Update: Gov backs down from outlawing strike, but fails to negotiate...so new strike incoming || Ontario Conservative government overrides constitution, eliminates right to strike for education workers

covid-ont-20220112.jpg
WWW.CBC.CA

The Ontario government tabled legislation Monday to prevent a strike by education workers represented by the Canadian Union of Public Employees (CUPE).

hCf32FG.png

The Canadian constitution provides a tool (called the Notwithstanding Clause) that allows governments to override some protections (not basic ones like freedom of speech, etc) for temporary periods of time. It's in there as a compromise, allowing some regions of the country and option to have slightly different powers/rights. Ford is going to use it to prevent 55,000 teachers from striking next week.

However:

9vaDrO1.png

Union is going to wildcat strike. Good for them, because the Ford government is horrible.

Colin D'Mello | Global News

@ColinDMello

BREAKING: CUPE says it’s 55,000 members will go on strike regardless of the government’s legislation in an open act of defiance. #onpoli #onted

10:21 AM · Oct 31, 2022·Twitter for iPhone

Just post things like that like this tbh ezpz

Ford’s an asshole and I still can’t believe with all the shit that happened before the last election. He still won with a majority government, but the Liberals were/are a joke of a party in Ontario right now. I hope they strike and force him to fork out the money and then I wanna see Nurses get a fair raise after 2, going on 3 years of working in hell. Just fuck my cheap-ass Ontario government 

• Halal 1

3 hours ago, stepee said:

Also I thought conservatives were all against overriding the constitution?

This isn't overriding the constitution, it is  invoking a clause of the constitution (specifically the Notwithstanding Clause) that overrides other clauses of the constitution.

Basically it allows the government to prevent the janitors from going on strike to shut down schools.

17 minutes ago, AbsolutSurgen said:

This isn't overriding the constitution, it is  invoking a clause of the constitution (specifically the Notwithstanding Clause) that overrides other clauses of the constitution.

Basically it allows the government to prevent the janitors from going on strike to shut down schools.

Why even use the caretakers in this example, when it's the teachers? The NWC shouldn't be in the constitution at all, and it's mostly been used to override valuable rights (three times by the Ford government, in fact).

27 minutes ago, AbsolutSurgen said:

so..they are okay with overriding the constitution as long as they use one part of the constitution to override other parts of it in order to take away rights lol

• True 1

1 hour ago, CitizenVectron said:

Misread the article. So my response now is...your point? Why should Ford override constitutional rights to force caretakers to go to work?

"Back to work" legislation isn't anything new in Canada -- Trudeau did largely the same thing to the postal workers in 2016.

All this does is prevent the drawn out legal challenges that somehow preventing people from striking is harming their freedom of expression.

These contracts expire every three years, and there is a long history of the various unions rotating strikes between the different unions to create as much disruption for parents as possible.  After all the pain these unions caused 3 years ago, I don't there are too many parents that are all that sympathetic to their cause.

3 hours ago, BloodyHell said:

Says the guy who used the Emergency Act to quell a protest.

Im on the side of CUPE, fuck the parents, but lets not pretend Justin is a man of the people.

I can't tell if you're being naive or obtuse to what is going on in this situation nor what went on over the trucker convoy.

The inquiry into the EA isn't going particularly well for the Government.  So far, the consensus seems to be that the convoy could have been cleared without it.  And, it was mostly incompetence on the part of the Ottawa police (in particular their police chief) that caused it to go on for so long.

Trudeau has mostly been silent on Legault's use of the NWC, which is far more egregious.

1 minute ago, AbsolutSurgen said:

The inquiry into the EA isn't going particularly well for the Government.  So far, the consensus seems to be that the convoy could have been cleared without it.  And, it was mostly incompetence on the part of the Ottawa police (in particular their police chief) that caused it to go on for so long.

Trudeau has mostly been silent on Legault's use of the NWC, which is far more egregious.

Inquiry has also revealed that police at all levels (Ottawa, OPP, RCMP, CSIS) were leaking info to the convoy organizers. So while it could have been cleared without emergency powers...it also couldn't have been done with the police that were involved (especially Ottawa/OPP).

17 minutes ago, AbsolutSurgen said:

The heads of the RCMP and OPP both testified they felt the convoy could be cleared without help from the EA -- and testified they told the federal government the same.

I guess it will come down to whether or not their testimony is believable (in that they actually were prepared to clean it up). Because the evidence from the ground indicates that police at all levels were unwilling to issue even parking tickets to the convoyists. 

"We could have cleaned it up."

"Okay, but why didn't you?"

"We didn't want to."

• Haha 1

What I have read about the testimony:

1) OPS was incompetent, particularly Chief Sloly

2) Some senior folks at OPP were in the process of developing proposal to take control from OPS (because they were incompetent).

3) Sloly resigned before they could do that

4)  Plan was in place to clear protest (the one that was implemented), and police did not feel they needed EA to implement this plan

I'm going to wait for the final report, but so far, it doesn't look good for the commission agreeing that the requirements of the EA being used were met.