get worse, or does it lean in to other types of weird shit?

13 minutes ago, cusideabelincoln said:

I just watched the first episode and for the first time I actually got queasy from the... realistic amount of blood being shown on screen. I didn't feel like this during the orgy massacre, despite being volumes more gore, because it was just so absurd. I'm not sure I can even continue to watch the series if it stays like this. I'm also unnerved by the fact our protagonist has to cut herself to make use of her powers... that doesn't seem so good for my mental health. Can I stop now? Does it get worse, or does it lean in to other types of weird shit?

It leans into other weird shit and the blood bending becomes much more super-hero-y as the show goes on (meaning less gross) but part of the point of this show is to illustrate the connection between superpowers and young adult struggles (Marie has to cut herself, her roommate has to be bolemic/anorexic, another is basically a walking roofie). I'd stick with it, there's some typical The Boys stuff in there but they don't show Marie constantly cutting herself or anything.

• Like 1

One episode left to go. This show has played somewhat like The Boys season 3.5 given the implications of the virus Cardosa and Shetty were making along with Vought's CEO being involved and now Neumann making direct appearances. The implications of the virus and Marie's blood bending powers in terms of Homelander could also be important for The Boys' narrative. Curious to see how the show closes out season 1 - good to know it's already been renewed for a season 2.

And that wraps up the season - a good finale since we know that we're getting a second season (it would have been a terrible finale if not). I'm not sure I completely buy Cate and Sam's heel turn from killing Shetty and freeing the unfairly imprisoned kids in the Woods is one thing, but then to go on a human killing spree without distinguishing between who was part of the Woods with Shetty and who is just a regular human who works at Godolkin is a bridge too far. It's also a little unbelievable given all the footage that's likely out there of Cate and Sam and the kids from the Woods killing people that how Homelander frames the main cast instead and promotes Sam and Cate is also hard to swallow. 

I was also confused at Ashley's motivations vs. Homelander's. Ashley explicitly wants Sam and Cate, et. al. stopped and calls Marie for help. But then Homelander pins everything Sam and Cate did on Marie and crew later, and non-supe Ashley is presumably fine with that? It's nice the show is murky on motivations when the world of The Boys is built on sex, violence, and satire but still. Acting was great this episode as usual, and definitely some ramifications for The Boys season 4 (also, post credits scene with Butcher was fun).